little miss. to-do list pg 38 and first post

hobospyder

forgot to mention but i think i'm going to have to cut the passenger drum to get it off the hub, really don't want to risk screwing up my hub but i can't see how to release it otherwise. damn thing is on there good, spent another half hour beating it with my bfh to no avail. even pulled everything off the spindle and tried hitting the hub out of the drum (used some wood to protect hub from hammer and space the drum off the floor)

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

worked this morning before going to the circus with daughter and mom. went out to the shop when i got home since it was daughters bedtime anyways. looked at hub and drum on the couple of peices of wood where i left them, found out the bearings had fallen out the other side so pulled the outer bearings out and one hit straight to the hub and it popped out. started putting passenger side back together since that was the side with the most light. this is where i left off

20151003_200521.jpg

20151003_200536.jpg

yup, i'm good at making a mess of tools and parts when i'm working

• Like 4

i think it's a 13/16ths master that i picked up, i'll take a picture of it when i'm down at the shop next if i remember. bought it when i got the rear disk conversion kit. everything was bought from california datsun llc when they were datsun parts llc. after seeing reviews i've been questioning it but seems pretty good so far

i've noticed the prices have come down on the conversion kits but they also don't come with stainless steel lines anymore from what i can tell.

which reminds me, had an issue last night getting the old rubber hoses off of the hardlines, any advice?

It looks like he gets his brake parts from Krecs (member here) and willwood. As long as the kit is complete you should be good. 

As far as the lines, you might want to invest in some brake line pliers to make it easy. There is always the vice grip technique though if your not to worried about the hardline nut shape.  

Hardliners nuts got a little rounded so I guess I'm going vice grips

And yeah the plates are Krecs. Got the ke on them, I think he switched suppliers after I picked mine up. Everything seems to be there, adapters, rotors, calipers, pads and fasteners.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got off on time today, baby girl was still at school and the girl that has recently been holding my attention had stuff to do so off to the shop I went.

20151012_163151.jpg

Passenger side about halfway there I think.

20151012_163208.jpg

Drivers side ready to be bled and have tire mounted up

• Like 3

next up is finish the other side, bleed both and start on the rears. then i gotta tackle the master cylinder.... not really looking forward to that

i've had the parts since the middle of last year some time, don't remember when i bought them but if i go back through the thread i can tell you (give me a minute cuz now i'm curious). trying to get all my random odds and ends that i've collected over the past year and a half onto the truck now. these are the start of that

So time for an update I guess since I've found my thread again

Purchased and received: rear brake disc conversion and larger master cylinder, all around weather seals for Windows and doors, tires for the wheels (not installed, May shove the fronts on just to check clearance) retroaudio radio for when I eventually get around to doing the interior

Purchased and have to pick up stock tach and windshield on Sunday, get to meet a ratsun member in the process.

Installed Weber carb but managed to botch it so new fuel pump sitting in my Dd waiting for me to get home and have time to install and see if that was the issue or not since I'm not getting gas to the carb.

Killed my battery a few days ago because I forgot to take the key off run when I went to bed the other night when I figured out that I wasn't getting gas to the carb. May be low on gas, May need fuel pump, May need new hoses, it'll get figured out eventually.

Going to try to make it to the golden gardens meet even if I don't have my Ute running in time, would be nice to meet some datsun peeps in person and put faces to the names. Only got one datsun person in my life and she's not on ratsun for various reasons.

Yes I'm special, I can break a vehicle when I ain't even around it, I'm also at work posting on my phone so no oics right now sorry, maybe when I get home and I'm having a smoke I'll try to snap a few

so the last box with brake stuff got to me before 30april of last year...... damn i'm slow

• Like 1

If you manage to get the rear backing plates off with adjusters and whatever... I'll take it. If they are trashed then nm. My dad needs these parts for his 620.

I'll take the axle to my mechanic, hopefully he can get them without damaging them, will keep you informed

Came home, started little miss, went inside to take a dump so she could warm up for the drive to the shop. Found out my drivers side caliper is leaking (shoulda used thread tape I guess) so get to head down to the shop and get brake fluid everywhere if it doesn't all leak out before I get out there again. Been hearing rumours of designated 12s coming up so good money at least. Also scratched the shit out of the back of my rim since I left my vice grips on the brake line like a dumbass. Pictures in the future

• Like 1

whoops..

I wouldn't use thread tape on brake hardware. Either crush washers, or double flares to seal brake shit. Nothing else, unless premature death is something you're interested in. :)

• Like 2

I guess I'll just tighten it down then. It's a threaded angle adapter that goes into the caliper that is leaking. Watching my daughter otherwise I would go take pictures for yall. Maybe tomorrow depending on the time I get off work.

Power was off in the shop when I got down there so really wasn't in a good mood. Got a years worth of power bill to pay since the power company didn't have the shop meter attached to my property, address for the shop being "sterling addition" so it wasn't connected to the house when I started service on the house last year...... gonna be a long winter of not much getting done around my place because I can't buy new parts for anything.

Little miss needs an alternator and that caliper fixed, won't be getting to the rear brakes for awhile since I think I'm going to have the mechanic go through the rear axle and replace the pinion seal as well as making sure the gears are good and replacing the bearings (does the rear have bearings) while he has it to remove the backing plates (sorry draker, will seriously keep you updated on the progress of this, wish I could get it done sooner for you). Not to mention the l20b sitting out in the shop that I need to get to machinist along with two heads to get checked and put together before balancing. Got a line on a Ka and a tranny for a good price that I need to save for along with other things. Can probably do the ka and transplant and just start hoarding my money, haven't figured it out yet

All the above for little miss added on top of maintaining house and home and reliable vehicle for getting to and from work. Gotten to living a little outside of my means recently and need to get back within them. My sincerest apologies to everyone I'm affecting with this.