Paypal "government" changes SSN, Tax ID, proof

Lee R

Anybody have experience in the past few months with updating certain paypal information that could include SSN, copies of ID, current address/billing statement, tax ID etc....????  I got hit with this lately and after research, it is legit, not a scam, and is fronted by good ol' Uncle Sam. 

I'm being asked to provide copies of my SSN or tax ID, billing address, and a picture ID.  These must be emailed or faxed to Paypal if I want to add any more money from my OWN bank account into Paypal.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ive been ignoring that for MONTHS......

they wont get it from me 

and they are full of shit, ive spend almost $1500 outta my paypal in the lest 2 months for my KA swap, and its all been transfered from my bank account to who ever i paid 

• Like 2

Yeah thats really weird, Ive never seen that page before. I for sure as hell am not giving them my SSN. 

Oh well, theyve never asked for any of that so I guess Ill worry about that when it comes up. Im assuming Im in the clear since your date says June and I havent gotten anything yet. 

The fuck? I logged into PayPal, never got that message. Looked in my options after updating some account info for a card that's expired and my fucking SSN is already entered into the site! I never gave them that shit and I never would. 

How in the fuck?? 

Some of you guys that aren't seeing this message ought to look in your "profile" under 'My Personal Information" and check under the section for "Tax ID Number."

I honestly dont know what about this upsets people. Its an online medium for banking and wire transfers, the banks all have this info anyway. My only concern is the security of the information. I hope that because the government is requiring said information from them to curb money laundering, fraud etc... that they are also requiring paypal to adhere to the same security guidelines as banks and the like. 

• Like 1

You guys are lucky, i wasnt given the option to ignore it, they notified me that i wouldnt be able to transfer anythjng into my account until i provide the info. So instead ive been buying the prepaid paypal cards that they sell at 7/11. They cost money but to me its better than handing out my ssn

looks like IRS is trying to get all the product sellers to start paying taxes on the items they sell.  so they will have to add sales tax of some sort onto the bill.  if they want the buyer to pay tax they need to get the seller to add it. 

no reason to give out your personal info.

I barely want to use PayPal as it is. Their fees are just about high enough for me to sign off.

The Feds probably want extra tax money and maybe they are tracking drug money laundering too.

I haven't seen these emails but I don't do a lot of $volume on PP.

If they ask me or start requiring I'll happily close my account