To pull or not to pull

q-tip

The front crank seal on my ka in my 510 started leaking pretty bad and I need to change it. The question is should I pull the motor out to change it or drop the cross members and drop the engine just enough to get the crank pulley off? And I want to get this done so I can drive the dime to canby this year

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Atleast it wasnt that bad. :lol:

I got the rad and the fan pulled, the belts off and proceeded to roll the car over the wheel chalk trying to get the crank bolt loose.....looks like km going to need to enlist some help....

• Like 1

if the motor cranks in the proper direction you can also put a breaker bar wedged on the frame and bump the starter

for future removals of course as you already have the pulley removed

side note pull the coil wire before doing it this way  

IMG_20140530_180505_572_zpsgn79ctoy.jpg

Got the pulley off, it has about a .005-.010 groove in it, am I going to have to replace it?

They have(repair) speedi-sleeves or redi-sleeves to help repair worn grooves just like yours.

You can get them from rockauto or a parts house.

Here's a thread related to your occurence = http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=176667

As another option... if you cheat with how far the seal (in accordance to where the actual lip rides ..not sure that will even work for your engine) goes in "exactly" in relation to the groove.. you "may" be able to get away with it sealing up. I've done it on a rear-main seal on my L28 in a pinch (as a surprise I didn't plan for + I needed the car the next day for work) when it needed to get done that night (otherwords I would have ordered a repair sleeve). It's never so much as seeped or leaked to this day. Although I would not do this if I had the choice of time to replace either the part itself (whole crankshaft in my case) or obtain a repair-sleeve the right way for longest life and less chance of butt lice. :)  Just make sure the pulley itself is not bent or wobbling (like my truck was) , and it should be "ok".

Ah yeah.. I'm not with the pull the radiator crowd .....

I am with the "cut the front half of yo car off to replace a seal or engine" crowd ...  :lol:

• Like 1

Be sure to grease the seal lips so it doesn't start up dry.

Chevy replacement front seals are different from the factory. When pounded in they seat farther in and ride on the unworn portion of the crank. I found this true of the 71B rear seal. It was slightly thinner and tapped in further onto the tranny spline.

No more oil leak, damn water pump belt was a real pain in the ass to get on, actually broke one.

Problem nownis I think the thermostat isn't working properly, going to try a just taking it out and seeing if it still gets hot.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

if the motor cranks in the proper direction you can also put a breaker bar wedged on the frame and bump the starter

for future removals of course as you already have the pulley removed

side note pull the coil wire before doing it this way  

Just saying maybe put the car in gear and then have someone step on the brake!