Clutch replacement?!

Thisolddatsun

The 56mm countershaft bearing was changed to 62mm for '75 on the 71B transmissions. I believe the 1st/2nd shift rod was also enlarged but irrelevant if changing the transmission completely. This would only affect front case and cover plate swapping.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See the black plate with the round shifter hole in it that the shift lever is coming out of, that is the tunnel cover or as Mike just described it as the cover plate, if you put a short shaft in your truck, the shift lever is 5 inches farther forward in your 720, I have concluded that I like longshafts as the shift lever is closer to me.

DSCN4067.JPG

This is the console I am talking about, this one is a longshaft console with the change tray in front of the shift lever, the short shaft versions don't have the change tray.

DSCN1105.JPG

This is a shortshaft console, see how there is no change tray in front of the shift lever.

DSCN0754.JPG

Tunnel cover? Is that the shifter hole? Dont have a center console really it doesnt go past the transmission shifter then it goes to the tcase shifter. I dont really know he told me that its a whole 2mm difference in size and it prevents the transmissions from swapping over. He also seemed to think I had A 4spd in my truck too. But if it will bolt to my motor whats the internals matter right?

See the black plate with the round shifter hole in it that the shift lever is coming out of, that is the tunnel cover or as Mike just described it as the cover plate, if you put a short shaft in your truck, the shift lever is 5 inches farther forward in your 720, I have concluded that I like longshafts as the shift lever is closer to me.

DSCN4067.JPG

This is the console I am talking about, this one is a longshaft console with the change tray in front of the shift lever, the short shaft versions don't have the change tray.

DSCN1105.JPG

This is a shortshaft console, see how there is no change tray in front of the shift lever.

DSCN0754.JPG

So I have to have the cover plate? Isnt it just a hole through for the shift lever? And I dont know if I want the shifter 5 inches forward. I havnt ever done a whole lot with transmissions. But is that the difference in the transmissions is where the shifter location is? Guess they had to make them shorter some how. Is there any other benefits to swapping? Probably make the shifter shorter but I dont know if I want it 5" forward.

If you convert over to a shortshaft, it is 5 inches farther forward.

The reason there is a cover plate/tunnel cover is because of the 2 different length transmissions, they just put a long hole in the tunnel to accommodate both transmissions, and then made a cover with the hole in the proper place for the shift lever/transmission used.

So I have to have the cover plate? Isnt it just a hole through for the shift lever? And I dont know if I want the shifter 5 inches forward. I havnt ever done a whole lot with transmissions. But is that the difference in the transmissions is where the shifter location is? Guess they had to make them shorter some how. Is there any other benefits to swapping? Probably make the shifter shorter but I dont know if I want it 5" forward.

If you convert over to a shortshaft, it is 5 inches farther forward.

The reason there is a cover plate/tunnel cover is because of the 2 different length transmissions, they just put a long hole in the tunnel to accommodate both transmissions, and then made a cover with the hole in the proper place for the shift lever/transmission used.

Ahh I dont know if mine has a cover plate. Even for the long shaft. Does just the short shaft use the cover plate? Or is there supposed to be one there period?

All trucks should have a cover plate. It's just a plate with a hole in it to keep crap and sound out of your truck. The cover plate has a hole for the shifter. Since the shifter locations are 5 inches different between the long and short trannies, they moved the hole. Using a cover plate has nothing to do with what trans you have. WHICH cover plate you use has to do with which trans you use. And one can be made quite simply as they are just an oval of sheet metal with a hole.

And yes, that little shaft you posted a pic of is the intermediate shaft.

Why do you want a short shaft?

Awesome so it should just be a trip tp the local PnP and find a short tail and grab the driveline as well. What years 4x4 had the shorty I heard some 82.5 king cab 4x4s did. 2wd will work fine but id rather save some $$ on getting a driveline made.

Any 4x4 newer than '83 will have the short trans in it. Some before that may, but after that definitely. And the shift levers are different shapes to put the knob in a relatively similar position.

I would just replace the transmission with the same type you have, they are not any stronger than what you already have except for maybe the bearing being bigger, and if you find a 2wd 85 plus kingcab 5 speed, it will have the large bearing in it anyway.

shorter Transmission. But I dont know if I want my shifter moved 5 inches forward. Kinda like it where its at.

I would just replace the transmission with the same type you have, they are not any stronger than what you already have except for maybe the bearing being bigger, and if you find a 2wd 85 plus kingcab 5 speed, it will have the large bearing in it anyway.

Thats what I was thinking. I didnt think it all the way through I guess haha. Not sure.

You have not been doing this that long, and likely have not had to deal with the transmission before.

I didn't know any of this stuff either 5 years ago, but I was using dogleg 5 speeds in my work truck, after I went thru 4 of them in 5 years, I learned that I needed something else other than doglegs, I had heard that the 1980 720 front case would bolt onto a Z series longshaft transmission, so why wouldn't it bolt to the short shaft too, so I tried it and it worked, that transmission lasted me 5 years, and the only reason I replaced it was because it would pop out of gear in 1st under compression, and the second gear syncro was shot from fast shifting.

I needed the shortshaft because my work truck is a 521 that had shortshafts in them, and I still had the bench seat, so I could not have the shift lever 5 inches farther back, it would hit the seat, or at least I thought it would.

Thats what I was thinking. I didnt think it all the way through I guess haha. Not sure.

DSCN4067.JPG

Sorry wasn't clear. The cover plate is the one on the front of the transmission...

620CAFS5W71B85turbo200sx008Large.jpg

OK, I read to fast, so I quoted Mike as saying something he did not say, he was talking about the front case of the transmission, and I was talking about the cab tunnel and the cover that is screwed down onto it where the shift lever is.

ahh okay. So I got the clutch PP and bearing out today.

20150303_112911_zpswilawvbh.jpg

20150303_112903_zpsxltw1dyp.jpg

20150303_115640_zpspr11hfun.jpg

20150303_115644_zpsurgqw0ur.jpg

20150303_115651_zpsozdm4qr4.jpg

20150303_115701_zpsuy12bh46.jpg

Annndddd it's out!! Haha now just to decide if I want to rebuild it, buy a new one, or both. Hahaha actually saw this fourm http://community.ratsun.net/topic/49938-the-mongrel-gearbox-for-the-4x4-guyand-the-land-speed-record-guy/?fromsearch=1

Wouldnt mind building this if that's the case. Is it as simple as using the 280zx gears and sd22 main shaft? I heard its the same as the one I already have and if Im gunna rebuild it why not just build this one? I have never rebuilt a transmission but I have both a chiltons and haynes book. Should I rebuild it or do the 280zx internal build as far as experience wise? Thanks guys.

20150303_150124_zpshppz6rzw.jpg

20150303_150059_zpsmfxkxtap.jpg

20150303_150044_zpsu7isgump.jpg

That is the second one broke like that in the last couple weeks, what's up with that.

I wonder what is causing them to break like that?

Find another transmission, that one is buggered up now, easier to just put another good one in.

Collars are getting old? Best I could come up with. My clutch kit only came with the throwout bearing and it no longer spins. I was thinking of switching to a z24 flywheel its bigger and the clutch kit comes with the collar and bearing together already. Since I have the tranny out already I could just go find a 2wd z24 pickup with a longtail in it. But just was wondering. Plus that transmission build would be pretty sweet.

You know that front cover is broken, right?

That thing has been destroyed because the tube the collar slides on is gone, it ruined the input shaft, that is why I said find another transmission.

The collar doesn't spin, it just slides forwards and backwards on the front cover tube that is gone, when that thing let go, it should have made a hell of a lot of noise.

That is the second one broke like that in the last couple weeks, what's up with that.

I wonder what is causing them to break like that?

Find another transmission, that one is buggered up now, easier to just put another good one in.

Inside the collar is a cavity that is supposed to be packed with grease. That one is almost welded on.

You know that front cover is broken, right?

That thing has been destroyed because the tube the collar slides on is gone, it ruined the input shaft, that is why I said find another transmission.

The collar doesn't spin, it just slides forwards and backwards on the front cover tube that is gone, when that thing let go, it should have made a hell of a lot of noise.

I didnt know the cover was broken.

And yeah it did... it squealed and screached and I got it home. I honestly thought it was my clutch plate. I shattered out the center of a clutch disk and it made a hell of a noise. Freaking sucks.

This is what the front cover is supposed to look like, note the tube sticking out that you don't have anymore on your transmission cover, it's stuck in your collar.

DSCN4203.JPG

BTW there is only one way to get that cover off without breaking it. Remove the bolts and smack on the pivot ball.

FS5W71Bteardown002Large.jpg