Clutch replacement?!

Thisolddatsun

Most 4 cylinder ones tend to be around 29 lbs. (trucks at least) I have a 280zx (larger six cylinder) and it was 21 lbs, The L28 has more rotational mass than a 4 cylinder. I think I have a 240mm in 29 and 21 lbs. A larger mass spins smoother with less vibration. A lighter flywheel may free up a couple of hp but like a header, no one will notice or care.  

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most 4 cylinder ones tend to be around 29 lbs. (trucks at least) I have a 280zx (larger six cylinder) and it was 21 lbs, The L28 has more rotational mass than a 4 cylinder. I think I have a 240mm in 29 and 21 lbs. A larger mass spins smoother with less vibration. A lighter flywheel may free up a couple of hp but like a header, no one will notice or care.

Ahhhh alright thanks Mike

All GL-4 oils must meet a minimum standard so cheaper is fine. Same with all engine oils.

Synthetic oil is 'thinner' than it's regular oil counterpart, I believe. Still does the same job but better. Check out this friction modifier from GM.... http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=27676 Hell I paid about $11 at liter for my semi-synthetic blend. Might try this.

• 2 weeks later...

when we did the clutch on my 81 4x4, i believe we justr loosened the mounts on the front diff, and with it "loose', it moved enuff out of the way to do the clutch. Of course we didnt have flywheel issues...but there's a thought. Ed

I think its my cltuch/throwout bearing. Not to sure on the flywheel. I thought loosening the front mounts would make more room I just didnt try it. Did you pull the cv axles as well?

If you have an engine hoist, I find it faster and easier to pull my engine than to drop the transmission to do the clutch. I find the front end disassembly to be a nightmare and pulling the engine to merely be annoying.

Wow, what a pain, I thought all that stuff was to the side a little.

Can't you just move the transmission back and work on the clutch/TO bearing, I do it all the time on my work truck, as I cannot drop the transmission without removing the clutch cover/disc and the transmission mount on the 521 cross member, there just isn't enough room.

I will admit it is a pain though, getting the disc alignment tool in and out of that area is a pain with the transmission there, I slide back the transmission, then I use a strap going across the torsion bars to hold the front of the trans. up there, but I believe that the 4X4 torsion bars are lower, so maybe a 2X4 across the torsion bars would hold it up there so you can turn the flywheel to get to the clutch cover bolts.

Not with the front diff in the way. I had the tranny crossmember and all that out of the way as well.

• Like 1

Wow, what a pain, I thought all that stuff was to the side a little.

Can't you just move the transmission back and work on the clutch/TO bearing, I do it all the time on my work truck, as I cannot drop the transmission without removing the clutch cover/disc and the transmission mount on the 521 cross member, there just isn't enough room.

I will admit it is a pain though, getting the disc alignment tool in and out of that area is a pain with the transmission there, I slide back the transmission, then I use a strap going across the torsion bars to hold the front of the trans. up there, but I believe that the 4X4 torsion bars are lower, so maybe a 2X4 across the torsion bars would hold it up there so you can turn the flywheel to get to the clutch cover bolts.

Thats how I managed to do it last time. Pulled the shift lever out rotated and lifted it over part of the frame. It was rather tight. Had to feed and out each part in onto the transmission nipple. Then back onto the flywheel and bolted down. Its do able buy reallu tedious to do along with putting the transmission/motor back together.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well it finally bit the dust today. Best I can come up with is the throwout bearing fell off the fork? Not to sure the fork is just hanging. I will take some pictures tomorrow before I start taking it apart. Only $111 dollars for the kit. Maybe I'll score a collar with it. Maybe not but itd be cool. New fork probably just so I can get rid of the old one and not have the adjustable pushrod.

• Like 1

So pulled the primary driveline and it started pouring gear oil out even though I replaced the seal. My question is I have two different driveline flange yokes one is long and the other is short Iv had the long one in and it seems to leak a little gear oil on the front driveline all the time. I do not have a picture of the short one as it is in the transmission stopping the gear oil from coming out while the long one is out.

I do have a picture of the long one 20150224_154609_zpsup9abocu.jpg

Whats the difference between the 2 and which would be better? Should have it apart tomorrow before work hopefully the old one out so I can compare it to the new one maybe leave with the new one and some nuts and bolts for my drivelines grade 8 allen bolts with some nuts. Really planning on using the small driveline end.

• Like 1

It's normal for the oil to come out when the drive shaft is removed. The seal only seals around the spline, if removed there is a big hole.

There is no difference between long or short spline and how well they seal. If one leaks, perhaps it has a worn area on it.  Try the shorter one but replace the transmission seal again they are only $3. Be sure to grease the seal or the spline before installing so it doesn't start up dry.

• Like 1

It's normal for the oil to come out when the drive shaft is removed. The seal only seals around the spline, if removed there is a big hole.

There is no difference between long or short spline and how well they seal. If one leaks, perhaps it has a worn area on it. Try the shorter one but replace the transmission seal again they are only $3. Be sure to grease the seal or the spline before installing so it doesn't start up dry.

If it doesnt make a difference then maybe Ill just stick with the one already on and I dont have to replace the ujoint. I just really wanted to know if it would make a difference or not if anything Ill pick up another quart of gear oil and top the tranny off after I Get it all back together. Kinda scared to open it up throwout bearing fork is just hanging I can move it all over the place like its not attached. I think I might have to get a new one of those as well. Hopefully the flywheel isnt damaged and maybe I can get it warrantied depending on how/what broke. But if that bearing came off good year is gunna owe me some money.
  • Like 1

The fork clips to the release bearing collar and as long as the fork is also cipped to the pivot ball on the trans it shouldn't come apart. If the slave and push rod is removed the fork could be pried forward of the pivot ball.... then it wouldn't take much to un-clip from the collar.

If you remove the slave and the clutch arm boot, you may be able to see in the boot hole and clip the fork to the collar and then push it back on the pivot ball. Flash light and long screwdriver will help. I haven't checked but likely the clutch fork may even fit out the boot hole?

The fork clips to the release bearing collar and as long as the fork is also cipped to the pivot ball on the trans it shouldn't come apart. If the slave and push rod is removed the fork could be pried forward of the pivot ball.... then it wouldn't take much to un-clip from the collar.

If you remove the slave and the clutch arm boot, you may be able to see in the boot hole and clip the fork to the collar and then push it back on the pivot ball. Flash light and long screwdriver will help. I haven't checked but likely the clutch fork may even fit out the boot hole?

I do not have a boot but it rattles all over the place and does not want to come all the way out. I was having clutch issues to begin with lots of slipping and not working properly. Also heard alot of sounds coming from the transmission/flywheel area figured the flywheel could use a lookin at as well. New clutch is at the parts store waiting for Friday. Doing it all from underneath the truck so Ill probably put a write up for it once I get done and take lots of pictures. Right now my primary and front drivelines are out and 1 bolt from the transmission is out. Just the starter tranny mount and the other 3 bolts and its time to finesse the tranny out of my way to pull everything out and put everything back in.