HELP Don't know what type of 620 this is????

Butch_6sic6

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DSC_0467_zpscbbc1530.jpg

This is what I was going to say:

"The stampings on that plate don't resemble the factory stampings on my plate.  I find it interesting that the stamped numbers were not done with the same stamping tools, or neatly in a line either.  The 1's 6's 0's and 9's are evident of this.  Maybe they were assembled in S.A. and the same processes or quality control weren't used?  Or could that Number plate have been "made-up" at a later time in history?"

But then I actually read the bottom of the plate and it says it was "Manufactured for Datsun Motor Vehicle Distributors"... "Rosslyn Motor Assemblers...Suid Afrika"

I think that explains everything.  They probably just put whatever parts they had together to build the truck.  Including a VIN plate from a different model, whatever engine was on the shelf, a bed from something else... etc.

Just out of curiosity, does the wheel base match up?

If you don't have the tag on the door jam, then assuming the transmission is original and it's the Borg Warner trans, you can get the numbers off the top of the "bellhousing".   The sequence goes like this:  X XX XX XXXX    The first X is the last letter of the year of manufacture.  The 2nd and 3rd X's are the month of manufacture.  The 4th and 5th X's are Date of manufacture.  And the last four are the daily serial number.  Same goes for the steering box.  That info is straight out of the '72 620 service manual.

Thanks for all the info guys.

I bought the truck for a measly R3500 that's about 380 USD lol

In terms of getting it running.... You won't believe me when I show you the pics of the terrible condition of the lil J but it actually runs!

Needs battery and alternator not charging, I drove it with a flat battery after jumping it for about 40km and it died at a intersection and that was that.

Towed it home further in the middle of the night (scared shitless)

Parked it around midnight.

Going to start worrying on her this weekend maybe star a build thread.

That is the early 720 bad used in the US market 1980 - 1983.  The cab is also 720 in the US Market.

1984 - 1986 beds are smooth no tie downs.

'80-'82 have the lip, tie downs and a horizontal welded seam on the sides and tail lights along the bottom back

'83-'84 are the same as above but tail lamps are in the upper corner of the box.

'85-'86 corner tail lights and smooth seamless sides no lip also inner cargo lining.

I have no idea what the tail gate is off.

'80-'82 have the lip, tie downs and a horizontal welded seam on the sides and tail lights along the bottom back

'83-'84 are the same as above but tail lamps are in the upper corner of the box.

'85-'86 corner tail lights and smooth seamless sides no lip also inner cargo lining.

I have no idea what the tail gate is off.

Looks similar to (but not exactly like) this 720 tailgate...

datsun4.jpg