The New Guy

Did the engine run before the work, and if so, did it have the same issue? Was the base of the head milled? I'd say it could have been the head gasket failed. If thats not it, then the head or block could be bad. I've never worked with pitted heads before so I don't know if that could cause failure.

I have no history on the engine. But I did take it to a very good machine shop and it was milled. The more I inspect and the more I research the more I think we will put another head gasket on it.

Tonight I am going to hand thread the bolts on without the head, heard that they can bottom out? Before they are tight?

If that does not work I will continue to look for a replacement head.

Thanks for the input so far!

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you would think.  But we just finished hand threading the bolts into the block without the head and they do "stop".  I took some measurements and I'll say it could be an issue.  Not sure.

Having only built 1 engine....this one I don't have that experience.  I'm sure someone will add a penny or two here.

Anyway, we are putting the head back on.  Felpro gasket.......and I am going to use some gasket shit around the water ports.

I'll let you guys know what happens

update!!!   Lost the freaking chain tensioner upon re-entry!!!!  Muther f-er!!!

Chad looked it up on a search and found a post indicating he has been sucessful at getting the tension fucker back in without pulling the cover.  He was hell bent to do it and guess what, it happened, we got that little dude back in its hole.   But we could not get the cam sprocket on the chain without it popping back out.

So guess what we are doing!!!!!!   Pulling the front cover!!!!!!

We used the wood wedge as instructed, exact dimensions Haynes said to use..........next time I will make the small end .5 inches instead of 1.25 inches to ensure it can get down far enough to hold the tensioner in place. 

Anyway, the head is back on and torqued.  I used the smallest amount of RTV just around a few of the pitted water holes.

Work is getting in the way.  We will put in a full day sunday....but first, back to the parts store to order more gaskets!!!!!

I love it when we "Get" to work on the car...........I dont love it when we "HAVE TO" work on the car.   Does that make sense to anyone?

More to follow.   Im going to bed!!!!

It's all back together!!!  Thanks to lots of help from the Ratsun Family!!!

bumpers%20003_zpssam8paml.jpg

And guess what.  Bumpers from Futofab!!!!!  We just put a quick black spray can paint on them.  Good enough for now.

We found the vacuum leak.  It was the adapter plate for the Weber.  !!!!!!  back to idling normally.  We can't drive it cuz the seats are getting refinished!!!

Hard to tell if we fixed the oil in radiator issue.  I We are filling and draining.  Not sure if anyone has a do it yourself radiator flush method but would like to know.  We still need a front end alignment so I may see if the guys at the tire shop can flush the engine block.

For now we wait.  The boys start school on August 12th.  It sure would be nice if they could drive this to school!!!!

• Like 1

Those can't be my old seats. Those look too good. Great job guys. Kevin I think you'll be luck if you ever get the chance to drive her again. The boys have to be very proud of all the family unit has accomplished. Have fun guys.

• 2 weeks later...

They are your old seats!  

So on the engine update.  We flushed the coolant system with Simple Green (about a gallon added) let it run for about 10 minutes and drained then flushed about 15 gallons of clean water through it.  Now we drive and wait.  I don't have High hopes.  I have been reading many other blogs about this same issue, oil in coolant.  It seems that most blame the head.  The head on our L20b has been machined a lot, it's a U60.  

I just bit the bullet and bought a W58 peanut head on line.  It is completely re manufactured and machined.  I have never heard of the company I bought it from, but they are in my back yard (kinda) rancho Cucamonga.  California Datsun Inc.

Maybe a little on the pricey side considering I machined and rebuilt the entire L20b for 1500.  Oh, did I not mention how much I spent on the head?

Anyway, it is plug and play.  Should bolt right on as soon as I get it.We have way too many things going on in life right now.  I did not want to spend that much but I just don't have time to get a used one off to the shop.  Having a terrible time trying to find a head!!!  

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated.  The boys are driving it, but just to school and back.  I'm afraid of all that oil in the coolant.....can't be good.

Don't wish to pull the rug out from under you, but.......

Key word search the company you just purchased from. I don't have personal first hand dealing but read some stuff that didn't give me much confidence in them.

We just had a thread pop up about a "rebuilt" head from that company being bad, guy didn't check it until a year after purchase. Bunch of people chimed in aND the vendor actually popped on with what looked like a form letter. I think the guy got his money back but basic feel I got out of the whole thing was don't buy his engine parts. Brakes are ok, engine parts are kinda.... not so ok. Good luck with yours, hopefully you have better results. I still need to install the brakes I bought last year from him so I don't have first hand knowledge of his quality, just what I've read

Well, its in the mail so I just wait and see. I don't Facebook but I was able to see a few folks commenting on his, not so great. His eBay comments are not to bad. If its the head in the pic I should be alright. I'll take a good look at it. May even run it out to my machine shop. I can always show up on his door step. I've bought many things for this car on the internet, so far so good!

Oh boy!! Just read all that! Let's hope the head I purchased is an after the incident product and meets a new set of standards at Cali Datsun! I will take a very good look at it. I'm not sure if I will be able to tell if parts are mixed from other heads, but I'll do some home work. If I suspect issues I'll take it to my guy. Again, crossed fingers!!

I bet he advertised that head with the same photos he always uses. You probably won't be getting the head that was shown in the photos.

Well, we shall see.  I read that entire thread, his response as well.  Lets see if he is really trying to up his game.  If I can use some of the parts from my U60 on the W58 then I will be ok.  I hate spending that kind of money on shit.....but let me stop myself as I am not sure that is the case.

Shacks, I'm still very interested in your L20b block.

I may end up replacing the block and head?  Ummmmm, thats a whole new engine!

I'll be sure to share with you guys pics of the head as soon as I get it.  But it something is a miss, I will call the Al guy and let him correct before posting.  So we shall see.

and that's not the only such thread on here, i think there was one for the old name as well but i can't remember

It's hard for me to believe it can be that bad!  It really is.  Only time will tell.  I am as nervous as all of you to see what shows up on my door step!

I'm only 30 minutes from the guys shop.  I can always show up on his door step and see if he honors his word in the previous posts.

If he doesn't, I will eat it and post about my poor choices in parts selection.  As for now, I hope for the best!