Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As someone who has built a barn full of these...from all out (like that one) to pretty tame (like what I have now) I can give you some personal views on them. A car like that is unneeded 99.9% of the time, unless a guy is just going for the badass look of it that is. A well built beam/ IRS car will do things that are shocking and also handle like a go cart. That and save you about 40K. 

Every year there is this course race in the dunes, all the big dollar rail builders show up to compete. Like 150k cars with ungodly amounts of power and travel, it's quite a sight. But every FUCKING year, the same dude in a mid engine, VW powered, low dollar beam car sets the best time. Would he hold his own in an all out desert race against those cars? Shit no, but for most of us, we well never use that. If this is something you are really into, I would be happy to help, I have a lot of years doing it.

With this current one, I have went for a period correct thing (1970).

steve3_zpsc60da367.jpg

Well...not ALL 1970, it needs a little 'zip' to be fun to me.

steve4_zps3755808b.jpg

But, even as super low tech (and cheap) as this is, I can go over whoops at 60mph and not even get rattled around much. It's just really all about proper set up. It's really a fucking blast.

• Like 5

Yes, we move the entire beam forward usually, this lets us run long/wider trailing arms and get gobs of travel and yes, I lived in AZ for a while, lots of high dollar stuff there... drove my rail on the street a lot as well as the desert. Even raced the San Felipe 250 twice in a class 5.

It's not too awful if you do the fab work yourself, the shocks will take a chunk out of you. Both King and Fox will exchange spring sets until you find the right ones and will help you out with the valving. But it's not uncommon to be in shocks and springs for 5k. I've had some pretty serious buyers remorse on this stuff over the years.

I agree, but most were given up on or were draw through, didn't have a wide band tuner, alcohol injection, BOV and fancy shit like that, but yeah, it's not too far out there. Not like I put an STI engine in it or something.................................................................

yet.