The New Guy

I've got two girls and didn't even consider the thought that they might not want a car. And if they want a car, they WILL get their hands dirty.

I let my big girl help when she can the baby isn't old enough yet. I'm going to teach them the basics at least I will not raise girls who will be clueless when it comes to cars

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This summer I have my older girl who just graduated from high school working with me. I have her taking door panels apart and reassemble when work is complete. I am very proud of her. She has a good mechanical logic and very careful.

Boone, shacks, Dan, Rop, 8ter, Keeper..........

Thanks for all the kind words!  I think I have mentioned before that we have had our rough goes while building this 510.  I have grown short tempered at times and because of that they have lost interest at times.  It happens when you spend 100's of hours working next to each other, it's a typical relationship.  But for as many lows as we have had (and not too many) the highs have been out of this world high/

The day the car turned Blue!

The day we completed the engine

The day the engine went in!

THE DAY IT FIRED UP!!!!!!!  I will never forget that!  Not ever.

The day we drove it with exhaust....and enjoyed it.

The day the front windshield went in and we drove it and enjoyed it even more

The rims!!!!!!!!!

The Freeway!!!!!!

I keep telling my boys they should post on Ratsun.  They say they will once the car is done........does anyone know when a car is done?  I guess when they post, we will all know.

Dads%20Phone%20July%2012%20274_zpsyrgdxx

droppin in carpet

• Like 2

head%20gasket%20016_zpsiqil0jfo.jpg

head%20gasket%20017_zpsvf1lfmqo.jpg

After the fuel pump exploded we had a tough time getting the old girl to idle.  Actually, that was the case prior to as well.  So we have been chasing carb related problems.  Timing, spark, vacuum leaks (and found one) buttoned everything back up and it just ran like shit.   

This is the last thing we wanted to see.  Oil in the radiator.  The engine dipstick is super clean.  Not sure what the deal is so we will be taking the whole thing apart.....really no other way to go about it.

We are very bummed (me more than the boys).  They take the DMV driving test on July 31st.  I don't think the car will be running for them to drive once they get their license.  

I can't imagine its a head gasket, my fear is that the block is cracked.  Cuz this just makes no sense.

I'll keep you updated.

Oh, you Ratsuners that are at Eagle Rock today, please ask around and see if anyone has an L20B for sale.

So we need some Ratsun thoughts on this.  There is oil in the coolant, but there does not appear to be coolant in the oil.  Picture #6 about looks like a mess although it does not look like the gasket is blown.  Why so much condensation?

Next up are pics of the head.  Is it possible that there is an internal leak in the block?  Or the head.  

This engine only has 100 miles if that.  

head%20troubles%20023_zpsmoxxrp5h.jpg

head%20troubles%20012_zpsblkh8izi.jpg

So is this a gasket issue or an issue with the deteriorated head?  is it worth cleaning every up and just getting another head gasket?

If so, should I apply gasket sealant this time?

There really isn't a ton of oil in the coolant.  But there was enough moister in the cylinders that lead it to run so rough, not sure what else it could be.  The #4 spark plug did have a speck of condensation on it.  And you can tell from the pics that there is moister in #1.