The New Guy

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hobo and shacks, you guys seem to know your heads.  Your thoughts?  things I should look at?

i really don't know much, just what i read. it looks good overall imo though. looks a lot better than the only head i've taken in to a machine shop to get worked on at least. 

The head itself looks ok. The paint worries me. Do what Farmer said and pull off the rocker arms and check cam rotation resistance; you shouldn't have to muscle it really. Keep the rocker arms in order too. Since you're that far, might as well pull the cam out and check the journals. Make sure to lube it before reassembling. I know I'm repeating myself, but I'll say it again.

W58 is the later head for smog. Those liners had air blown on them to make them hotter to burn off more pollutants. Not the best head to use, but it'll work. It definitely isn't the head to use if you're wanting top end power.

U20 cam is just a stock L20 cam. It has about .413" lift, assuming this one wasn't ground. Fine for a mostly stock engine.

Thanks for all your input.  I'll remove the rockers and give the cam a spin.

We are not looking at performance right at the moment, just need to get it on the road minus the oil in the coolant.  

Yes, round exhaust ports I understand are not the greatest.  Should I be concerned at all that my header has square ports?

This w58 is a closed chamber peanut head....any thoughts on that? 

take rockers off and use the same rockers in the same spot. If new rockers then dont matter

I would do a lash wipe rattern with a ink pen on each.

Meianing intall one rocker at a time then set the lash then turn cam as the cam should rotate then take off and see the wear pattern. if center then its good. do the same to each.

to turn the cam I put the head on a block with the piston sitting in the middle so they dont hit bolt it down using the center head bolts so you can rotate the cam to prry the rockers out

when everything done set to top dead center

prime oil pump

and I prime the carb then have cam grease and pour oil over cam right before start up

we just.....ok, I just (the boys have started school and they have tons of homework) fit the chain back on.  #1 timing mark seems the best choice at this point, tried #2, #1 was better.  The notch in the sprocket is just in front of the dash mark on the cam thrust plate.  Clean up the block and took a long look at the front of it.  I think it looks good!

IMG_20150818_193053161_zpshqpvezs1.jpg

Then I cleaned some more, then a bit more.  So tomorrow night I will fit the front cover, spin that bad boy a few times and check the timing marks again.  Then fit the oil pump....may not prime it again. not sure.  gonna grease and oil the shit out of the top end.

Then we shall see.  Cross you fingers, I will report back on Friday.......it should be running again and with no oil in the coolant!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Ahhhhhhhh!!!! Head gasket around timing chain bent and folded while putting front cover back on!!!!!!!

Though I would share that wonderful news. Just ordered new gaaskets again. Try again tomorrow!!!

I'm going to wedge the chain, pull the head back off (4th time). Mount the front cover then pop the head back on!!!!!! Fun times, fun times!!

I put the head on first. then slide the front cover on gently. so you dont have to risk  the way you going to do  it with the tensioner pop out

but if head gasket folded then yes do again.  but this is EZ.

My first moto i did this and leaked like a MOFO.

to ck the meachanical timming I gently put the front cover on then turn the motor  then ck. then pull back off and do the side gaskets and seal them with very small amoutn of Black RTV or soemthing  NOT RED!!!!!! I hate red and its thin

• Like 1

The last time I reinstalled the front. Over with the head on and the oil pan it was no issue, super easy. But this time I cut out the little oil pan section like in your video, pit the cover on, a very tight fit. But then noticed the gasket completely folded inside where the Timi g chain is. We pulled if off and tried again, but it was so jacked up now way was it gonna work. Not sure why its such a tight fit this time around.

But we are very good at wedging the chain now, so I think we are gonna go that route

The last time I reinstalled the front. Over with the head on and the oil pan it was no issue, super easy. But this time I cut out the little oil pan section like in your video, pit the cover on, a very tight fit. But then noticed the gasket completely folded inside where the Timi g chain is. We pulled if off and tried again, but it was so jacked up now way was it gonna work. Not sure why its such a tight fit this time around.

But we are very good at wedging the chain now, so I think we are gonna go that route

• Like 1

Update, new head is on! We just went for a drive. I know the W58 is not the popular head, it is a closed chamber, and I am going to tell you there is a huge difference compared to the U60 I was running. It sounds and runs much better. Once it cools I will see if we still have oil in the coolant. I'm gonna say I'm 99%/sure the old head was the problem.

Stay tuned!!

• Like 3

IMG_20150821_145713830_zpsjzp9uvna.jpg

To quote the Ghost-busters,   WE CAME, WE SAW, WE KICKED IT'S ASS!!!

Although there is still some oil in the coolant,.l think it is left over.  So, boys have drum line practice all day today.  I am going to drive the car this am (probably my last opportunity do drive it), get up on the freeway, park it, go to my fantasy football draft, have 4 too many beers and enjoy the day!!!!

The boys could not stop driving it last night.  It was as if it started again for the first time.........a bit different as they could actually get behind the wheel and go!

I promised myself I wasn't gonna get all gay and say sappy shit.  But I lied.

Banzai, DatezenMike, Boonedock, Shacks, hobo, Ropodoe, Keeper, Dan and the rest of my Ratsun Family!!!  THANK YOU!!!!

Me and my boys appreciate all of your support and technical advice.  This family build extends way beyond just me and my boys.  

To our Ratsun Family, thank you!  We will finally see you at a 510 gathering soon!!!!

• Like 4