DP Disc brake bracket build for kingpin trucks - mklotz70

mklotz70

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

There may be a vid or two that should be before these, but I really wanted to get these up for feedback.  I've gotten some great feedback on youtube, so I'll be changing them up just a bit.....more work! :(

Mike looks great.  Beveling the pin part instead of the bracket hole might work better. Also heating heavy metal before welding helps with penetration.

I do not believe you will have any problems with the welds as these were done.

Thanks Charlie. 

I did the test weld pretty fast and loose.  The welds on the were done at a much slower rate.  I'll try to get some better vid of it when I do some more.  I need to come up with a way to put my camera behind a welding helmet.

In the next couple of days, I'll start doing a bit of rework on the standoffs to prep them for the perimeter welds.  I'll also chamfer the  brackets and tabs.  Hmmm.....I should probably get a couple of new belts for the grinder!! :)

lol.

I have 3 auto-darkening helmets. I may just see if I can take the cartridge out of one and put in front of the camera.  I might use the point and shoot, but it limits the clip to 10 min....which should be plenty.

That thing was awesome!!!!  Thanks! :)    My brain hurts enough just trying to learn what I'm doing on what I've got.......I'd pass out with something like that!! :)

You wouldn't pass out, but we likely would have to come to your house to check up on you, to make sure you were still alive. :)

Maybe one of the other guys knows better, but I'm sure that machine is over $750k.  I wouldn't be too surprised to hear it's a good bit more than that............

..........I just did a bit of digging.  An auction site lists replacement cost at 1.1 million.

I don't know much so bare with me,,, won't moving hub out with spacer put more of a load on the bearings  then the first type spacer you made/make?

OH GEEEZE !! i must have clicked out of the 411 thread and posted here somehow,,,,,,,,,, well we all know how,, cuz imma dumbass really. 

Pushing the rotor and wheel out 1/8" with the spacer between the rotor and hub would put a bit more load on the outer bearing and the spindle. 

Pushing the entire hub/rotor/wheel out 1/8"  with the bearing spacer would put a bit more on the spindle, but the bearings should see the same load.  Either way, I think it would be fairly negligible.  People put 1/2" wheel spacers on with longer studs without much issue.  The outer bearings on the 411 and roadster are bigger the same as the truck outer bearing.

I'll need to borrow a hub before I can check things out much further.