Barnfind 521 in California!

EightyOne521

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks mrbig...

Yeah... suppose I have been a bit confusing in my posts above... seeing as I'm a huge 4x4 fan, I would love to find a 521 4x4! I didn't think too many of them existed, but seems there are a few...

Got any leads?  Willing to travel anywhere in CA, possibly west coast (AZ, OR, NV)  The red one I posted a picture of is perfect... then again, a sweet stocker would make me happy too

Welcome to Ratsun!

If you're looking for "barnfind" you not going to find it in the classified here.  As a matter of fact the classified here is so messed up - folks posting parts for sale in the vehicles section, it's littered with hard to read posts without pictures, etc, etc ... it was a cool part of the board a while ago, but things have changed for the worse.

You're better off using Craigslist to buy and sell Datsun and/or Datsun parts.

Funny, I had to move way more ads to there correct forum before the new classifieds started and the ads then were just as bad, if not worse as far as descriptions and pictures. So basically, they are the same as they were then, but just require less maintenance on my part. :)

BTW, I have bought and sold through the new classifieds without any issues. I think some of you are just resistant to change (as am I).

EightyOne521, welcome aboard.

Hopefully, your search goes well. The best way to find a barn find is to keep an eye out on the back roads. Anything listed for sale in a forum or craigslist will probably go for a premium as the car/truck has been researched before the ad was ever placed. Cheapest/best scores I have made were never on the internet.

• Like 2

It's always best to spend as much as you can for the most complete example of what you want. Who in their right mind looks for the cheapest worst example money pit and then buys it? Spending an extra thousand now saves 2 or 3 times that (and labor) later. There is much less chance of giving up on your good investment and you are on the road that much sooner.

• Like 2

Well it's all relative. If you can only afford an $800 521 non runner but there's a $1,200 one in better condition and licensed for the road and driven daily, borrow the difference. Or consider it at least. The non runner can't be driven so how will you know if the brakes work, the steering works, the transmission works, does the motor overheat?, restart?, make noises? does the clutch work? rear end make noise? Got a battery, does it charge or have electrical problems... the list is endless. Only $400 difference.

I'm willing to hold out for a 521 that really catches my eye... a 4x4 conversion in particular... or, any RED one... the dragon GREEN is nice, and the darker sky BLUE looks great to me!  Definitely would prefer decent original paint across the entire truck... rare for a 40+ year old import pickup, but they are out there... but if the paint has seen better days, or its been repainted but still has most of its originality, then cool...

Half the fun is the chase!

• Like 2

well I guess it's no surprise there's an opinion on the subject (really surprised Kevin Bacon hasn't chimed in with his wooden nickel's worth of advice), spend as much as you can seems like more of a 510Realm thing than a Ratsun thing.

I don't disagree that one should buy the car one really wants, but if that was the case I wouldn't even drive a Datsun. Ratsun's "spirit", as I see it, is more of a do-it-yourself-as-best-as-possible-for-as-little-as-possible. In other words Ratsun is not a shopping bazaar for the Jay Leno's of the world but rather a place for the regular broke-ass to find, learn to love, love, maintain, and learn to maintain a Datsun.

none of this is meant as an indictment of 81's choice, it seems like a wise one. I was merely jibing that it seemed he was more than two standard deviations  from the mean for the average Ratsunner.

ULTIMATELY, Ratsun "is" whatever the guy who pays the bills for the site and has his name on the deed wants it to be. If he wants to make his crappy classifieds a pay-site that is his prerogative. I just don't expect it to do much for my concept of the average ratsunner.

I will still keep an eye out for 81's dream truck.

ULTIMATELY, Ratsun "is" whatever the guy who pays the bills for the site and has his name on the deed wants it to be. If he wants to make his crappy classifieds a pay-site that is his prerogative. I just don't expect it to do much for my concept of the average ratsunner.

laotsu, I think lou hacked your account....

• Like 1

laotsu, I think lou brainwashed you...

fixed...

but no he didn't. I do troll but I don't think I have been half as petty and childish as Lou has been.

I love Ratsun and do feel underserved by the new classifieds, however I accept that this is not a service forum and that I have no right to make claims on it.

still searching for 81's 4X4