How would you clean an alternator?

Eagle_Adam

Hmmmmm, I'm wanting to take it apart now.

Not for powder-coating but paint, for no reason other than I can :)

Adam, Maybe you should go spend two bucks and go to the pick-n-pull and take one apart in the yard. Just scatter it into pieces and leave it there. Let's you see what is inside before taking yours apart. Might just take the fear out of it for you.

• Like 1
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam, Maybe you should go spend two bucks and go to the pick-n-pull and take one apart in the yard. Just scatter it into pieces and leave it there. Let's you see what is inside before taking yours apart. Might just take the fear out of it for you.

That's been brought up! And I like it but I work the next coupla days so maybe this weekend

Lol. Ur probably right but I'm the king of not leaving well enough alone.....

It's ok. I'm closer to the other end of the spectrum. Used to be way worse. Took me a long time to learn to do things right or you would find yourself out with friends and the 8 track would quit. Using a Bic lighter under the dash... twisting wires together in the dark. A little attention to detail would have cured this.

There are ways to paint aluminium.  The lower unit of almost every outboard engine for a boat is made of aluminium, and they are painted.

I believe they would acid etch or sand blast the surface, on top of a special primer. It's just more difficult than most other metals. Anodizing is another method of covering/coloring.

What about taking it to an alternator rebuilding shop, and explaining to them what your situation is? You could have them take it apart, and give you the case for cleaning/powder/whatever, then you could bring the pieces back and they would reassemble. Maybe cost you $10 for 5min of their time?

• Like 1

What about taking it to an alternator rebuilding shop, and explaining to them what your situation is? You could have them take it apart, and give you the case for cleaning/powder/whatever, then you could bring the pieces back and they would reassemble. Maybe cost you $10 for 5min of their time?

not a bad idea either, i just like to do things myself and i dont trust shops.....

none the less i like it 

There is a place where one could "practice" taking alternators apart, and see if you can get it back together in a outdoor learning environment  for a small fee of $2.00,,,,  they even provide hand stamps in case you need to leave and get additional tools or what-have-you..

There is a place where one could "practice" taking alternators apart, and see if you can get it back together in a outdoor learning environment  for a small fee of $2.00,,,,  they even provide hand stamps in case you need to leave and get additional tools or what-have-you..

• 3 weeks later...

Just don't take it apart to clean it!  You are bound to loose some small parts and then have to go buy a new alternator.  Also, if you do take it apart and don't loose small parts, resist the temptation to "clean up" that grungy looking "chocolate color" commutator!  They are supposed to look that way if they are operating properly.  What you see is an intermetalic compound of carbon and copper which provides the ideal brush to commutator interface.  Buff it clean and it will take time before your alternator is really operating at full efficiency.