droopy eyelid visor mod to 7" headlights.

Ok so I have a pair of your ballasts and want to buy some headlight enclosures to fit into my datsun 280zx.

I want to use these headlight visors from a similar sized 7" sealed headlight.

The chevy sealed headlight uses a retaining ring on the outside and the visors fit inside the retaining ring.

I want to either buy a pair of 7 " headlight enclosures for a 280zx and fabricate the visors onto them

Or

Buy a pair of chevy headlight enclosures and fabricate them into the headlight buckets.

And I want to run hids with them so it can't be a sealed headlight.

The attached pictures show the visors and how they look mounted on a chevy

And the headlight buckets and how they are mounted on the datsun.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HIDs are not designed to work in the regular filament reflectors. Light sprays every where. You've probably been blinded by some ricer idiot with them. Get the proper projector lamps and you won't need those.... things. Projectors have the correct beam cut off and you won't get light spraying back at you. Other on coming drivers will like you for that too.

That is a Morris minor not a Chevy ,,,,,BUT ,,

30 some bucks isn't really that much to try them ,, and it would probably be a heck of a lot easier to modify that design ( if needed) than to start from scratch. Since they already have the arch you want and what-not.

Sometimes holding something in your hand that is almost what you want , will start the wheels in your head turning.

Well have to ask why you want them. HIDs used in ordinary filament reflectors throw a huge blinding beam of light that also reflects back at the driver, especially in fog rain and snow. That shield or guard isn't going to work for that.  To get the proper beam spread and cut off so you don't blind oncoming cars a proper HID projector lamp is needed. I think for a \Z car they won't look quite right.   

I don't care if they blind other drivers really. I just hate the candle light power I have now and want some ridiculously bright headlights.

Hids are the brightest you can get and when I'm hauling ass on mountain roads at night I want to see as good as possible.

Let's focus on how to mod on the eye lids.

I bought the pair. I'm going to try and screw them onto the sides of the enclosure or mount them to the headlight buckets first.

I just don't know if o should by headlight enclosures from the car they are supposed to fit on and mod those enclosures onto my car.

Or mod the eyelids to fit into my enclosures

Good advice on the projector but I think those look really bad.

I want it to look as stock as possible when the lights are off.

The eyelids will only be for looks not to serve a purpose of light reflection.

They will most likely harm the view of my high beams.

But maybe they will spread my light broader across the lower view.

Not caring about blinding oncoming drivers is selfish an dangerous... to you!

Sure won't look stock with those things on them. Do yourself and every other person in front of you a favor and forget this and buy some driving lamps that bolt onto the bottom of the bumper and  can be turned off when not used.  .

• Like 4

I don't care if they blind other drivers really.

You've got to be FUCKING KIDDING me ????

Even HID's already being blinding as fuck .... you want to haul ass down the mounting roads , and be able to blind all the drivers even more ???

Wow...

Fog lights or some shit ... screw them down below then be done with it.

Wait until you get stopped or run off the road by someone with a gun/pistol/ballbat on the wrong day ... at the wrong time.

It's called ROAD RAGE , and you're igniting the shit for it to burn towards you...........

I know an officer that says he's dealt with too many of those the last few years.... IN OREGON ...

Also a different cop that deal with these things (kids that don't listen , completely abnoxious lighting , etc ) in his "own way" if you get my drift.... best case scenario is paying the billion dollar fine to get the car out of impound..... at best !!!

I like the droop/lazy eye look .. on some older american cars that have accompanying metal chrome bling to compliment it.

Make the smart choice though really....

There are plenty of HID setups that are good. I don't mean to get on the bandwagon with the haters, but, DON'T BE A DICK. Spend your money somewhere other than walmart and get some lights that you and the drivers around you will like.

I put Hella H4's in my last truck and loved them. They make a nice pattern down low on low beam and reach out on high. I could pull up to my garage on low beam and have a perfect line where the light would not go much above the light itself.

• Like 1

Wow ya the enclosures are not blinding everywhere like datzenmike said. These are made for hids. And ya I want them as bright as possible. The eyelids will make it so they are not at eye level to other drivers.

I made an hid kit on my kawasaki like this with a 350z ballast and used an eyelid to make it so the light doesn't travel to high.

My response was that I don't care if other drivers think they are too bright.

Not that I'm going to shine it in there face.

"I don't care if they blind other drivers really. I just hate the candle light power I have now and want some ridiculously bright headlights."

My bad for not reassuring you guys but this imposed that I want bright headlight.

Not that I want to blind people.

OK SO,

Back to my original question, without you guys thinking im an asshole.

Forget about hids or no hids.

I'm going hids.

I'm looking for ideas in MOUNTING THE EYE LIDS.

datzenmike has thrown my thread accidentally in the wrong direction.

Let's focus on how to mod on the eye lids.

"I bought the pair. I'm going to try and screw them onto the sides of the enclosure or mount them to the headlight buckets first.

I just don't know if o should by headlight enclosures from the car they are supposed to fit on and mod those enclosures onto my car.

Or mod the eyelids to fit into my enclosures"

Anyone have any ideas on how to mount these?

As you may notice by my first response,, I don't give a flying fuck about brightness.  But It is almost impossible to give you input on mounting as you have only posted one ebay type cell phone screen shot.

It would be like someone posting a Craigslist ad photo and asking specific questions on the suspension setup.

It costs absolutely nothing to post pictures,, but your time.

I ordered the parts I'll Take pics when I can.

Maybe imagine something that is the exact circumference as a 7" headlight.

Lets hope this thread isn't like every other thread on ratsun and hybridz where people just try to stir up sht.

Eyelids on a Z? That's about as retarded as this thread. 

Why not just do it correctly? 

Well at the risk of stirring up shit, I have to agree. Those eyelid visors are not for correcting the mistake of running improper HIDs in improper housings. Projector housings will look and work 10Xs better than some retro lampshades on a Z car.

• Like 1

Well at the risk of stirring up shit, I have to agree. Those eyelid visors are not for correcting the mistake of running improper HIDs in improper housings. Projector housings will look and work 10Xs better than some retro lampshades on a Z car.

If photobucket was working-I have the coolest lampshade meme. 

I'll put that on the back burner for now. 

There are plenty of 7" HID projector housings out there. 

One on eBay now that almost looks like there is not a projector in it. Very subtle. 

What color you even planning on running?

If photobucket was working-I have the coolest lampshade meme.

I'll put that on the back burner for now.

There are plenty of 7" HID projector housings out there.

One on eBay now that almost looks like there is not a projector in it. Very subtle.

What color you even planning on running?

That's something I'd be interested in because I hate the way projectors look.

I'm planning on running 15000k which is purple.

That was a trick question. Purple, ay?

Wrong way in the color spectrum.

Going past 5k/white just makes your brightness/visibility decrease.

Which to me-is the opposite of what you're wanting to do.

Research prevents noobery. Try it.