The New Guy

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryans,

here is a picture of a set of 13 wheels and tires on CL out here in AZ, I ran across them and thought of your build. Id like them with centers paint black or grey...but these may not be the boys cup of tea...they are older school...and hard to find...for 225.00 not a bad price. they are 175/50/13

12749683363_42af40abcc.jpg
13 wheels by zuess4u, on Flickr

13" wide is very rare. Snap them up!

Bad News....they just sold...and no I didnt buy them...was just calling the guy to ask if he would be willing to ship to cali.....and he sold them this morning. I did tell him to contact me before CL in the future, if he ran across such wheels, 13x8+ and or 15x9+...4 lug of course...but dont hold your breath...lol

Shitty..those would have looked great on the 510.

My two cents.  For a first car, I'd set them up with something that has air bags and shoulder harnesses.  PLEASE, don't make this thread another forum for arguing the validity of safety devices.  My point is that new drivers make mistakes, or don't recognize quickly enough when someone else is making a mistake.  Bang bang, crunch crunch.

Bonne, thanks for thinking of me. They are nice rims. Was at the tire shop the other day(well, smog shop) but also sells tires. I asked the guy about 13 in rims and tire availability. For the brands he sold, they did not come in 13's. some common brands too!! I'm sure some folks still run 13s, wonder if they have trouble finding tires. I had 13 inch American racing bre rims on mine back in the day. Appreciate you thinking about us!!! Hope to post the car soon, if I ever get it back!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!! Never thought I would miss a car so much.

Taterhead,

I'll try to get some dimensions too. As you can see from my picks post media blasting I have some huge fender wells to cover. These should do just fine. And the more I look at them the more I like them. For the fronts, go to Troy ermish. This dale guy says his fronts match. But the fronts are one piece molded

Point taken on safety,

I really doubt anyone here is going say forget about that aspect......however...where does it stop?...Do first time drivers need to drive around in fully armored MRAPS in order to be safe?...or should good parenting have something to with it? The discussion is endless, and will never be settled, just as long as people keep crashing,getting hurt, or hurt others with vehicles.

Its my thought, that both sets of boys in these builds will have a better understanding just how vaunarble a person can be in such an older vessel. I say this because these guys are going hands on for most of the build, they see and feel the car..(not to sound corny)...mine have made such statements like, I hope we never hit anything, or no one hits us in this Z...for more then one reason...but the point is, there is some merit in having a first time driver involved in such a build, with said skinny cars.

Then we reflect back to parenting and teaching, explain why a roll bar might not be the best idea in everyday driving, why a 3-5-6 point harness needs not exceed a 45 degree mounting point when leaving the shoulder area, get into the subject matter of handling the characteristcs of your car, is FWD is it RWD, when do you not use brakes if your out of control, use throttle for recovering...yaddayadda.

I know where your coming from and agree, but I also know many parents, that will buy a Volvo and say my child is safe now, and leave it at that, if you know what I mean.

I like the fact my sons are aware of what this car is made out of, how easliy it can break bend or crack, they know they will have to maintain it on a weekly basis....no PS no AC no big stereo and AMPS, lights on the ground, extra doodads for IPODS or CPUs stock motor 125hp 5 speed manual...this is by design on my part.....is it the safest car ?  No way...but...Im pretty certain their focus will be of their car and surroundings while driving, rather then a false sense of security of a plug and play car with all of the modern safety equipment and gagets that other young drivers may take for granted.

My .02...not saying Im right...just my view...and yes I care about their safety...but the longer I protect them from themselves the worse off they will be as adults. If they dont make it because of my actions, then I have to live with it.

• Like 3

I just had this argument regarding safety with my parents of all people.  They started whining about getting something newer with air bags, yadda yadda yadda.  I did some digging.  Found an article online and after doing some verification and basic arithmetic I found this:

An interesting tidbit. Yes airbags are safer but I did some digging online. Since 1990, airbags have saved 27,000 lives. That's 1500/year since that data was compiled in 2008. So all the cost and effort for 1500 lives a year. I'm sure those 1500 people are happy but at that percentage I'm not really too worried about myself. And there are quite a few newer cars, Ford fusion for instance that are having bad side impact results. So there you go. You guys made it through safety-inadequate times, I'm sure I will too.

I like safety, but fuck nerf cars and the fear-based society that goes with them.  Air bags are safer, yes.  Do I need them?  No.

• Like 1

Boone,

Not trying to go gay here. But my friend, we both have twins, love our datsuns, and obviously put our family (children) first! I'll respond later when I have time, but not sure I have to. Cuz you just said everything I was thinking! I'm leaning toward the possibility of us being twins separated at birth, not the gay part. That's just meant for humor, just relax people. Leaving on a strange note, but I must go and will finish my thoughts later!

Alright, now thinking about what I just wrote as I just re-read it.  Well, hope nobody is taking that the wrong way.  

But back to safety and 1st time drivers.  You can make cars today as safe as you possibly can, but cars today are also getting faster and a bit more sporty and have buttons and devices all over inside.  On top of that most of these cars are given to these young drivers, something that is, in my opinion, expected these days.  If you give a kid a cell phone and he drops it, what happens, they get another one and don't think anything about it.  Kinda the same with cars.  Kinda.  But hopefully you get my point here.

All cars are unsafe if you drive them in an unsafe manner.  It doesn't matter if it is a Kia Forte or a volvo or a Datsun 510.  Could have 17 air bags or non at all, it doesn't matter.  If you drive like a nut, you are going to be crushed like a nut.

I also think if you know what you have, there is less of a need to show it off.  Knowing that you have something cool or special is often times enough.  I think you are less likely to take the challenge when some idiot pulls up next to you and wants to race.  You can just be cool and go about your day knowing that your car is special, you worked your ass off building it, and don't want to see it damaged.

If you had to build each and every one of your iphones, it's going to sting a bit more every time you damage one (sure, you are not going to die if you drop your cell phone, I understand that).  But it certainly weighs on you every time to pick it up or take it out of your pocket, its a real feeling and I hope my boys will have that same feeling every time they get into the car. Hit a curb, it's down for a few weeks, run it too hot, crack a block, down a month.  

These boys hear me talking every day about driving safely and respecting the car and certainly the people that are in it with you.  I am constantly pointing out the idiots on the road  and using them as examples.  I will continue to do so.  

But the bottom line is, this car is a Family project, a fun build to learn about cars, to respect them and a wonderful opportunity to bond.  These are memories we will share forever, that's what it is all about.  

I hope my boys are listening to me, I really do. And I certainly agree with Boonedock, it's up to the parents to teach them and give them the tools to be a safe driver.  This is true no matter what kind of car they get into.  It really is.

Ok, onto the build!  Enough about this.  More updates to follow. 

• Like 1

Boone,

Not trying to go gay here. But my friend, we both have twins, love our datsuns, and obviously put our family (children) first! I'll respond later when I have time, but not sure I have to. Cuz you just said everything I was thinking! I'm leaning toward the possibility of us being twins separated at birth, not the gay part. That's just meant for humor, just relax people. Leaving on a strange note, but I must go and will finish my thoughts later!

No gay intent felt here...I get it..lol..no worries.

Taterhead,

I'll try to get some dimensions too. As you can see from my picks post media blasting I have some huge fender wells to cover. These should do just fine. And the more I look at them the more I like them. For the fronts, go to Troy ermish. This dale guy says his fronts match. But the fronts are one piece molded

I have fiberglass front flared fenders and need some rear flares to match. My car has rear flares now but I don't like the way they look. I'm gonna hold off on buying some right now. I need to get it running first.
  • Like 1

only 1 car for twins? haha

lol....well we had two other Zs at one point, used one for parts to generate $$$ for the current build, then we traded the other for an assault rifle...was hard to pass up.....lol. 

Im guessing if they want a car each, one of them will have to buy the other out on this one, or sell this one and split the money...who knows.