DP Disc brake bracket build for kingpin trucks - mklotz70

mklotz70

Geez....been a really long time since I started a new thread on ratsun.  I'm probably one of the reasons the classifieds changed.....my ad was basically a build thread. Anyway.....

I had told a few people that when I started on the next batch, I'll start posting the progress.  I did the CAD work some time ago, now I'm finally getting around to physically building the prototype bracket.  Basically, everything is getting posted to youtube and I'll just put the new link here as they go up in case anyone wants to follow along.  This is pretty much a new bracket.  The "DP" is for dual piston or dual purpose.  I won't know for sure until I figure out if it will even work or not. 

This is kind of a "look over my shoulder" view as I work through what works and what doesn't.  It's not the "best" way, the "only" way.....it's simply "my" way since that's all I got. :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I used to think it would be cool to have a tv show.....like Gears.....but I'm not sure I want to work that hard! lol   .....but it would be nice to not have a full time job getting in the way of my work :)

You're more than welcome.  I'm working on getting the shop back in shape this week, then I'll be back on the brakes to get them done asap.  I have to finish figuring out how to make the adapters in house on the cnc lathe, figure out the plug welding, reclock the bracket, figure out the new hardware, yada, yada, yada...........geez.. 

• Like 1

I used the old one on the bottom just to show why I needed to have the caliper brackets centered on the rotor.  At first, I didn't think it would matter, but you can see that if the old pad were worn down closer to the metal, it could slip out of the bracket and jam.  Certainly wouldn't want that!!!!

Hopefully, I'll get some time on this in the next couple of days. :)

• 2 weeks later...

A little less so after today.  I worked on it some more this morning....vid in a couple of days.......and it's looking like the dual piston just won't work with the smaller rotors.  I put a fulcrum pin in to check clearance and there's just not any clearance.  Looks like I'll be using just the single piston caliper as I did before, but I still have a couple of things to work out with the changes to it.  Maybe I can get the vid edited tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about that!  I keep forgetting to come here and post the vid links.  I've been sick more than not for the last couple of months, so progress on everything has been minimal. 

I'll put the links up to the last two vids on this bracket.  Basically, the Dual Purpose is dead for now.  I've been back and forth about this working.  The point of the Dual Purpose was to run either a single piston or dual piston on the same bracket and rotor and stay behind stock 14" rims.  Although, I've pretty much figured out that I can do it, I've decided that I will not put the dual piston caliper on this rotor.  Part 7 explains why.  I've got some thoughts on a dual piston setup, but I've got a lot of guys waiting on brakes that will fit behind the stock rims, so I need to concentrate on getting that setup dialed in and finished. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Since I don't have another brake thread going at the moment, I'll drop this info here. 

The rework on the original brake kit is complete enough that I've ordered the laser cut brackets.  I'm ordering enough for 20 kits this time since I have about 8-10 guys waiting already.  I've got vid of the build, but I haven't gotten caught up on vid editing yet.  I'll have to see what I have and possibly just start another thread.

The design is pretty close to the previous, but I think the tweaks were worth the time and effort.  Here's a couple of CAD pics of what's getting made.

trkbrkt2.jpg

trkbrkt1.jpg

• Like 1