Clutch replacement?!

Thisolddatsun

The clutch cover/disc look fine to me, it's that front transmission cover that broke, I just cannot see the throw out bearing doing that type of damage to the front cover, the collar doesn't spin, only the throw out bearing spins, and when it quits turning it squeals a lot and can damage the clutch cover fingers, but the collar doesn't spin because the tabs on the collar would bind on the clutch fork, the collar is not going to spin, and yours didn't spin, but the tube the collar is on ground the shit out of the input shaft.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The clutch cover/disc look fine to me, it's that front transmission cover that broke, I just cannot see the throw out bearing doing that type of damage to the front cover, the collar doesn't spin, only the throw out bearing spins, and when it quits turning it squeals a lot and can damage the clutch cover fingers, but the collar doesn't spin because the tabs on the collar would bind on the clutch fork, the collar is not going to spin, and yours didn't spin, but the tube the collar is on ground the shit out of the input shaft.

It also cracked my shift fork as well and the whole collar started spinning. The fork wasnt hooked up to anything it was just a long for the ride.

Yea, but it was making noise before it caught on something and destroyed itself.

Find another transmission, just keep in mind that if you use the clutch cover you have now, you need to find another collar the same size, you can use just about any fork, they are all the same I think.

If you convert over to a 240mm flywheel/disc/clutch cover, then you need the collar for that which is slightly shorter, don't just go out and buy stuff, if you can find another early datsun truck with a 225mm clutch cover/disc, you could get the transmission, fork, and collar and put it in your truck and you likely would be good to go.

Yea, but it was making noise before it caught on something and destroyed itself.

Find another transmission, just keep in mind that if you use the clutch cover you have now, you need to find another collar the same size, you can use just about any fork, they are all the same I think.

If you convert over to a 240mm flywheel/disc/clutch cover, then you need the collar for that which is slightly shorter, don't just go out and buy stuff, if you can find another early datsun truck with a 225mm clutch cover/disc, you could get the transmission, fork, and collar and put it in your truck and you likely would be good to go.

Thats what I was getting at. A new clutch kit for a 240mm flywheel comes with the collar PP clutch disk. If I pull the transmission and flywheel from the same truck it all would work. The 225mm would be awesome but it all depends on what the PnP has year wise.

OK, I have converted my 521 work truck to a 240mm flywheel, but it is a work truck that carries big heavy loads and I have a trailer behind it too, that is why I did it, but the 225mm flywheel/clutch cover/disc are likely fine for your truck, but if you find a longshaft 5 speed out of a 2wd kingcab made after 1984, it will not hurt to buy the flywheel/disc/cover and collar, it's just more money out of your pocket.

I generally don't spend extra money on stuff like that, but if I have it around in my parts inventory, then I go for it, what I will spend extra money on is brakes, specifically 1986 720 front disc brakes, that is worth spending money on in my opinion.

OK, I have converted my 521 work truck to a 240mm flywheel, but it is a work truck that carries big heavy loads and I have a trailer behind it too, that is why I did it, but the 225mm flywheel/clutch cover/disc are likely fine for your truck, but if you find a longshaft 5 speed out of a 2wd kingcab made after 1984, it will not hurt to buy the flywheel/disc/cover and collar, it's just more money out of your pocket.

I generally don't spend extra money on stuff like that, but if I have it around in my parts inventory, then I go for it, what I will spend extra money on is brakes, specifically 1986 720 front disc brakes, that is worth spending money on in my opinion.

how hard is the 86 720 font disk conversion? And etheir way Im going to be out some cash. Need to get a new transmission, clutch, throwout bearing, shift fork, and fluid. Most of it I can land with the transmission from the junkyard. Z24 or z22 all the parts will be there. And my disk in the center is pretty thrashed. Do lots of pulling and offroading so the heavier flywheel would be a upgrade.

how hard is the 86 720 font disk conversion? And etheir way Im going to be out some cash. Need to get a new transmission, clutch, throwout bearing, shift fork, and fluid. Most of it I can land with the transmission from the junkyard. Z24 or z22 all the parts will be there. And my disk in the center is pretty thrashed. Do lots of pulling and offroading so the heavier flywheel would be a upgrade.

I don't see anything wrong with the disc, but I don't have it in my hands to look at, I would have to look at the clutch cover real close though, if the diaphragm fingers looked wore, then I would likely buy a new one of them if I had any concerns. 

This is a disc, which looks just fine to me.

20150303_115640_zpspr11hfun.jpg

This is a clutch cover

20150303_115644_zpsurgqw0ur.jpg

I wish you were closer, I kinda worry about all this since you likely didn't know the transmission bearing front cover was broke, that part breaking is likely why all the damage you have has occurred, I am the type that believes it is not good to change things that are not broke, and if one does change things, one should know how to do it before one does it, so many things go wrong when people start guessing because they have never done it before, putting the wrong collar in is a big one, lots of folks screw that one up and have to pull it all apart again.

I don't see anything wrong with the disc, but I don't have it in my hands to look at, I would have to look at the clutch cover real close though, if the diaphragm fingers looked wore, then I would likely buy a new one of them if I had any concerns.

This is a disc, which looks just fine to me.

20150303_115640_zpspr11hfun.jpg

This is a clutch cover

20150303_115644_zpsurgqw0ur.jpg

I wish you were closer, I kinda worry about all this since you likely didn't know the transmission bearing front cover was broke, that part breaking is likely why all the damage you have has occurred, I am the type that believes it is not good to change things that are not broke, and if one does change things, one should know how to do it before one does it, so many things go wrong when people start guessing because they have never done it before, putting the wrong collar in is a big one, lots of folks screw that one up and have to pull it all apart again.

I used the original collar that was in the truck. I just know the z24 clutch kit comes with the collar cause my dads pathfinder with a z24 did it. And my original clutch went on me. Replaced it then 2 or 3 months later I shattered out the center of the new one. Replaced it again and drove it till the trans died un knowingly. Like me and my dad talked about how we saw lots of metal shavings inside the case on the first clutch but we wernt to sure. But now were thinking it was more than just a clutch in the first place. Deffinatly something Im going to check everytime I do a clutch. This really sucks.

I forgot to answer your other question about the front brake conversion, it's really easy for you to upgrade, you take all the balljoint bolts out(upper and lower), disconnect the brake line from the frame on a 1986 720 at the wrecking yard, and install it on your upper and lower control arms, connect the brake line, bleed the front brakes, and you are good to go, but make sure the brakes are good before you pull them.

I forgot to answer your other question about the front brake conversion, it's really easy for you to upgrade, you take all the balljoint bolts out(upper and lower), disconnect the brake line from the frame on a 1986 720 at the wrecking yard, and install it on your upper and lower control arms, connect the brake line, bleed the front brakes, and you are good to go, but make sure the brakes are good before you pull them.

basically swap the whole knuckle? Hubs and all?

Yes, from balljoint to balljoint including balljoints.

Use the 86 ball joints? Thats awesome! Iv been trying to figure put if they can swap like that. The center hubs would allow me to buy cv axles from the autoparts store when they go out! Plus beefy breaks thats awesome to know! Haha guess front brake upgrade will come after the trans.

I screwed up here, I am thinking about 2wd trucks, I don't know a lot about 4wd trucks, I was talking about the brake upgrade as something I would spend money on over going from a 225mm flywheel to a 240mm flywheel, I forgot you have a 4wd, that is something I don't know about, you cannot use a 2wd balljoint to balljoint setup on your 4wd, I screwed up on that.

Use the 86 ball joints? Thats awesome! Iv been trying to figure put if they can swap like that. The center hubs would allow me to buy cv axles from the autoparts store when they go out! Plus beefy breaks thats awesome to know! Haha guess front brake upgrade will come after the trans.

I screwed up here, I am thinking about 2wd trucks, I don't know a lot about 4wd trucks, I was talking about the brake upgrade as something I would spend money on over going from a 225mm flywheel to a 240mm flywheel, I forgot you have a 4wd, that is something I don't know about, you cannot use a 2wd balljoint to balljoint setup on your 4wd, I screwed up on that.

drat. Well if 2wd to 2wd would work a 4wd to 4wd should work, right? Does this work as well with 620s? 2wd of course.

drat. Well if 2wd to 2wd would work a 4wd to 4wd should work, right? Does this work as well with 620s? 2wd of course.

I am sure that the 86 4wd truck has better brakes than your 81, but I don't know a lot about the front hubs on the 4wd trucks, if they interchange or not, I just don't know.

My thing is 2wd 720 chassis, yes the 86 720 brakes will bolt on to a 620 disc brake truck, balljoint to balljoint.

I converted over to disc brakes on my 521 work truck over ten years ago now, I used 620 bushings/lower arms/tension rods, extended 720 upper control arms, and I bolted V6 hardbody dual piston disc brakes/vented rotors to the truck without any other mods other than changing the brake line fitting on my truck to a metric thread, and now that I think about it, I used early 720/late 620 hubs, as I run 521/620 14 inch rims(stock rims).

Lengths are different but they also have like a metal extension on them. Something like that I think. Looks like the main diff mountain up front just unbolts and falls out so maybe you can use a 84+ diff mount. But yeah deffinatly. Can I swap just the rotors and calipers over?

Also back to thw topic V6 transmissions are a different bell housings from the z20/z24 right? Wont bolt up enless its a v6 correct? My dad happens to know where a v6 2wd transmission is.

That is the second one broke like that in the last couple weeks, what's up with that.

I wonder what is causing them to break like that?

Find another transmission, that one is buggered up now, easier to just put another good one in.

I don't know about V6 transmissions, I only know about the type in the 1980s 720 trucks which were used behind L4 and a few L6 engines.

Also back to thw topic V6 transmissions are a different bell housings from the z20/z24 right? Wont bolt up enless its a v6 correct? My dad happens to know where a v6 2wd transmission is.