Hey Icehouse,,,, I need help...

In A lot of ways....

Anyway I have given up on my dream, a gsxr 1000 dime.

So I have this shell and I NEED a motor

I want a CA18DE, there is one on ebay with a auto tranny, what 5 speed will fit??

And Icehouse what gas mileage did you get with a CA18DE???

DSCN07382.JPG

I am tempted to go with a CA18DEBT:D

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find some doors first...then put in a good L-motor and drive the thing! Or do a CA swap and it will sit for a while longer. A 5 speed tranny will bolt up to the engine. Hell, Icehouse told me that the FWD CA18de will bolt up to the RWD tranny.

Yeppers all CA's have the same bell housing, unlike the SR's.... Why I don't know.... The CA18de is a bad ass motor IMO, I know you guys probobly won't believe this but with my CA18DE I could go to work and back for a week as long as I stayed out of the RPM's for the most part, on one tank of gas, 81 miles round trip. so it was getting over 37 MPG!!! Damn I miss that engine! It was all freeway driving but still thats damn good.

First off we need more pics of this rig, I know you and photo shop... I want to see an unmolested pic :D Didn't you have a different car to put the street bike engine in? Don't give up on the street bike engine, sell the 1000cc one and save up for a hayabusa one!! Don't let the BB list discourage you! Its a simple HP to weight equation. there are ton's of aftermarket parts for the hayabusa engine, so HP won't be a problem :D

here is my CA in the rusty car (the only pic I have of it)

Ray%27s%20swap%20meet%202005%20%2818%29.JPG

29 days from the field to on the road, a fast engine swap is possible!!

So the cheap route is the S12 trans, get the turbo one, from what I hear they are stronger... That tid bit is from clubs-12.org, so it may be wrong since half there info is...

I really want good gas milage, and a cheaper swap than turbo or busa.

Can I use the stock steering center link with CA18DE? It looks like you have the stock mainfold and heat sheild on there, how close was the steering box?

A KA tranny won't work? Maybe the S12??

I want to mount it as high as possible to accomidate for my desired ride height:

DSC510DE.jpg

No this is my same 510, I tore out the old L20 and got the R6 motor a year ago. I got totally discouraged by the lack of torque, and never really started trying to mount the motor.

Basically my car is too damm clean to hack up and turn into a boosted busa...

I have plans for a 1 liter mid engine go cart, with a fiberglass 510 shell, but for now I want to drive my 510 again, I drove it for 7 years but the L20 was tired and the transmission was even worse.

I like that 510!!! I'm not much of a fan of flares but your car looks damn good!! So the CA your getting doesn't have a tranny? If it doesn't you can use a s12 turbo bell with a Ka gear box if you want. It would be easier to just use the whole ca box, it's smaller which makes fitting it in the tranny tunnel much easier than the Ka H box tranny.

Don't do an L series!! I put one in my new 68, what a disipointment... My ka truck is 10x's faster!! Do the CA, SR, or KA.. EFI is sooooooooooooooo nice, well carbs may not be to bad if the have all the pieces :D

I think building a pan might be the best idea for a car that low, if you use the 620 engine mounts it should help with the oil pan ground clearance problem. The CA is acutally not that bad to put in. When I did mine I used the stock tranny mount shimmed slightly, moved the O2 (which helps gas milage) a little wiring, throttle cable and a radiator. 2 and 2 :D

I really want good gas milage, and a cheaper swap than turbo or busa.

Can I use the stock steering center link with CA18DE? It looks like you have the stock mainfold and heat sheild on there, how close was the steering box?

A KA tranny won't work? Maybe the S12??

I want to mount it as high as possible to accomidate for my desired ride height:

DSC510DE.jpg

No this is my same 510, I tore out the old L20 and got the R6 motor a year ago. I got totally discouraged by the lack of torque, and never really started trying to mount the motor.

Basically my car is too damm clean to hack up and turn into a boosted busa...

I have plans for a 1 liter mid engine go cart, with a fiberglass 510 shell, but for now I want to drive my 510 again, I drove it for 7 years but the L20 was tired and the transmission was even worse.

Dude, you have your car setup like I want to do mine. I going with the same wheels and Olive Drab, I am gonna spray mine with a flattening agent. I love the rims and the colur of your car, it looks so mean. Go with what the budget allows, an L is cheap but technology has progressed nicely since the sixties. Fuel injection will make a much more driveable car, better mileage too! Don't get discouraged, the car is badass.

In Europe the do tons of bike engine cars, there is a company in California that sells and adapter flange that fits on the chain sprocket that allows you to bolt on a driveline. If I remember right the Hayabusa 1300cc engine has over 150hp and around 100 ft lbs of torque, Thats better than the L16 thats for sure!! I think it would be better in a datsun 1200 myself.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=qpbA8dbCTlk

check out the VW with the hayabusa engine in it, it was also converted to RWD, lets see the adverage L series hang with that!! :D

Jeff!!!!!!!

If it was that EZ there would be tons of 510 doing this swap.

Plus he gave up and wanted it running asap.

He said, he wanted help

Have him crate it up and you get it running and CHARGE a Bazzillion dollars :D.

Fixed lol

Wow 37 mpg, that's better than the 510 with L16 original engine.

Icehouse, you used the stock CA18DET engine control module, right? The aftermarket ones rarely get that good mileage.

David I had 2 turbo CA's but they were single cams, the dual cam CA I had in the photo is a non turbo. I'm sure the turbo's got bad millage in comparison to the non turbo's. My non turbo got amazing gas milage!!

Jeff!!!!!!!

If it was that EZ there would be tons of 510 doing this swap.

Plus he gave up and wanted it running asap.

He said, he wanted help

Have him crate it up and you get it running and KEEP IT.

EZ is a relative term, I enjoy working on datto's more than driving them, so basically work=time not difficulty, most people don't want to invest that much of there free time in a datto, that's why there isn't that many cool cars driving around. I don't think the swap would be to much harder than a KA, the hardest part would be there is no ones design to copy. Hainz buy me a Hayabusa engine, I bet you me and Frank can have it in before you finish your L20 :D

I have to agree with ICEHOUSE. Fuel injection is sooooooooo nice. It's dead reliable when left in relatively stock form and returns great performance and mileage. It compensates for load, elevation and temperature. That's just the fuel system! The engine itself (CA18DE) is far superior, technologically speaking. The L-motors are fine. I've run several and they are okay for a stocker but they aren't even 70's technology -- They are a pretty faithful knockoff of Mercedes Benz engines from the 50's. Technology is cheap and reliable. Besides that, it's a little out of the ordinary. Wouldn't a bit of extra effort be worth having something different?