Post Harbor Freight Fails

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I Love my Color Coded deep sockets on plastic racks, got 4 sets 2 metric 2 sae for the same price as one from any where else.

Impact sockets are great Too.

I have full sets of Snap On and Craftsman  but I us my HF instead because I can abuse them and not care.

Same with Box End wrenches 4 sets $ 7.99 ea.... I lock 2 together and stand on em , hit em with hammers.

I wouldn't do that to my Snap On jewelry.

Hey Come On Guys You know this going in.  IF they Break who fuckin cares as long as your not hurt .

All of my wrench sets combined are cheaper than one of my  Snap On 7/8 or 15/16 wrench alone.

^ I want that slide whistle!!!

Will my 20% off coupon with a free multi-meter work?

I Love my Color Coded deep sockets on plastic racks, got 4 sets 2 metric 2 sae for the same price as one from any where else.

Impact sockets are great Too.

I have full sets of Snap On and Craftsman  but I us my HF instead because I can abuse them and not care.

Same with Box End wrenches 4 sets $ 7.99 ea.... I lock 2 together and stand on em , hit em with hammers.

I wouldn't do that to my Snap On jewelry.Hey Come On Guys You know this going in.  IF they Break who fuckin cares as long as your not hurt .

All of my wrench sets combined are cheaper than one of my  Snap On 7/8 or 15/16 wrench alone.

Why would you abuse that junk when you have Snap-On tools to abuse?

For me, if I need to trust my life or limbs in a tool-it's going to say Snap-On on it. No question.

Good topic.

Their air hose quick disconnect couplings are junk. I have found that sometimes the male end just doesn't fit into the female end.

The grinders are disposable. I used to buy them and throw them away, but then after a bad one left me stranded, I only buy Milwaukee brand.

The electric pumps they sell for the parts washers have failed on me and are downright dangerous.

Cutoff wheels from them don't work well or last long.

I have a hand truck I bought from them and used once before it bent in the middle.

The steel they use in their shop tools is usually thinner and substandard/low strength. Which is probably why the hand truck bent.

I'm sure I will think of more Harbor Freight fails.

I bought a set 1/2" drive impact sockets on the way to the junkyard because I forgot mine at home. $16 bucks on sale I think. They have been great. I even used one of them many times to smash over theft proof lug nuts that I didn't have the key for. Super happy with em. Also happy with the 1.5 ton aluminum floor jack for $69 and torque wrenches... other stuff too.

Also agree that tape is terrible and their grinders are disposable but what do you expect for $9.99. They even come with a bag of extra brushes. Dead giveaway.

With cheap prices it's a bit of a gamble.

I love the cheap ass grinders I have one with a cutoff, one with a grinder wheel, one with a flap disc and I need to pick up another for my wire wheel. Saves so much time not having to swap out a disc for a different job every time I need it. 

Love my press, I picked up a SWAG Mfg press brake for it that gets used all the time. The blue faux leather mechanics gloves are great and I don't mind destroying them for the price. 

You just have to be a discerning shopper, I get way more wins than losses. :)

• Like 2

I use the steel air couplers and they seem to hold up pretty good, far better than the brass ones that are too soft.  Back when they were mail order only I got a set of punch and chisels that were made out of the same pot metal shit they make carbs out of, doubt they would hold an edge for long. 

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but what should be done to any angle grinder, regardless of make is to open up the gearcase and get rid of the cosmoline / fish grease that they come with and replace with some good moly grease and about a teaspoon of power punch or STP type additive.  They run quieter and cooler and that virtually eliminates failures there.  There might be a bit of seepage at the seam depending on fitment, but they should be cleaned and blown out periodically anyway.