The New Guy

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Ok, so we are 7 months into the build.  Bought the car in the dark in National City.  Obviously we have had a few issues here and there.  Had I taken a better look at the car during the day, would I have purchased it?  YES!  I wanted the 69 and nothing would have changed my mind.

We are really trying to budget and progress with a plan, so far we are not doing to bad.  I am saving all receipts in a folder and ask myself daily if I am ever going to add them all up.  I'm not sure if I will.

This car is for my boys.  When I showed them pictures of me in my 69 510 in 1982. they had to have one.  

It was really my boys that wanted to do this.  we had been talking about cars for a few years now.  I started saving money in a can in the garage and didn't let anyone in on it.  My plan was to gift wrap $2500 bucks in all kinds of bills and put it in a present under the x-mas tree.  But on December 17th we saw this car for sale and I caved.  I went to my secret place in the garage and grabbed the money, walked inside and said, lets do it!

Did I have a little buyers remorse, yes.  But that didn't last long.  My boys and I are really having a great time.  My son Kyle turns down "long board" skating, his passion, just to work on the car with me.  when you hear your son on the phone talking to his friend saying, " not today, I want to work on the car with my dad", that freakin drops me to my knees!!!

Certainly it isn't all rosy, we do bitch and moan at each other.  there are tools all over the garage at times, parts everywhere, and we spend half our time looking for shit we miss-placed and blaming each other along the way.

But I can certainly say that this is the best purchase of my life!  When we finished the suspension and finally got the 69 off the jack stands the boys took turns coasting the car out of the driveway.  We pushed it up and coasted out, pushed it up and coasted out!  Victory was ours!  Do you remember sitting in your first cars for hours on end!  I do.  I felt like a 16 year old again......  I took a turn sitting in the car, pretending I was driving.  

I would recommend a family build to all of you.

To be continued!

• Like 4

i know, I felt bad after over charging him.

over charging!  Dan, thanks again for the FREE seats!  The boys bolted the driver seat in as soon as we got home.  We cleaned up the 2 e-brakes we picked up and put together one good one.  Painted and installed!!!!

Lets keep in touch.  if you are out my way we should certainly hook up!  The fridge is usually full of beer!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

No really, updates coming soon.  waiting for the block and head to return from the day spa and the front fenders and valance to arrive.  Then I will have many more pics and updates.

just waiting.......and waiting.........but it's gonna be worth it.  Hi-tech Machine in Palm Springs, doing some great work for a great price!!!!

• 2 weeks later...