So I bought myself a 620

Keno

Hey guys, I'm new here and just got myself a new pickup. It's pretty nice looking but a lot of jimmy rigged engine parts... Haha the fuel pump is out of a Malibu and doesn't quite fit properly. I had to put some hose clamps on before I drove it home and tie it down with tie wire. The battery is brand new but dead, and it probably needs a new alternator. I drove it home and the brakes sucked. I also fucked the clutch up (shifting normally, I've shifted plenty) and I thought the wire broke, I looked for the wire only to realize its hydraulic and have no idea where to start. All in all I would say I've never been happier to have such a horrific car buying experience.

I'm wondering if anyone has any input on the clutch, I'm really hoping I didn't blow it and that its an easy fix... And also, I eventually would like to stuff an SR or CA or something cool, hell maybe even just a KA... Wondering if anyone can point me in a direction or help me out with info on an easyish swap that will make for run times! My search was futile for the most part, found some cool builds but not much info.

Thanks!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, seriously. I thought my android was garbage...

Anyways here is a pic... Photobucket is something else I haven't used in years but here's the Datsun:

image_zpsc76dac2a.jpg

While i was in photobucket: Here's my old Silvia... Pushing snow of course

P3030213.jpg

• Like 1

Lift hood look in far back driver's side corner. There are two light color plastic caps on the brake reservoirs and one to the right of that for the clutch reservoir. All three should have lots of brake fluid in them. Filling them may improve the clutch/brake action but you may also need to bleed these hydraulic systems. Nice 620 BTW my favorite truck. Is it a '73??? Hard to make out the fender emblem but sort of looks like one.

Thanks for moving it... I'm (obviously) new to the world of datsuns haha, the guy gave me the impression that it was a 521, with an engine from a 620... I know it did have a swap, when I get a chance ill fill you guys in more. As for the clutch all the fluids are good, going to try bleeding them today. It's a 72" btw.

lol clutch wire? doesnt your s13 also have a hydraulic clutch system as well?

my s14 and z32 do (and 620 and old 280z.)

anyways, all those problems are super small and easy even if a dude had zero mechanic

inclination.

battery: ok so you think it might be your alt, could be. mine went bad too.

you can get your alt tested for free and oreilly/autozone/similar. also, there could be

a drain/draw on your system somewhere. inspect visible wires, especially where it mightve

been hacked into over the last 40something years (aftermarket stereo, gauges, etc.)

alternators can be had cheap. one thing to look into is an alternator upgrade. research

that, its also inexpensive.

fuel pump. mechanical fuel pumps are also quite inexpensive, online or at those parts stores.

shop around. one life saver that every ratsuner gets to know is rockauto.com

their prices are amazing and they offer multiple brands. let us see photos of your jerry rigged

fuel pump system, though :)

lastly, hydraulic clutch system. first, do what mike said. youll see him throughout this forum and there

is a reason he is the 'king rat.'

FIRST, check for color of the fluid. it is supposed to be clear. brown or black

color means contaminants in the system (dirt.) it could mean there is a leak somewhere or that the

fluid is very old. next check for leaks.

check at the clutch master cylinder, connections and then follow the line

down to the slave cylinder. no leaks allowed. if there are no leaks, the next thing to do is to flush

the system of the old fluid and then bleed the system as you would bleed your breaks. this will

eliminate contaminants (dirt, water) and air.

if that doesnt fix it then the usual next culprit is the slave cylinder. these get more wear than the master

cylinder because they are under the car, exposed to the elements, and the lowest part of the system,

so they can accumulate water/moisture. those are cheap on rock auto.

after you replace that and that doesnt fix it, then it would be your master cylinder, another cheap thing.

i think rock auto has exedy slaves/masters for the 620. you mightve heard of them since you have an s13.

theyre a japanese company known for their clutches so i assume their other parts are good as well.

but first i should ask, what exactly is wrong with your clutch? these problems i listed above would be if it

isnt going into gear

Well it slips into gear, there is just no response from the clutch at all. In theory i could drive it and crank it over if i need to stop hahah.... The only pressure is from the spring haha, after a bit more of a detailed look the slave cyl is most likely the issue from what I can tell. When I push the clutch in the slave doesn't move at all, and the seal was blown out too. I just ordered one, and also a brake master cyl. I need to get an inline fuel pump too... It looks like there is another mechanical fuel pump up by the rad fan too, but I'm assuming it is also no good. Other than that it runs great though so I'm hoping after fixing these issues I will have a solid runner.

The fluids are all full but definitely not the canola oil-ish colour that hydraulic fluid is supposed to be. I'm going to flush the whole system when I get my parts in.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone.

By the way I only had that s13 for 2 months and never even looked at the clutch... Basically just fixed what was wrong with it and flipped it. I hate RHD vehicles :P

90% of datsuns I've seen for sale have been, and It's really not bad. The FP is the worst of it. It hasnt been drivin since the original fp bit it, and the seller only conjured up this abortion to drive it to auction, then i happened to call that day.

Here's shot of the engine

image_zpsd112370c.jpg

relocated battery?

mechanical gauges are preferable. carbs are low pressure, like 3-5 psi rating, with approximately 4.5 being ideal 

for webers, not sure about the stock carbs. 

if you do run a electric fuel pump, you want to get a low pressure, high volume (gpm or h, cant remember the rating...)

or you can always get a fuel pressure regulator but that is not ideal. ideally you want a pump giving you the correct

pressure. 

also, one other thing that is usually wrong with these old cars is rust in the fuel tank.

So my goal is to fix one thing a day on this truck until everything is fixed, my slave cylinder never came in today, so I made a battery tie down.

First I just took some 1/8x2" flat bar and punched a hole in it, and welded a nut on:

image_zps15e25dd8.jpg

Then I marked out where it needed to be bent, and bent it (with my 510 punch of course)

image_zpse0c653eb.jpg

Then glued some neoprene to it to ensure a snug fit, a bit of paint, and voila.

image_zpsa5fcea8c.jpg

image_zps42576545.jpg

i really like that tie down! ESPECIALLY the color... for some reason...

looks like you got the tools and the skills, my man.

do you like coffee? you ever go to Blenz? i loooove that place. 

The colour is hitachi taxi cab yellow...(even though its more orange than yellow) One of only a couple options I have at work. If I get balls deep into this resto I'm going to do he engine bay that colour, I really like it too. The tie down was super easy to make with the proper tools,. But I'm going to have to brace the little slot that its bolted into behind the battery somehow, it's a little wobbly for my liking, better than a bungee hahah.

And yes, coffee is probably the only reason I'm standing right now haha, but I don't go to blenz, my gf runs a coffee shop so I got the hookups ;)