4wd 1973 620 pickup

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look,  if you run a 12 bolt or a Dana 60 you are going to need the 38" tires just to maintain the ground clearance at the third member that you will have with a 33" tire and a 44... You will also need 8 lug 16" wheels. 8 lug because that's what a 12 bolt is, and 16" wheels to clear the brakes.

Get it?

Just plug the 58" rear in and worry about the track width when you can afford the disk brake kit. Or run spacers in the rear. Or run a heavier offset wheel in the rear......

You dont HAVE to have the same track width front and rear.

It is helpful though. The best way to pick lengths for axles is to have a rear that is slightly narrower than the front. This gives a tighter turning radius and the steering components don't have to work as hard to bring the rear through it's scrub. 

It is helpful though. The best way to pick lengths for axles is to have a rear that is slightly narrower than the front. This gives a tighter turning radius and the steering components don't have to work as hard to bring the rear through it's scrub. 

ok that makes sense

so my front springs are really stiff and i have about 3 inches of clearance between the front diff and the oil pan...i think i will pull some packs out of the springs and do a spring over to gain clearance but still keep it as low as possible. 

I knew there was an advantage having a more narrow rear but I for the life of me could not remember what it was :lol:

so my front springs are really stiff and i have about 3 inches of clearance between the front diff and the oil pan...i think i will pull some packs out of the springs and do a spring over to gain clearance but still keep it as low as possible. 

You might also try different springs all together. Do you current springs have arch? You might look for some flatter springs if the are and you want to spring over. You can also run longer springs as they tend to flex more. Longer springs would move your axle forward so that is something else to consider.

I knew there was an advantage having a more narrow rear but I for the life of me could not remember what it was :lol:

turning radius is often overlooked, but around here the trees demand that it be considered :)

• Like 1

Dana 44 knuckles come off the same way was tie rods. Loosen both the ball joint nuts and hit the housing with a BFH where the ear wraps around the ball joint shaft. Lower first then upper, the knuckle should fall off.

I used a steering column from a 1980 720, the splined shaft is the same as the spline shaft that comes out of the yota box, steering U-joint from a Toyota to connect them. get rid of the rag joint as the 720 shaft is collapsible.

• Like 1

Dana 44 knuckles come off the same way was tie rods. Loosen both the ball joint nuts and hit the housing with a BFH where the ear wraps around the ball joint shaft. Lower first then upper, the knuckle should fall off.

I used a steering column from a 1980 720, the splined shaft is the same as the spline shaft that comes out of the yota box, steering U-joint from a Toyota to connect them. get rid of the rag joint as the 720 shaft is collapsible.

ok thanks that helps a bunch