The New Guy

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and because I have had a few beers watching football!  I normally would never do this, but my kids got $300.00's in gift cards to a certain auto parts chain and come to find out they carry no parts for datsuns.  They would not even turn our front rotors even with the haynes manual in front of them.......what the hell.  So pay close attention to the list of things to do and parts needed.

Hope I don't piss anyone off.......but for a national chain to tell us we can not spend money already spent....kinda pissed me off.

to be continued!

DSCN2188_zps2e575fad.jpg

• Like 1

I have: 32/36 Weber of unknown operability, IR alternator, 200 mm flywheel (but it's a 5 bolt), 200 mm clutch pressure plate and throwout sleeve, and a starter. All this stuff is used and known operable besides the carb. If you want to trade some Pep Boys credits I would  be open to it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's coming together!

Maybe one day I'll be posting pics of my L20 being put back together.

You will my friend, you will!

I'm pretty sure we are not going to finish this project in one year!  But thats ok, we will finish.  But what a difference a year makes!!!   That car was about ready for the junkyard when we got it!  And now it's getting ready for the street!!!!

Just stay after it Shack!!  It will get done.

Next up- Saturday's job will be to fit the head, timing chain, etc.

I have been reading until my head explodes!  The timing marks on the cam sprocket, seems like I will not know for sure which mark to use until I get the chain on and look at the indicator marks.

timingsproket001_zps0958b2fe.jpg

the head has been machined so much that we needed cam spacers.  My machinist said this the is last time this head can be resurfaced.  It's an L20b.  So with my luck I will not get the V and notch to line up.  If that is the case is it better to be left (advanced) or Right (retarded).  Hopefully I have read enough to know that what I just said is correct?

I know that I need to get the #1 piston to TDC (piston level with top of block and timing mark at pulley at 0) and cam at TDC as well.  

Anything I should be looking out for?

Start with the 2 position on the cam sprocket and go from there?

Let me know if you need more pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...