4wd 1973 620 pickup

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gears is a good question. The 14b probably has 4:10's but you will want to verify. The full width 44 could have any gear set depending on the rig it was removed from.

Also keep in mind the 14 bolt is a big pig and you will want to run at least a 38" tire to keep the ground clearance at the differential that you would have with 35" tires and the 44.

If the gears match the 14b and you trade straight across that is probably a ok deal if all the parts are in decent condition as the 14b shouldn't be very expensive.

A 44 from a late mod Bronco or 1/2 tone Ford will be 65" As will be a 9".

10 bolt from a 1/2 ton Chevy = 65"

12 bolt and Dana 60 have about the same mass and droop.

38" Boggers ? ................ Hey, can you say tire greed ?...... Build big or go home.

I have given up on the: lets help build something the kid can afford to drive and maintain theory and will now switch to : lets help build something huge that will hold up and be safe from a Datsun.

If you are going to run 38" tires,   go for the 60 or 12 bolt. You will brake the 44 or the 9". Boggers bight well.

Get ready to cut the living shit out of the body and add lift for tire clearance. Strengthen the frame in a big way. Armor, lots of armor.

4:56 or taller gears. Big drive lines / High steer / panhards /  track bars etc.

EPIC build and rig. 

Will you, ( at 16 years old ) be able to afford to drive and maintain it? I suppose you could . Better get a good job.

Will you have the time left in the day ( after work and school ) to enjoy it ?

I'd guess, NO.

BUT you will gain the experience and the know how to build a rig . Right ( for you ) or wrong, the knowledge is priceless.So go for it.

• Like 1

I must have missed the 38" tire part if the conversation, I'm with box car, this is a huge undertaking to build a rig to stand up the that sort of punishment.

Not once in all my years of wheeling have I needed a tire bigger than 35" done a whole lot with just 33" tires.

A 44 from a late mod Bronco or 1/2 tone Ford will be 65" As will be a 9".

10 bolt from a 1/2 ton Chevy = 65"

12 bolt and Dana 60 have about the same mass and droop.

38" Boggers ? ................ Hey, can you say tire greed ?...... Build big or go home.

I have given up on the: lets help build something the kid can afford to drive and maintain theory and will now switch to : lets help build something huge that will hold up and be safe from a Datsun.

If you are going to run 38" tires,   go for the 60 or 12 bolt. You will brake the 44 or the 9". Boggers bight well.

Get ready to cut the living shit out of the body and add lift for tire clearance. Strengthen the frame in a big way. Armor, lots of armor.

4:56 or taller gears. Big drive lines / High steer / panhards /  track bars etc.

EPIC build and rig. 

Will you, ( at 16 years old ) be able to afford to drive and maintain it? I suppose you could . Better get a good job.

Will you have the time left in the day ( after work and school ) to enjoy it ?

I'd guess, NO.

BUT you will gain the experience and the know how to build a rig . Right ( for you ) or wrong, the knowledge is priceless.So go for it.

yea...i had momentary tire greed...back on the sano track

Yes, a wag ( late model ) with disk brakes is 62" mounting surface to mounting surface.

Pull a wag rear from a non quadratrack wag. Centered...  58" then add a disk brake set up. 62 surface to surface. The same can be done with a Scout 2 axle.

Most of us measure Backing plate to backing plate.

• Like 1