Just purchased my first 1980 Datsun 720 pickup!

ruckycharms

Okay guys, I know a lot of you saw me on here with my red 521 not too many moons ago. But things change and so does my mind. In a nutshell the Red truck was sold and I picked this one up shortly after. I always wanted to own 720, but I told myself that I would only pull the trigger if I found a really clean, all original one in red or black. So this thing popped up on craigslist and I was stunned! It was originally purchased at Irvine Datsun here in Orange County just 4 miles from where I live. Unbelievable... 

To add to all the awesomeness, the original owner kept meticulous records of every single fluid change and or repair that the truck ever had done. Every mile and interval was recorded from the first day of purchase until the day I bought it. Apparently the owner had moved to northern California then finally to Bakersfield where I made the trek up there with a friend. I slammed the money down and drove her back here to Irvine, where she lives with me now. Here are a few pics from the original owner's advertisement.

IMG_1858_zps50acd308.jpg

IMG_1861_zps7ed4c5b0.jpg

IMG_1860_zps3ef7aeac.jpg

Immediately I was groaning over the semi-truck mirrors and that ghastly molding that's definitely going to leave some body holes to be filled/covered. Another thing that must go is that fender trim. Not a fan of the silver sliding window either. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got her home and she didn't even so much as hiccup on the long ride back from Bakersfield, CA. She sails along smoothly on the freeway, although I suspect the tranny might need to be rebuilt at some point. I immediately went online and found ST sport mirrors, OEM floor mats, a colour matched black rear slider and I added my Nismo Steering wheel. Here she is the day I brought her back and after I yanked off one of the semi-mirrors.. gaping holes-yuck!

IMG_1896_zps72f1bf7b.jpg

[/url]

That's how she sat for a few weeks until I was able to get her over to Mr Big Tanker's house so we could do a little wheel swappin. While he was at it, he was nice enough to install my rear slider and some temporary molding to cover those nasty holes left behind from the previous molding- THANKS RAY!!

IMG_2168_zpsc62057cc.jpg

IMG_2166_zps0a46c8b0.jpg

IMG_2197_zps8c273b20.jpg

IMG_2199_zpsaf22d203.jpg

IMG_2202_zpsbec8a1e0.jpg

IMG_2203_zps16c4b6a5.jpg

IMG_2205_zps960c5ec2.jpg

IMG_2206_zpsba08ca14.jpg

IMG_2207_zps4ef77b33.jpg

• Like 3

I'll take some better pictures again soon. The sun light and time of day didn't lend itself to great lighting yesterday. I think I am pretty much in love with Blazer Rally wheels on classic trucks. Mine is the first I have seen with Rallys. I owe the look of these to Mr Big TAnker. Great suggestion by the way man. I didn't care for the gloss at first but now I can't imagine it without them! 

Damn rucky, sweet ride!

Reminds me of my days in high school...my best friend had an '83 extended cab 720...too much debauchery to be written about here...;)

Hopefully, we will see you at a meet in the near future!

Sweet truck man!  :thumbup:

Looks like the Base Model and the dealership prolly put in the AC. Does that still work?

Mine is a Deluxe, came with Tach and Clock, factory AC and rear window defroster wires.

That Nismo wheel you put in there looks great, fits so well it almost looks like its supposed to be there.

They are 195/50/15.They rode really good to be honest with you.I think the truck should come down 1 more inch and it would look a lot better.

Yellow tai massage boy get another back window rubber and i can change it out for you.

I just love it when you change my rubber for me Ray...

They are 195/50/15.They rode really good to be honest with you.I think the truck should come down 1 more inch and it would look a lot better.

Yellow tai massage boy get another back window rubber and i can change it out for you.

So 4" blocks then huh? Dude, the struts are already bout to hit pavement. But yeah I agree 

That's gotta be one of the cleanest original 720's I've seen to date... You also have the steering wheel I've been craving for years.....

Congrats man  :thumbup:

Believe it or not, those wheels pop up on Ebay about every threee months and on Craigslist as well. I just kept searching " Nismo " NIsmo Steering wheel " 

Believe it or not, those wheels pop up on Ebay about every threee months and on Craigslist as well. I just kept searching " Nismo " NIsmo Steering wheel "

I'd missed one on ebay a while back, and have been on the lookout on both ebay and Craigslist since.. Last one I saw on ebay recently was 700+.. Screw that haha