Clutch replacement?!

Thisolddatsun

That will be a problem, looks like it was used after it fell apart, it needs a new cover, fork, collar, and input shaft assembly, it will be easier to find another transmission.

Already found a donnor truck just need the $$ figured take the tranny put the z24 on a engine stand and rebuild it and my tranny drop it into the 84 and I got a parts runner. Or swap my motor into it and drive it and build the z24 and tranny for my 4x4. Etheir waysounds like a win win and 400 bucks for a truck with a weber and good transmission sounds like a fair price to me.
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man i hope mine doesnt look like that!! i havent had near as many issues though

Probably could have been avoided if I had taken it apart sooner. But yeah... stupid ass me. Gotta say though for what itd worth its a tough little truck. I mean I beat the hell out of it all the time but its been pretty damn reliable the transmission was gunna go out. a bolt hole is cracked on the bell housing and I just replaced the engine. I knew next was the transmission/tcase. I love the trucks I want to get another one and the donor would be a good start for a 2wd one for summertime/commuter and my 4x4 will be the winter/play rig. Hopefully. Thinking Im going to end up putting my z20 from my truck into the donor truck and driving it while I rebuild the z24 and my transmission. Or go score a 82.5 kc 4x4 tranny thats 26" long compared to my 31 inch tranny. Give me a little more wiggle room for a clutch. Haha.

Yeah they are great. Im working on the collection, have 02 frontier, need another 90s hardbody (beach accident), have 83 720, and 6 and 520 in the future.

My dad has a 81 720 4x4 longbed thats falling off 1/2 chevy axles and is a sad shell, a 82 4x4 parts truck whats left of one atleast, my stepmoms 87 pathfinder 4x4 she DD my 81 720 4x4 was my DD and hopefully soon a 84-86 2wd 720.

The fork clips to the release bearing collar and as long as the fork is also cipped to the pivot ball on the trans it shouldn't come apart. If the slave and push rod is removed the fork could be pried forward of the pivot ball.... then it wouldn't take much to un-clip from the collar.

If you remove the slave and the clutch arm boot, you may be able to see in the boot hole and clip the fork to the collar and then push it back on the pivot ball. Flash light and long screwdriver will help. I haven't checked but likely the clutch fork may even fit out the boot hole?

So mike, I'm looking into getting a newer 720 with a z24 2wd 84-86 400 bucks and what Im thinking is dropping my z20 into it. Im pretty sure I know the answer just want to double check. The throwout bearing on the z24 is different than the z20/z22 so I should get a new clutch kit or swap the z24 flywheel and clutch over. I was thinking I still need a new clutch and I dont think you can buy just a throwout bearing? But my clutch cover and disk all seem good maybe Ill pull it out today and check it. Looking the cheap way but if I deffinatly have to get a new one I will itll just take longer.

If this is a Z20 from a 720 they have the same flywheel size as the Z24. (240mm) If the Z20 is from an A10 car you could put your 240mm Z24 flywheel on it.

The throw out bearings are all the same, but the collar or housing that holds the bearing varies in length to accomodate small changes in pressure plate sizes. If you swap your Z24 flywheel and PP over to the Z20 just keep and use the collar you now have on the Z24. Always instal a new release bearing unless it is already fairly new.

If this is a Z20 from a 720 they have the same flywheel size as the Z24. (240mm) If the Z20 is from an A10 car you could put your 240mm Z24 flywheel on it.

The throw out bearings are all the same, but the collar or housing that holds the bearing varies in length to accomodate small changes in pressure plate sizes. If you swap your Z24 flywheel and PP over to the Z20 just keep and use the collar you now have on the Z24. Always instal a new release bearing unless it is already fairly new.

The flywheel on the z20 is off a z22. So at the least change the bearing and use the z24 collar and use the PP from the z24? Can I interchange the clutch disks?

So if a 5spd from a z motor can swap to a 620 L motor can a 4spd from a l20b swap over to a z20 with little modifications?

OK, let's not get confused here, a Z car transmission will bolt to an L block, because the Z car has an L block, a 720 has a napZ engine except for the first year(1980) which came with an L block , a transmission from a napZ engine will not work on an L block unless you change the front case to an L block case, napZ cases are tilted to match the tilt of the napZ engine, while the L block cases are tilted to match the L block tilt.

Basically the same transmission is used on several vehicles, and several different cases were made to mate that transmission to several different engines.

OK, let's not get confused here, a Z car transmission will bolt to an L block, because the Z car has an L block, a 720 has a napZ engine except for the first year(1980) which came with an L block , a transmission from a napZ engine will not work on an L block unless you change the front case to an L block case, napZ cases are tilted to match the tilt of the napZ engine, while the L block cases are tilted to match the L block tilt.

Basically the same transmission is used on several vehicles, and several different cases were made to mate that transmission to several different engines.

So pretty much if I swap the front case it would work?

If you have the correct case for the engine you are using, yes.

I am referring to the 720 5 speed here, which was also used in the Z car among many other vehicles.

So I called the datsun guy here that lives close he said he has some 5spds 250. But I need to find out what size bearing I have in my transmission. How do I do this and will I have to tear it apart to measure it? I know itd a FS5W71B and its in a 81 720 4x4. Honestly the dude sounded like he was a little stingy about selling parts. Asked me if I knew what size bearing I had and if the transmission was out of the truck. Might just go buy the 4spd from my buddy. Itd closer and I can do payments on it. Just have to see if itll bolt up. Another thought to. How hard would a short tail transmission be to swap in? Mine is a long tail 31" and I feel like the extra 4.5" of room the short tail would give me would make changing the clutch easier and maybe a little lighter. Used search and I couldn't get the right answers. Are the transmission mount the same? Or maybe like a inch or 2 towards the front? And itd bolt to a z20-z24? I know they are the same (for the most part) but never hurts to ask. And driveline lengthening or just take the driveline with the shortail from the PnP? From what I've gathered the only difference between the 2 transmissions is the lengths. If I have to fork the cash for a new transmission figured I could try and get the short tail that I want. Wouldnt it just be as simple as pulling my transmission out and putting the short tail in and putting everything back together?

It will go right in place and bolt right up to the engine etc, not sure about the mount. The one thing you have to worry about is the intermediate shaft. You will have to get the long shaft to go with your short trans, or have your intermediate shaft lengthened. Supposedly the longer shaft reduced in cab vibrations, so you could even consider it an upgrade.

It will go right in place and bolt right up to the engine etc, not sure about the mount. The one thing you have to worry about is the intermediate shaft. You will have to get the long shaft to go with your short trans, or have your intermediate shaft lengthened. Supposedly the longer shaft reduced in cab vibrations, so you could even consider it an upgrade.

Intermediate shaft? Is that the drive line or the nipple/titty inside the transmission? Or the drive line? I noticed the transmission support/brace the part the tranny mount is on has 3 bolt holes on each side of the frame my transmission uses the 2 farthest from the motor. Im thinking the shorty uses the 2 closest to the motor?

Is this the intermediate shaft?

20150224_154609_zpsup9abocu.jpg

Shafts, mounts. More fab work than the worth.

Get another 31" trans. Really, how many times do you really plan on taking this out?

Not taking the whole trans out. Just move it back out of my way to swap a clutch. And the fab/mount work might be more than its worth but really the transmission is more than its worth. Iv spent so much money on the truck and its only worth that much to the right person. Cant even find Kelly blue book on the truck anymore. Actually had to go get the truck itself appraised and its not worth anything even after a new motor paintjob and countless hours spent working on it. Not saying I wont get a 31" I would just rather put a shorty in if I'm forking out a couple hundred for a new transmission anyways. If I did go get a shortt from a PnP Id grab the driveline and as much of the mounting stuff that I can. Atleast see how different it is from mine.

I don't understand why he needs to know what bearing size you have, if he will sell you a transmission that will bolt to a Z series engine, that's all that is needed.

If you have an 81 transmission, then it has the small bearing if it is originally from that truck, if it came out of a 2wd kingcab truck, then it could be either depending on what year it came from.

You can put what ever size bearing you want on it, you just need the front case that matches that bearing.

As for changing from a longshaft to a short shaft, the only thing you need is the driveline between the transmission and the transfer case, the trans. mount is in the same place, well you would also need the tunnel cover with the shifter hole in the correct place, and if you have a console, you will need the short shaft console also.

People on here(Ratsun) said the diesel transmission and the gasser transmission were different, but I have not been able to tell the difference, they seem like the same transmission to me.

So I called the datsun guy here that lives close he said he has some 5spds 250. But I need to find out what size bearing I have in my transmission. How do I do this and will I have to tear it apart to measure it? I know itd a FS5W71B and its in a 81 720 4x4. Honestly the dude sounded like he was a little stingy about selling parts. Asked me if I knew what size bearing I had and if the transmission was out of the truck. Might just go buy the 4spd from my buddy. Itd closer and I can do payments on it. Just have to see if itll bolt up. Another thought to. How hard would a short tail transmission be to swap in? Mine is a long tail 31" and I feel like the extra 4.5" of room the short tail would give me would make changing the clutch easier and maybe a little lighter. Used search and I couldn't get the right answers. Are the transmission mount the same? Or maybe like a inch or 2 towards the front? And itd bolt to a z20-z24? I know they are the same (for the most part) but never hurts to ask. And driveline lengthening or just take the driveline with the shortail from the PnP? From what I've gathered the only difference between the 2 transmissions is the lengths. If I have to fork the cash for a new transmission figured I could try and get the short tail that I want. Wouldnt it just be as simple as pulling my transmission out and putting the short tail in and putting everything back together?

It just doesn't matter what transmission you use in a 4X4, I have seen lots of 4X4s with 2wd short shaft transmissions in them, as they had a speedo drive in them, and normal 4X4s don't have a speedo drive access hole, but when that truck lost the tranny, they put in it what they could find.

Uberkeven has a 4X4 transmission in his 521 right now, he has not said anything to me about it having weird gearing, we changed out the tailshaft, and that tranny had the speedo drive gear on the shaft, even though it was a 4X4 transmission, at least it had the rear 4X4 tailshaft case on it, but it also had the small bearing and an L case on it, which I did not realize till he was here at my house.

Also...keep in mind, the gear ratios are different between 4x4 and 2WD models. 

Figure out how to remove the torsion bars and trans work will be a million times easier. 

It just doesn't matter what transmission you use in a 4X4, I have seen lots of 4X4s with 2wd short shaft transmissions in them, as they had a speedo drive in them, and normal 4X4s don't have a speedo drive access hole, but when that truck lost the tranny, they put in it what they could find.

Uberkeven has a 4X4 transmission in his 521 right now, he has not said anything to me about it having weird gearing, we changed out the tailshaft, and that tranny had the speedo drive gear on the shaft, even though it was a 4X4 transmission, at least it had the rear 4X4 tailshaft case on it, but it also had the small bearing and an L case on it, which I did not realize till he was here at my house.

I did not know that about Kevin. I rarely talk to him now that he has moved West. 

Good info.

I don't understand why he needs to know what bearing size you have, if he will sell you a transmission that will bolt to a Z series engine, that's all that is needed.

If you have an 81 transmission, then it has the small bearing if it is originally from that truck, if it came out of a 2wd kingcab truck, then it could be either depending on what year it came from.

You can put what ever size bearing you want on it, you just need the front case that matches that bearing.

As for changing from a longshaft to a short shaft, the only thing you need is the driveline between the transmission and the transfer case, the trans. mount is in the same place, well you would also need the tunnel cover with the shifter hole in the correct place, and if you have a console, you will need the short shaft console also.

People on here(Ratsun) said the diesel transmission and the gasser transmission were different, but I have not been able to tell the difference, they seem like the same transmission to me.

Tunnel cover? Is that the shifter hole? Dont have a center console really it doesnt go past the transmission shifter then it goes to the tcase shifter. I dont really know he told me that its a whole 2mm difference in size and it prevents the transmissions from swapping over. He also seemed to think I had A 4spd in my truck too. But if it will bolt to my motor whats the internals matter right?