Barnfind 521 in California!

EightyOne521

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really want to get into it much on this thread, because we're looking for a nice 521 bard find here, but ...

Ratsun is just a community of like-minded Datto-heads.

For the record, my truck got a new motor but it didn't cost me a dollar (not even a dime).  I bought an abandoned project from another Ratsun member, took the motor from that truck and sold enough parts to get my money back.  To recover my seat I spent something like $19 at a yardage store, who knew you could pick up girls there?  I spent something like 30+ hours sewing my poor old seat cover back into something I could use, but I didn't pay someone to do the sewing.  The electrical has been gone through from one end to the other, mostly replacing bulbs and cleaning corroded connection, which took a good afternoon but it didn't cost me much. 

Just because I'm willing to buy something that was ready for the wrecking yard, doesn't mean I'm spending a lot of money to get it to where I want it.  I found my truck within 50 miles of my house, it was a driver, it had current California tags and I got it for $1,000 ... which might be too much in some markets, but where I'm at, a pre-smog vehicle is worth more.  You can say what I'm doing isn't very Ratsun if you want, that doesn't bother me a bit.  I like my truck, that's all the matters to me.

now THAT is the spirit of Ratsun

still hunting for the 4X4

• Like 1

You guys are awesome!  Thanks for keeping an eye out for that elusive Ratsun 521 4WD!

Check this out:

Garysold69_zps3a74a0fd.jpg

I found a picture of this truck posted for sale on a classifieds site just 6 months ago.... even had a phone number, with an area code in the sf bay area!  I contacted the seller... truck was sold, and the guy says he does not have any info on the new owner.... Sh!t... so close! I think I'm going to ask the guy again... I figure alot of times people buy stuff, then it becomes a project, then they change their mind, or whatever.... so I have no problem pursuing a truck recently purchased or owned by someone else... you never know...

• Like 2

Yep ... you have found the one I was talking about in my post. 

I think I know what you're looking for, something like that only with original paint.

Well, this one was in the bay area, but was powered by a Buick V6.... probably the same one...  Love it!!

I know I'm in the right place.... you guys know your Datsuns, especially on the west coast and in CA, so I'm sure something will turn up eventually!

Thanks K_trip!

You guys are awesome!  Thanks for keeping an eye out for that elusive Ratsun 521 4WD!

Check this out:

Garysold69_zps3a74a0fd.jpg

I found a picture of this truck posted for sale on a classifieds site just 6 months ago.... even had a phone number, with an area code in the sf bay area!  I contacted the seller... truck was sold, and the guy says he does not have any info on the new owner.... Sh!t... so close! I think I'm going to ask the guy again... I figure alot of times people buy stuff, then it becomes a project, then they change their mind, or whatever.... so I have no problem pursuing a truck recently purchased or owned by someone else... you never know...

I hope you find your truck,especially if it ends up being like the one in this pic! Mine is the same color,original paint.patina whatever you call it. I'm lowering mine approx 3" ,but after seing your post, I think that looks great also! Good luck! & keep posting pics & updates.

That truck is not worth the money,if had no body damage yes,but not with how it looks now.

And the mileage claim isn't believable.  The amount of grime under the hood and on the transmission are NOT indicative of a 15k mile vehicle.  And, you wouldn't have installed astro turf unless the old floor mat was worn out, and the old mat wouldn't be worn out on a 15k mile truck.  It's certainly clean... as clean as mine, with better sheetmetal.  Oh, and mine wasn't $10k... but I'd be glad to sell it for that ;)

• Like 1