Need a new dash. Suggestions?

barricade88

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are commercially available hard and soft vinyl dash repair kits.  Might be a last resort?  They come with "graining paper" and a heat tool to match whatever graining you might have on your dash.  Good luck, hope you do find at least a better dash.

take it off or find another one and start stripping, I am gonna give you as many details as I can recall and I am gonna have to do it again so there might be more to come

1:First once the dash is removed you want to strip as much (preferably all_ of the old vinyl off of it, some foam is gonna come with it too. once you got all that removed your ready to proceed to step two

2: step two is materials prep, you are gonna need two cans of Great Stuff crack and gap foam. and stretchy vinyl or other material to cover the new dash. you will also wand some coarse and medium sandpaper and a long cheap sawzall blade, not a sawzall, just the blade, a heat gun,  large file clips, and a can of DAP Weldwood cement, with some brushes, flux brushes are nice for small areas.

3:start by filling all the cracks and building the dash back up by applying the foam all over the old dash pad foam. careful, you DO NOT WANT TO GET THIS CRAP ON YOU. once your done with the first application you will let it dry for about 8 hours depending on how humid it is.

4:then cut it down with the sawzall blade and start sanding it into the shape of the dash. you will have to repeat step 3 and 4 multiple times until you have the desired profile. then make it nice and smooth.

5: once you have the dash foam done and in the shape of the original dash. you want to find a flat place to apply the vinyl with DAP weldwood cement. apply it so theres a substantial ammount of overhand in all directions.

6: this is the trickiest part, usually your gonna have to heat the vinyl just to where its really hot but not damaging it, I reccommmend trying this on a few smaller pieces first. slowly head and stretch the vinyl around the foam.

another option would be to skip step 6 and use dash filler and then use spray flocking on top of that, this would look very good as well.

7: once the vinyl is stretched in the correct shape, apply the glue and then clamp down edges with file clips, and let dry for about 1-2 weeks.

There are commercially available hard and soft vinyl dash repair kits.  Might be a last resort?  They come with "graining paper" and a heat tool to match whatever graining you might have on your dash.  Good luck, hope you do find at least a better dash.

I cant remember if it was Dakotachore or Devilsbullet on here that bought a hard plastic cover on Ebay for his 510 but it looked really good,, in the pictures,,  maybe they make ones for 620s also.

don`t hurt nothing to PM them i think everybody likes to get mail..

• Like 1

I cant remember if it was Dakotachore or Devilsbullet on here that bought a hard plastic cover on Ebay for his 510 but it looked really good,, in the pictures,,  maybe they make ones for 620s also.

don`t hurt nothing to PM them i think everybody likes to get mail..

I have one in my 510 and love it (as much as you can love a non-OEM dash). Cant attest to 620 dash caps though. 

I have never seen a good looking dash cap on any car, especially a 240z

what is it with nissan designing dashboards that crack anyway? I dont think I have been in many old nissans that didnt either have a total restored dash or were totally screwed up.

but I have rode in a lot of other brands of cars that dont have dashes that are cracked 20-30 years later, what gives?