Clutch replacement?!

Thisolddatsun

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe drill out the end of the crack to keep it from spreading?

I would not worry about that, that tranny will stay on there with 3 bolts just fine.

As long as the crack don't continue up the case, I would use it.

I would agree on 3 bolts holding it but I had 1 bolt rattle loose and fall out while I was driving and I think that's what made the crack and or cause the transmission to fail. Atleast that's what Im thinking. The you pull it here will charge me $163 for a transmission plus 30 core charge so looks like around 200 for a new transmission from pick n pull but its from a 86 nissan pickup 2wd. Itll fit cause its a z24 and 2wd so Im not to worried about it.

And I think the only way it will spread now is apart or down the bell housing. Not sure.

As I said, I would just use all 4 bolts and tighten it down tight, and then check them a couple times to make sure they were staying tight.

As long as the transmission you can buy is from a 2wd kingcab, I repeat, KINGCAB, then it will fit your truck, if it is from a regular cab, it's likely a short shaft, I cannot remember seeing a regular cab/longbox in an 85/86 model 720, but if they made them, it also likely has a short shaft.

As I said, I would just use all 4 bolts and tighten it down tight, and then check them a couple times to make sure they were staying tight.

As long as the transmission you can buy is from a 2wd kingcab, I repeat, KINGCAB, then it will fit your truck, if it is from a regular cab, it's likely a short shaft, I cannot remember seeing a regular cab/longbox in an 85/86 model 720, but if they made them, it also likely has a short shaft.

I figured I would measure it before I started taking it apart.

I also heard about using nail polish to help keep bolts tight. I use lockwashers and tighten them but they seem to come loose. Notorious for loosing a starter bolt every so often.

BTW there is only one way to get that cover off without breaking it. Remove the bolts and smack on the pivot ball.

FS5W71Bteardown002Large.jpg

Mike will a 5spd dogleg bolt to a NAPSZ engine? Is it basically the same as mine? I tried searching and couldnt find anything on it. What is the difference if there is?

Is whats the weight difference between a stock z24 flywheel and a z22 flywheel?

Probably the same. Only the bolt hole pattern will be different for the two PP diameters. Around 29 pounds.

What transmissions will bolt up? Im trying to find one and the cheapest Iv found is 350+75 core for a 5spd. Performance/ratios dont matter I just need to be able to drive. Will a 200sx 5spd work? 240sx? I heard Ka will bolt up as long as its 2wd right? I have 400 to get parts.

How long is your transmission? Any transmission that is bolted to a Z series engine in a 720 or S110 (200sx) as long as length matches.

Mike will a 5spd dogleg bolt to a NAPSZ engine? Is it basically the same as mine? I tried searching and couldnt find anything on it. What is the difference if there is?

It will if from an '80-'81 HL510. Not a strong enough transmission for a truck though. Besides the reverse above first shift pattern the Z series dogleg has a closer ratio gear set than the L series dogleg.

Probably the same. Only the bolt hole pattern will be different for the two PP diameters. Around 29 pounds.

How long is your transmission? Any transmission that is bolted to a Z series engine in a 720 or S110 (200sx) as long as length matches.

It will if from an '80-'81 HL510. Not a strong enough transmission for a truck though. Besides the reverse above first shift pattern the Z series dogleg has a closer ratio gear set than the L series dogleg.

Transmission is 31.5" the long one.

I know its not strong but I found a guy on craigslist with 2 l20s a l18 and 3 5spd doglegs that he wants to sell for around 1000 and I could use a transmission so I have a rig to drive around. Even if for a little while I get the old one rebuilt.

I would not own an L or Z series dogleg transmission, they are weak and will likely leave you somewhere you don't want to be.

How do you know that the dogleg transmissions he has for sale are even good?

If they are L block doglegs, you will not be able to use them anyway.

Was really trying to see if it would be worth the time for the 3 transmissions. If they wont work Im not interested. Im just really having a hard time finding a transmission cause theres not a whole lot of u pull it around. The best transmission I found has 97k and is out of a 85 2wd or 4x4. Collar and throwout bearing come with it and they want 350+75 core and I dont know if its the right length.

If it's out of a 4X4, the 85 year has a short shaft, if it's not out of a 2wd kingcab it's a short shaft, $425 is a lot of money for that transmission.

Thats why I had my doubts all my family says to go for it but I have a strong feeling its a short shaft and it wouldn't be to big of a deal But id rather not have to lengthen a driveline and deal with my shifter 5 inches farther away.

Was really trying to see if it would be worth the time for the 3 transmissions. If they wont work Im not interested. Im just really having a hard time finding a transmission cause theres not a whole lot of u pull it around. The best transmission I found has 97k and is out of a 85 2wd or 4x4. Collar and throwout bearing come with it and they want 350+75 core and I dont know if its the right length.

350+ 75 is outrageously high.

31.5" long the '80-'83 200sx will fit.

No joke, they really will sell at their listed price But if you need one now take what you can find.

Yeah but where I'm at is 425 whole transmission that's a shortshaft most likely. 400 1984 nissan 720 single cab overheated z24 2wd most likely a short shaft but I will have most of the parts and at the least I need to get a driveline made or from a junkyard from a 4x4 shortshaft.
  • Like 1