Bolt on power: Dellortos w/ GX intake

Just a quick question: I'm looking to slap on a new intake manifold and a pair of Dellorto 40's on my b310. The question is, can I really just bolt this stuff on and call it a day? I'm wondering if it is absolutely necessary to do thinks like changing exhaust, porting, changing cam, springs etc. If I can get away with not doing that stuff, at least for a while, I may go ahead and buy this stuff. Thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya a KA, CA or SR swap is something I have been considering but there are a couple reasons why I'm not sure I want to do that.

1. the more I think about it the more expensive it sounds. I'd need a different rear end, drive shaft, exhaust, etc. The rear end is the biggest problem for me. I'd need an H190 which is very hard to find or a custom rear end which is expensive. Not to mention I have no where to keep my car while the motor is out of it.

2. I like the nostalgia of a rodded out stock motor. I just think it would be cool to open the hood and see it done that way. I guess I can't explain that.

I dunno, I'm open to opinions.

True that, but at least there you can avoid the pnw people that have no experience building a motors, telling you how easy it is to source things at junkyards. An expensive manifold starts sounding cheap after you begin factoring in the shipping of heavy things like difs and crossmembers. Although you should also keep in mind that any cheap sidedraft will most likely require a rebuild. As well as some linkage fab work.

True that, but at least there you can avoid the pnw people that have no experience building a motors, telling you how easy it is to source things at junkyards. An expensive manifold starts sounding cheap after you begin factoring in the shipping of heavy things like difs and crossmembers. Although you should also keep in mind that any cheap sidedraft will most likely require a rebuild. As well as some linkage fab work.

Sorry, it's your car do what you want.  Spend your money on whatever you want. Yes, I live in the PNW and that's what we do up here.

• Like 1

That seems like a whole lot of carb for a 1.5 that I assume is stock?

I would suggest spending the money you would put into this "upgrade" in head work, a cam, and either R1 carbs or a 38 weber downdraft. Depending on machine costs you are looking at about the same price as the dellortos and you have either easily rebuildable carbs or a brand new weber that can easily be reference for a blow through setup. Then look for a supercharger made for smaller displacement engines (around 2-2.5) and you have a pretty quick dd setup and you don't have any low rpm lag. There are plenty of people claiming 140-160whp with setups like these over at the 1200 forum.

This is the route I hope to go with my B210.

• 2 weeks later...

So is this not a good idea then? I have a Weber 32/36 on it now and it added some pep but it's nowhere near fast.

If you dont like the weber... I could totally take it off your hands  :angel:

Well, J-boy I don't think i'm going to be letting the Weber go just yet. It's always good to have a backup in case some other venture doesn't go as planned. I've been looking into this R1 setup a bit and I think it may be the way I'll go. The problem is finding someone to make the manifold. So far, I don't have a guy here in town that can build one; I've emailed someone that apparently makes these (found their email on Ratsun) and messaged a fellow Ratsun member that makes them out of billet as well. Hopefully something will turn up.

there's a guy on here that's doing an s13 rear end, with a KA swap i think, which would also give you IRS. So if you can find a 240sx, you may not even have to bother with trying to find the h190.