The ratty/low/back to life/u.s.s/daily/ka24de 521 thread

datson4life

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I take the nut off like you have, remove the lock nut, and then put the nut back on the way you have yours in the photo above, then I stick a punch inside the nut on the end of the bolt and start pounding, the reason I leave the nut on is so it doesn't flare/mushroom the end of the bolt, I pound on it until the bolt moves, I pound till the nut is flush, then I back off the nut a little and pound some more till the nut is flush again, I do it this way till the nut has no more threads, then I use the punch without the nut, by that time it usually moves a lot easier.

I have failed to remove one in my 1963 Datsun 320, I could not get it out, I even made a setup so I could use a sledge on it and I still could not get it out, so I gave up, as all I succeeded in doing was dent my perfect valance.

I put a long piece of re-bar in the end of the nut and held it in position with my floor jack and I would hit the end of the re-bar like in the photo below, all I did was miss once and dent my valance.

DSCN0185.JPG

So then I found a big piece of flat metal and leaned it against the re-bar, then I could swing really hard without missing and hitting the valance or bumper.

DSCN0191.JPG

I finally gave up after pounding on it a couple dozen times like in the photo above as hard as I could, I put it back together the way it was, but I was able to put it back together because I had not ruined the end of the bolt pounding on it without the nut on it, it did turn harder, but it turned back on because I never took it off so I didn't care, I don't think I even put the lock nut back on, as it turned so hard that there was no way it would ever come off without extreme effort, it certainly would not rattle or vibrate off.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I was going to do this on my 620 frame and realized to do it I would have to change out to 620 or 720 torsion bars and the torsion bar cross members as well.  This is why after all the work I did customizing my 520 chassis I swapped a 720 chassis under it.

520FrameChanges_zps51b7debf.jpg

• Like 1

For several reason, to run a fatter exhaust and be low, and to not have to remove engine each time i do clutch or replace transmission

I wouldn't remove it, but you could make the holes the torsion bars went thru larger for the exhaust.

I would also remove the carrier bearing cross member and put one in that doesn't hang down if your going really low.

I suppose you could put a flat one in back of the one you have, and then cut that one out and put mounts on using a 720 transmission mount cross member, but when you do that plan on the exhaust going thru the cross member instead of above or below it under the cab itself.

There is a lot involved when you start messing with the cross members, I would just leave it myself, I mean how often do you have to replace the transmission or the clutch, but if your going to do it, now is the time.

Here is my carrier bearing cross member.

DSCN1337.JPG

It doesn't hang down at all now, and I didn't need to put a spacer under the bearing either.

DSCN1339.JPG

The E-brake junction on the carrier cross member.

DSCN1342.JPG

My frame in back of the front wheels is my issue now, and the front mounts for the rear leafs will hit speed bumps also, and I even raised them.

This is a 1986 Nissan 720 frame under my 1966 Datsun 520 cab/box.

DSCN1690.JPG

My shocks are not stock either, I used 1968 thru 1973 Datsun 510 wagon rear lower mounts.

DSCN2207.JPG

Here is the truck, it can be lower, but it starts dragging pulling into my driveway and I don't like it so I raised it about an inch, the only way I can get it to look lower now is to do a body drop or drive it into a hole.

DSCN3449.JPG

Here is when the front was lower.

DSCN2138.JPG

• Like 2

First off once you remove the torsion bars you will have a lot of room under there for just that, Second what are you doing exactly, making a bad ass build or making your life hard for some strange reason. You can easily modify the cross members for tucked exhaust and to go more low. Also if you do coil overs do it right my front end rides like shit.I will redo all of it sooner or later well if i don't stuff a LS2 under the hood anyway right spring ratings and make sure the lower you go the coil is mounted right for the compression and rebound geometry..

Merry Christmas

• Like 2

First off once you remove the torsion bars you will have a lot of room under there for just that, Second what are you doing exactly, making a bad ass build or making your life hard for some strange reason. You can easily modify the cross members for tucked exhaust and to go more low. Also if you do coil overs do it right my front end rides like shit.I will redo all of it sooner or later well if i don't stuff a LS2 under the hood anyway right spring ratings and make sure the lower you go the coil is mounted right for the compression and rebound geometry..

Merry Christmas

Blackmarkit's custom spindles should soon see the light of the world, coilovers would be comfortable, i wanna finish this one cause an ls1 drag truck is growing in me lol

Merry Christmas Tanker

• Like 2