Need a new dash. Suggestions?

barricade88

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too funny! But ain't it cool? Hopefully your limited use of the word "restore" doesn't cause you or others grief :blush:

Nope. Never had anyone confused on my use of the word. Here's my point:

(Not to pick on your method of fixing your dash, because in use it works perfect for your needs)

If you read an ad online for a Datsun and one of the details was "restored dash and door panels." What would you expect when you showed up to make a purchase? You'd expect factory condition pieces. I would be extremely upset if I showed up and the dash was covered in Shoe Goo and boot polish. In addition to that I'd be upset if it was recovered in vinyl or leather or really anything that wasn't the stock looking pad.

I'm not saying any of the methods are wrong, just not restored.

But all this is off point for OP. There are plenty of good options now mentioned for him to fix his dash pad.

Good luck!

If anyone is up in New England I have a dash that is in VERY good shape, practically new (one small crack that is hardly noticable) I got it from a parts truck but, lets be honest.... I havent used it in over a year, and I dont see my to do list getting any smaller for me to be able to use it....

If someone made me a good offer and was close enough to come get it I would let it go. Shipping is possible but I would think the cost would not be justifiable, unless you have DEEP pockets and can justify spending that much to pack it up and ship it.

I guess the sun up here in NH is nicer to the vinyl.

I ended up putting in a full dashcap. New Mexico sun is brutal on dashes. Mine was coming off in chunks. I pulled off what was left and put rubber door stripping on the leading edge of the dash (closest to the windshield) One side has adhesive. I glued the dashcap to that and what was left of the front of the dash. Worked pretty well. Still have to re glue a portion near the glovebox.

When I got the cap it was cracked near the glove box. Did a little electric plastic welding and it fixed up ok.