1977 620 KC - New to me, definitely not new

Idaho Hillbilly

Hello, long time lurker, first real contribution to the forum.

So, a couple of years ago, I purchased a 521 that I had planned to do a long term restoration on. I drove it for a few months and it developed a rod knock. I ended up parking it and a few months later it was vandalized by some yahoos to the point that it was not salvageable (or at last not cost effective). I ended up hauling it to the scrap yard.

Fast forward another year and I was in the market for another Datsun. This time I decided that a King Cab was in order for my 6'2" frame. Seeing how I live in the middle of no where and I had little money to spend, my options were going to be limited. I finally came across one almost 3 hours away, listed with a blown head gasket for $500. The pics looked decent, body looked straight with not much rust. The poster confirmed most of this through emails, going so far as to say the bed was "straight as an arrow". Anyways, after a 3 hour drive in nasty slushy roads I arrived to see my prize. It turned out to be pretty heavily rusted in the rockers and door bottoms (floors are solid though!) and the paint is bubbling in quite a few areas around the rest of the body and bed. The interior was pretty shot and the tires are beat. It is rocking a sweet body lift though :D So, I ended up paying $350 for it and dragging it home. 

It wouldn't start at all, so I figured I'd start with a compression test. Cylinders 1 and 4 both had about 160psi. Cylinders 2 and 3 both had 0 psi. That was a little discouraging, but I had hopes for a drastic head gasket failure.This, coupled with spark plugs in 1 and 2 that had about .000001 gap all contributed to the no start I'm sure! haha,  The tear down began and as it turns out, there was a pretty good failure between 2 and 3!

So, now that I've blabbed through that, on with the important stuff: OICS!

12825632153_a76cca33d4.jpg

12825980504_3fcdbcfda8.jpg

12825632123_2f2cf45a46.jpg

Just a slight failure...

12825632163_2582b04058.jpg

12825979994_aa536e8258.jpg

12825979704_c6b8cb64f2.jpg

And does anybody have even the slightest idea what this key slot would be for?!?!?!?!

12825564755_d6d7677320.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know about the alarm. That'll disappear at some point then. Rebuilt the carb yesterday. Every single adjustment was WAY off. I can't believe this thing was even running before the head gasket issue between the carb, two plugs with no gap and several backed out intake bolts. Going to try and get the head back on today, but its only suppose to be 16° and I'm working outside, so maybe not! Haha

• Like 1

Do not use the shims.They change rocker geometry.For a U-67 casting the following numbers apply:

New:4.26

minimum : 4.245

Other heads will be the same or similar.

If there is enough "head" left,use the advance holes on the cam gear-that's what they're there for.

• Like 1

Sorry, guess I'm being dumb. What do the 4.26 and 4.245 #s relate to? I understand that if the head drops, there will be some added "slack" to the chain, but I'm missing why that would need compensated for. It seems like the tensioner would just soak it up? As long as piston/valve clearance stays good, right?

• Like 1

Got that part :) I don't have a quality straight edge to measure with, but in the area of the head gasket failure, there is easily enough roughness to feel with your finger and it is visible. I'll be visiting the machine shop tomorrow.

Is there a good source for the material to raise the can towers?

• Like 1

Those numbers are from the bottom of the head to the top surface of the head where the rocker cover mates to it.Have the machine shop measure head height and if it is with in spec(they'll have the spec for that head),then take up the chain slack using the advance holes in the cam gear.THe tensioner is NOT designed to take up a lot of slack.

• Like 1

Well, head was already down to 4.240 when I dropped it off. Did some searching and found Fuel Pro makes a head gasket shim that is .020" thick. The guy at the machine shop said he has used them on Yotas with good results so that's what I'm going to try. The part # is 21178SP for anyone interested.

• Like 2

Well, here is a picture of the cleaned and resurfaced head. I've got the manifolds and everything back on it now, just waiting for that spacer to show up for reassembly. There are a few rough spots in the block that i'm a little concerned about, but I don't have the time or means to pull this engine right now. Also, I have a 2.3l turbo motor from a ford turbo-coupe I plan to swap in possibly this summer, so its just gonna go back together as-is.

12994286205_050e92cd1a.jpg
Untitled by jmbecker25, on Flickr
  • Like 1

Huh, missed that thread.... didnt come up in search either. Miss anything good?

I've got a pretty thorough Ford background. I was a senior master tech for them. Spend most of my life under the hoods of diesels though.

I'll actually be in Spokompton Wednesday, but just to catch a plane.

My spacer is in and waiting for me at the post office. I'll pick it up in the busyness that is already tomorrow and hopefully start reassembly!

I'm not that familiar with these engines. From what I've seen, other people run them without shimming the towers or the head.... I know that you'll end up with some degree of cam retarding by doing that, just not sure how much. The shim arrived at my house right before I left town. I wont be back for another 2 1/2 weeks and then I'll get back to reassembly. I'll be installing the shim "just because". Partly, because I'm curious to see how it works :D

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...