The New Guy

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boone, I may just take you up on that. Probably the best alternative at this point. I can put that money into other stuff, like a radiator, battery, rear end, clutch, oh, rims tires fenders. Holy shit!! Hey, I still have 1 whole year. I'll measure the strut and send you a text and we will figure out the details.

I'll get the front back together then drop the rear and, then ask for more advice. You got any coilover rears shocks in that magic box of yours??

We have been undercoating as we go, got to update the build. You get that engine back in yet?

lol....well I have some coilovers, but their Honda's....not sure if you guys are going to get into cuting and fabbing suspension...but I have some we used to mock things up....you can have for free....one is a front and one is a rear. I wanted to use these struts because the cost to replace them is cheaper, you can run down to any parts store and get them...and its just different.

The collars I have should work fine for you.

11997414195_7d38ed9989_z.jpg
spindle z 3 by zuess4u, on Flickr

the collar isnt in the photo, but you kinda get the idea of what went on here....low budget...functional...I dont remeber or know if the spindles on the 510 are the same dimensions or not...but its an idea to consider....its not for everyone, but to me it was a great oppourtuntiy to exspose the boys to something not plug and play...

Muuhahahahha
11997414215_fe1c2af713_z.jpg
spindle z 1 by zuess4u, on Flickr
11997423075_e2d2e1575b_z.jpg
spindle z by zuess4u, on Flickr

The collar clamps around the split in the reducer we used, securing the strut in the socket of the spindle. You would be using the collars in a different manner but, Im sure you get the picture.

next issue, ball joint:

balljoint002_zps3a056a99.jpg

Ok, so the new ball joint shaft is larger than the old one and will not fit into the steering arm.  I'm sure this is a common problem.  What's the solution?  Can I have the steering arm drilled out, or can I get a new aftermarket steering arm.  Have not searched the web for a new arm yet.  But that is next on the list.  Suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

It's been awhile since my last update.  Lots of fun we have been having.Had the steering arm drilled out (good to have a friend that owns a machine shop, although not an automotive machine shop.....but it works just fine.  After I removed the right side lower ball joint is was apparent I was going with the 14mm with a drilled out steering arm.  Someone must have hit a curb????

moredatsunapril7001_zpsdac2b31b.jpg

so we drill

moredatsunapril7010_zps2a1f23fb.jpg

got the struts apart.  more about cleaning and inspecting.  We have decided to wait on the strut modification until the flares are on and we have our rims and tires.  That way we can make the adjustment and be done with it (I have read Datsun Mike make this statement about in about 10 other posts while researching).  I get it, we are not going to raise and lower the car every other weekend, one and done will work.  So I just showed a picture of the right side lower ball joint, well after removing the spring and looking around I notice we are missing a bearing!

moredatsunapril7012_zps0ef26682.jpg

Then.....and I guess this is why I decided to put things back together as is (without the bearing) knowing that we are not going to drive it until we decide on the strut mods, and I really just wanted to fit things back together....cuz you never really know what is going on until you clean things up.  Seems like a lot of extra work, but I'm not sure I would have realized that the right strut is about an inch and a half shorter than the left.   I wish the car could talk, I'd like to know what happened.  Hit a curb?  Replace a strut with the what you got on the floor, reuse a bent lower ball joint?  Forget to put the top bearing in???   I'll never know.  Not great angles, but I think you get the picture here.

Left Side

moredatsunapril7021_zpsf6c68736.jpg

right side

I'm assuming on is from a 280xz (right one) and one is the stock 510 (left).  Felt like an idiot that I didn't realize it it during removal and clean up.  It was my son that figured it out as we were trying to install the tension rod and it just wasn't matching up like the left side.  So Chad grabs the tape and starts measuring and sure enough..........  Do you really think someone was driving it that way???

So we pull our the rear end and I find coil spacers in the rear right spring and not on the left:

moredatsunapril7023_zps9cd943fc.jpg

had already removed one before the picture was taken.  So what was this think like driving down the road?

so we ran some brake lines (takes some skill) then finished undercoating the rear of the car.  Now going to look for some bushing for the rear and think about these springs.  Unlike the front end, I'm thinking I want to replace the springs with shorter ones.  Totally goes against my plan of waiting for the flares and rims/tires but I'm not sure how many time I want to remove and replace the rear end. Besides, I can't run two different size struts, right?  So time to find those 280xz struts. We shall see.  Whats the stock height on rear springs for a 69?  Mine measure about 12 inches and seem huge!   Gonna search out that answer.  

so we have been slowed a bit by all these little things but we keep pluggin away.  

Looks pretty............

moredatsunapril7015_zps3ae5adb5.jpg

Looking good, nice to see things come together, always keep in mind...it can all change...lol. I like how things are progressing on this build. We have the motor 100% done, engine compartment is done...need to solder on some leeds on the sensors on the tranny...and we should be stick the motor back in. Id post pics, but Flkr changed something on me, so when I post its only showing the link...gunna try right now.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/70950889@N02/13449441824/lightbox/player/" width="600" height="800" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a month since my last post, forgive me Ratsun for I have sin.  No, I haven't, just been busy.  Body work, body work, body work.  I am about 80% complete with the major body work, took off way more body filler than I have put back on.  Bought the rear flares, just waiting to get them.  Dropped the rear end, finished the undercoating.  Took the rear and apart, now inspecting, cleaning and painting.  Will head to the machine shop this weekend to press all the bushings out, have the new ones ready to go.  Went with poly bushings for the entire rear, wanted to get rubber for the rear cross member but could not find them.  Hopefully it won't be too rough a ride.  Plan on getting the rear put back together this weekend and will get it installed soon.  Removed all the rear brake components, cleaning and inspecting.  The rear end will be black cross member, gold dif, silver arms and red dif mount.  Should look great when it is all back together.  Just gonna cut the rear springs for now and get new shocks.  Putting way more money into it than originally thought (but that is typical, yes?).  Bonus and leave cash out comes in June, then off to paint and the L20b gets overhauled.  Stock 4 speed will go back in.  Will get 280ZX struts (or at least 1) and we can then start the wiring!!!  All new brake lines are done!!!  Wow, that teaches you a few lessons along the way!  Patience!!!

Ok, the next picture will be the rear end back together before it goes back on.  Didn't think anyone would really want to see pictures of the body work.    

To be continued

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks!  Seems like the car is taking forever!!!  But it's really only been 5 months.   My boys just turned 15, clock is ticking.datsunMay30008_zpsdd5cfb67.jpg

Traded my front fenders to Mr510 for two stock struts.  These things have head hurting.  The two on the left were on the car.  one 280zx and one stock 510.

Thanks to the trade I have finally decided to go with coil overs.  Tired of trying to find all the stock shit to get these back together.  Just gonna spend the money and get it over with.  Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun and so are the boys, but getting tired of chasing the struts around.

Need a favor from someone.  Bought an aftermarket front anti-sway bar.  Having a bit of trouble getting it to fit properly.  I'm going in blind as the original bar and brackets were not on the car.  Wondering if someone would be so kinda as to take a few pictures of their front bar and how it mounts to the frame and control arm.  Pretty please!!!!!