KA oil pump on an L20b

kgrantkey

I'll probably get chastized for lack of research on this subject but here goes....................

So maybe a 89-91 240sx could be used as a pull a part taking the oil pump. Will it become obvious to me once I cannabalize the engine (if it's still there)

One reason I ask is the local pull a part lists two 200sx that have hit the yard in the last few weeks. An 89 and a 91. My L20b ran good when I pulled it so no reason to think it wont run at least as good after a rebuild.

I went to a dizzy tears ago abd have loved that mod. I saw one of Mike's best of 5 improvements as a KA oil pump for better pressure.  I already have a higher output altenator with internal voltage regulator ready to go on, so if I can't get all 5 mods maybe the KA oil pump is within my grasp. Only limited from by my lack of knowledge.

I did use the search funtion but have faild to find a post full of the info I know many Ratsun members know like the back of their hand. So help a guy out and point me to a thread that covers this modification.

Thanks in advance. :)

PS that should read KA Oil Pump

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loosen and remove the distributor.

Grip the top of the drive spindle so it does NOT fall out when the pump is removed.

EIdizzyandhivoloilpump014Large.jpg

Loosen remove the old oil pump. have rags handy it will drip. The old gasket is reusable if you don't tear it or get a new one before and have ready.

Fill the KA pump with clean oil and install. You may have to rotate the pump to line up with the bottom of the drive spindle. Use a flat blade screw driver.

Put the distributor back on the timing will not be changed if you simply unbolted the two 10mm bolts holding the pedestal to the timing cover.

• Like 1

All D-21 Hardbody KA24E and DE pumps will also work. May be easier to find.

The local yard lists them as 240sx. My bad on that, but if All D-21 Hardbody KA24E and DE will also work it makes my chances even better, Thanks a million.

am i missing something here? i thought KA pumps were internal. or do they swap into the L20 front cover?

Only KA24DE pumps on the S13 and 14 were internal. This is why only the '89-'90 KA24E is mentioned, it and ALL KA24E and DE truck pumps are external

• Like 1

P82A0255.jpg

I'm gonna assume I use the shaft from my old pump?  Any other tips?  I did get the correct pump didnt I?

And for those wondering, my entire engine is currently on a stand so some of Mikes steps are not as critical for me.

I sure can't put that thig on my motor until some major cleaning is done.

Farmer Joe, on 31 May 2013 - 4:19 PM, said:snapback.png

people with L motors will put a KA oil pump on it for more pressure and volume.

the KA vs the L-series distributor drives are different, along with some other variants. 

it is pretty easy to do...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Remove the oil pump.

2. Remove the stock KA24E oil pump drive shaft.

3. Replace it with your L20b oil pump driveshaft

4. Replace the oil pump. Making sure not to get the Driveshaft a tooth or two off. Otherwise your didtributor will not work as it did. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it sure is an easy upgrade for more Oil pressure....and I changeg a few worde is the above instructions.  The thread I took this from was discussing useing L20b parts on a KA24E.

• 8 years later...

The following high volume oil pumps will work on all L and Z series engines.....

KA24E only, from the '89-'90 S13 240sx. The KA24DE changed to an internal crankshaft oil pump on the car

KA24E and KA24DE engines used in the D21 Hardbody.

• 4 weeks later...

Why not just shim your stock pump for more oil pressure? Cost is about 5 cents for the shims (washers). You can do this without removing the oil pump. Just remove the big cap on the pump, stick the washer in the bottom of the cap, and reassemble. This increases the pre-load on the regulator spring. Don't go crazy, it doesn't take much shim thickness to get a decent bump in oil pressure. Comp used to sell stiffer springs for this purpose, and DP Racing sells a modified cap that allows you to externally change the spring preload to adjust oil pressure. Same idea. Also, keep in mind that a worn-out oil pump won't respond very well to shimming because of excessive clearances. 

Those big pumps like the KA and L28 Turbo pump push more volume. Not necessarily better, unless you need more volume, like if you've added a turbo that needs oil for bearing cooling. Remember, it takes more HP to push more volume. Why waste HP pushing around more oil than needed? Am I missing something here? 

Look at it this way.... oil bleeds past all the bearings and back into the oil pan. The rate doesn't increase with engine speed but the oil volume from the pump does. At idle the amount of oil available is at it's lowest and it bleeds out faster than the pump can supply it and the pressure is lowest. As the engine revs up more and more oil is pushed into the engine slowly gaining on the losses and the pressure goes up till it reaches the relief valve setting of around 55 PSI.

A pump with larger rotors inside pushes more volume than the stock pump and thus hot idle pressures are higher and reaches the pressure relief valve setting much sooner and at a lower RPM. 55PSI is 55PSI no matter what pump you use. Changing the relief pressure simply means the engine must rev higher to reach it. Below that it's still moving the same amount of oil.

My old tired L20B made 17 PSI at hot idle. With no other change but a used KA oil pump it jumped to 29 PSI hot idle pressure. If I had shimmed the pressure relief it would have still made 17 PSI because the pump volume remained the same.

BTW In the '80s I had a pressure relief valve stick on my L16, possibly a piece of casting sand? Around town was ok but on the highway it split the oil filters open!!! Did this twice. Luckily each time I pulled into work parking lot and the oil light was just coming on. Just shows that the pump is capable of some incredible pressures.