Getting old doesn't suck so much.

I took a new job recently about 30 miles from the house. I've been commuting in my 77KC, and feeling pretty old with the harsh ride, shitty seats, Basic rusty 620 trying to keep up in the fast lane.

I realized last week that my Grandpa was right, when he told me that mileage didn't mean shit, and that power and comfort were more important. I decided to look for a car that would kick some ass on the super slab, without hurting me physically.

My first thought was a 5.0 mustang, but my budget was $4500.00, so the pickings were slim.

I went to see my good friend Joe at Autotrack in Mt Vernon. Joe has sold me a few of the best rigs I have ever owned. He tells me what he pays for them and makes a few hundred bucks off me. Win Win.

This is what I ended up with. 1991 Mercedes 500 SL roadster. 111k miles. convertible hardtop and softop. 322hp/342tq. Runs and drives AMAZING!!  New Pirelli P7 run flats. It is filthy on the outside, spotless inside. Needs a good hot bath and a coat of wax. 

$4500.00 , no shit.

20141115_123331_zpsab05190b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Wayno. The ratings say about 14 town/18 highway. The auto KC only got 19. It has been promised to my nephew for a while now. As soon as he shows me a licence. So I had to replace it sooner or later. I just chose sooner. I will still have 4 Datsuns after that.  

• Like 1

Sweet deal man :thumbup:

I thought so. NADA says it was $90k new, and worth about $11,500 now. I would say this one is closer to $7000 to $8000. But the dizzy caps (yes there's 2) are $85.00 each. I haven't found much else that gives me sticker shock. I Have always had a soft spot for european cars, just couldn't afford them. I was a mechanic at the old University Porsche/ Audi in much younger days, and I've been to Bosch FI school. So outside of wiring gremlins, I THINK (and hope) I can handle it. We'll see.

Remember an older merc has vacuum controlled EVERYTHING.

HaHa, so does my F250. My old tbird had vacuum wipers. I,m pretty sure I just stepped in a big pile of dogshit, But as soon as I got it in the fast lane, I was sucked in. It's possible in the future I will start a thread telling you my tale of woe, and warning you all to run like Hell from them. But today I am pretty stoked.