explain what makes a bluebird a bluebird...

Ok ill admit i know next to nothing about datsuns but i am learning. I thaught a bluebird was just a two door and setup right from the factory. But ive now seen pics of 4dr bluebird 1600's that really dont look any different then my car. I tryed googling it and didnt come up with what i wanted to read and i typed in "bluebird" into the ratsuns search engine and came up with nothing but some cool threads. So now i come askin this question.... what makes a bluebird a bluebird and why is it different then mine if mine isnt a bluebird????

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The term Bluebird extended well before and past the 510 that we got but was used in other export countries. http://www.nissan.co.za/en/web/heritage/bluebird.htm

In Japan they are Bluebirds but in NA they are 510s. Datsun owners like to call their cars by the Japanese names... like my 710 is also known as Violet.

Here we got 2 and 4 door sedans and wagon 510s. In Japan there were Bluebird Coupes with different roof lines and engine options.

Can only 510 owners answer this please?

4drs can be blue birds as much as the coupes.

Our left hand drive cars are called 510s because Datsun felt the American public wouldnt respond well to the name BlueBird.

• Like 1

So besides my car being a usdm car theirs nothing wrong with me throwing a bluebird badge on it and calling it a bluebird??? or is that a sin.....haha its not like im selling it or calling it a SSS. In japan is the bluebird just the standerd modle? I know they always have different motors in their cars then we do.

So besides my car being a usdm car theirs nothing wrong with me throwing a bluebird badge on it and calling it a bluebird??? 

Nope, tons of people do it. 

In japan is the bluebird just the standerd modle? 

All 510s (and 610s and beyond) were marketed as Bluebirds. There are SSS Bluebirds, GL Bluebirds, Deluxe Bluebirds... quite a few variations. They are ALL Bluebirds. 

I know they always have different motors in their cars then we do.

Not really. Mostly the same engines, but with some differences. Each market supported different accessories and some markets limited what options were available because of emissions and such. 

Feel free to call your 510 a Bluebird and if you have 510/1600 Bluebird badges, run them if you want. 

In Japan the term "Bluebird" was usually applied to the entry model in the annual automobile lineup.  They could be compacts or slightly larger cars as the domestic market grew.  Example, the first generation Altima in the USA was a tarted up JDM Bluebird.  Add extras, run up the price and rename it for us customers.  It was  a trial run and sold enough units to justify an Altima specific design for the home country and the next generation export markets.

Can only 510 owners answer this please?

4drs can be blue birds as much as the coupes.

Our left hand drive cars are called 510s because Datsun felt the American public wouldnt respond well to the name BlueBird.

Actually Mister K was adamant that a "Bluebird" was the wrong designation for the 510 series.  He had replacement  "510" emblems made up, and intercepted the first shipments, had the "Bluuebird"  emblems replaced with his "510" emblems and sold them like crazy.  Factory soon relented and badged them 510s.  Wonder where the original Bluebird emblems went, would be worth a lot today.

What does the gl trim consist of?

Grille, grille emblem, center console, steering wheel, taillights, rear emblem... And I think there's GL specific fender emblems, but that may be certain years only (I can't remember).

Personally if you don't have at least the appropriate grille and taillights with the matching emblems you don't really have a GL. Thers no chassis differences so those small things matter.

Good luck finding most parts these days lol.

Well the taillights and emblems will be the hardest to find. 

Depending on the year of your car there are two grille options. One is the all metal with the center pushed out in a square. The second is the half plastic/half metal black grille everyone is so in love with ( :yawn: ). Either can be found. Ive had two sets of tails and only one had the center garnish. Its hard to find any part of the tails generally. Then you need all the matching emblems which Ive almost never seen for sale... 

Do you have pictures of your car and what you call a GL?

I have not seen or heard of a gl till today when someone mentioned a gl.

Oh, you said you had a GL earlier... the things I listed (GL, Deluxe, SSS) are trim levels and not chassis differences (Coupe, sedan, wagon).