moving to area 51

im looking at taking a job in mojave. was wondering what you california desert ratsun-ers think about the area. wheres a good place to live? how much of a PITA is it to get plates on my datsuns down there? I'm a rural kinda guy and am looking for a place to rent for a while with a nice shop. probably gonna settle for an apartment somewhere till i get better established. i don't want to just blindly point at the map and rent a place and take my chances! 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so my 72 240Z is golden then. my 79 620.... i went through great efforts to strip off as much of the smog and epa crap off there

mojave will be a nice place. I'm sick of the constant cold and damp of washington

I don't know enough about smog to really help you there...

AFAIK it requires all stock smog equipment to be present and non-modified.  I know the rules are more relaxed for older vehicles ... not sure exactly what you can do though. 

It has to have every factory piece of smog equipment there. 

There are a few shops that will do the job on the hush-hush if you can find them, but it's not cheap. 

It's been pre '75 forever. It's a federal offense to remove alter or tamper with the emissions equipment however I think it's the state that's obliged to enforce these laws and many can't be bothered or are lax or indifferent. Even the 'pre 75s have to have all the equipment in place even though they are smog test exempt. Again it's the states job and they are probably even less interested. In states like California with smog testing it is possible to be pulled over with a pre '75 vehicle, fail a visual for missing smog equipment and be towed or compelled to show that the parts were put back in working order... very unlikely... possible though.

I can get you radar absorbing stealth paint Mike!!   :D  They still have radar guns up in Canada?  Most everyone down here is instant-on lidar or x band whatever.  Lot harder to beat.

• Like 1

Thats a tough one. I'd either live south towards Lancaster and palmdale so that you have easier access to LA when you need it, OR out towards Ridgecrest, it's a decet town and that gets you closer to Mammoth Mt. If you play snow sports you'll like it there

The desert is a great place,  no it's not,  i would rather be dead than move to the desert,,,  but at least it won't be as populated by as many neo-nazi survivalist freaks as Yelm-Rainer area is. 

What can i say, i like moss.

• Like 1