What truck shall I get..

tr8er

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Things I can tell you : you won't be able to put carseats in the back, as you were saying , the ad doesn't say, but if its turbo that means it has the 22 re ,and if taken care of will last a long time . The turbo is mechanical so if it goes out you can just order a replacement for a decent price .

IF : If all the acc. Work ,ie.. a/c , If clutch is strong ,if the motor doesn't smoke , if the rust is minimal,if the title is clean. If all that checked out I think a truck like that is worth 1500-2500.

But that is here in the northwest,

Yeah. The 22ret is getting praise from my mechanic as well. AC working is a huge selling point for me. I guess I'll look at it. Seats must fit in back, but doesn't need to fit that well. It's for emergency situations like when the wife breaks down with the kids and I've got to pick them up. I'll bring a booster and test.

Get a T100 extra cab.  I picked one up in July and have already put  9K on the clock. 3.4L V6 gets 20mpg on the hiway.  Tons of room in the back seat.  Can find them all day long on CL for around 5k, the 2wd are cheaper yet if you can find them.  They run forever so don't freak on 100k plus on the motor as long as the service has been met.  One of the guys I build with has 430k on his and the heads have never been off.  My DD before this is an 83 Toyota 4x4 long bed.  Best truck ever. 280k and still going strong.  I have move more lumber and tools with that one than I car to thing about.  Been up to the ski area a few hundred times and has never not once in 22 years ever left me stranded.  People freak out when they see me in the T100 because the red long bed is all they have ever seen me drive other than Roadsters.

Get a T100 extra cab.  I picked one up in July and have already put  9K on the clock. 3.4L V6 gets 20mpg on the hiway.  Tons of room in the back seat.  Can find them all day long on CL for around 5k, the 2wd are cheaper yet if you can find them.  They run forever so don't freak on 100k plus on the motor as long as the service has been met.  One of the guys I build with has 430k on his and the heads have never been off.  My DD before this is an 83 Toyota 4x4 long bed.  Best truck ever. 280k and still going strong.  I have move more lumber and tools with that one than I car to thing about.  Been up to the ski area a few hundred times and has never not once in 22 years ever left me stranded.  People freak out when they see me in the T100 because the red long bed is all they have ever seen me drive other than Roadsters.

That 3.4 is the same as the first gen tacomas- and your right they run for ever if you change the oil. 

Mine has 165k on it. hoping to get 300k. And yea you are right probably able to find a t100 with that motor for cheaper then the tacomas... the tacomas are quite expensive still

Yup.   I think I'm getting this Nissan.  Wish I found a hardbody, but I didn't.  I can always sell this one.  Hardbodies are typically cheaper anyway.  I might even consider shipping in a Diesel Toyota Truck.  I was looking into it, but time is a bitch.  

Alright.  I got it Friday.  It has body work and primer that would only take an afternoon to paint and bring to passable.  The dome light, which is currently Blue, will need to change.  And I've got to solve a high load skipping cylinder.  Could be as simple as a shot spark plug.  It looks like they may have never even been changed.  Or a month old.  Hard to tell when you have red dirt roads.  

This truck is already too big for me.  I hate driving/parking monster vehicles.  If it were a truck for me, it would have been a 620.  Some day I will have one.  I have also always had a thing for Ford Couriers.  

Oh well, I've got a Frontier.  And after changing out the plugs it runs great.  I'll still be dropping some $ into it right away to get it up to standards.  But it will not take much thank god.  This 5% limo tint is a tad too dark.  

Yup.  And believe me, thats small in comparison to Big Island Trucks.  It's a big part of culture here to lift trucks like crazy.  I'm far more into compound interest.  I have no problem with big trucks when they are used as trucks.  But I poke fun at folks who commute in them (until I become one...).  I want that compromise between function and fuel economy/ease of drive.  And truth be told, I think I have a good contender.  I do wish I had another foot in the back though.  Roof racks are happening.  

I tried to buy a local 521.  Sitting in storage for the last 10+ years.  Wouldn't sell.  I'll re-enter negotiations when I have more $ to offer, as well as time to invest, and covered garage space.  So many goodies, but later...  

Some guys want too much for them, but every now and then I"ll see ones come up for around 2g or 3g. I think they are cheaper to own and maintain than a new truck, mine is getting around 25 mpg now with a single intake carb, but ya you need a little extra $ for all the little things that go into buying an old car as you probably already know.

I drove my dads Nissan pathfinder for a while an hated it, 18 mpg, not alot of power and too much electrical crap, he put a bunch of money into after 120,000 miles and it still had problems, comfy tho.

I know what you mean about dudes in big trucks, I run a stone carving biz and some of these guys pull up too jobsites in raised F250 an pull out a tiny nail gun or some foam crown molding, In Italy they move blocks of marble in vespa 3 wheelers,

HaHa, get the 620 bro