My '75 710 build

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Abe Froman said:

Nice work, you mentioned about going back to stock color but what are some of the other build plan's/details ? 

What bumper are you looking for ?

Thank you!

Close plans are to soundproof, undercoat, and restore hardware/linkages. I'm gonna take my time and make sure everything is perfect before it's installed on the car. Within the next month or so I'll have a better idea of what the next steps will be. 

I have a front bumper, looking for a rear one at the moment.

VC1JFTP.jpg

bZtKB2y.jpg

D6UhcM3.jpg

tSCR3TA.jpg

xX0knZx.jpg

More progress. Headlight holes were filled and re-drilled to stock condition. My father and I regrettably did some plasma cutting back in the day to fit some aftermarket headlights and it looked really ragged so I had the shop shape it back to as close to stock as possible. 

Paint pictures coming soon!

Enjoy!

Edited by shakotan710
  • Like 1
On 1/10/2020 at 3:25 PM, Abe Froman said:

I you are going to run a '74 rear bumper you are going to need to modify the tail light panel, the number plate mounts on the bumper.  Something to thing about before paint.

PM sent

18583135-1974-datsun-710-std.jpg

International rear bumper

4504.jpg

International bumper looks a bit better IMO. I think that'll need to be the route I take. 

23 hours ago, INDY510 said:

I didn't realize how different the sheet metal was  …. my 74 Hardtop looked like this:

28484538982_2d9362511d_b.jpg

Haha, you learn something new every day! I didn't know there was a difference until last night; it took me a couple glances to notice it. 

• 2 months later...

DyrvxKM.jpg

obto9Iu.jpg

wncdziJ.jpg

Q21PIUi.jpg

leBSF5R.jpg

QCbv0ux.jpg

1EuKW83.jpg

ajSsQWl.jpg

5FlQWS9.jpg

XMqcAGT.jpg

cQYJ9Ey.jpg

Paint was finish right around Christmas! Started to stock up on new steering parts and sent the box to a local friend to get restored and painted. 

Also planning on redoing the entire stock interior in a much more improved manner. This will include sound deadening, foams, insulation, and various other parts that I’ll be posting about.

One thing I’ve been having a hard time with are rubber seals. I can’t seem to find any matching door seals, trunk seals, tail light seals online. 

• Like 2

I see that you're testing out all of the wheel options!

I found a place in LA that had the window weatherstripping ...after driving cross country with no radio and the wind going WAHHHHHHHHHH!

Here's some info from an email from 9 years ago (this was the weatherstripping between the side windows.):

18" pieces of E401 are in stock. You can come in to p/u or I
can send in the mail. All I need is a Credit Card. Let me know. You can call
909-874-3040 & ask for Joe Jr. Thank you. Joe

jjfab@linkline.com

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Will said:

I see that you're testing out all of the wheel options!

I found a place in LA that had the window weatherstripping ...after driving cross country with no radio and the wind going WAHHHHHHHHHH!

Here's some info from an email from 9 years ago (this was the weatherstripping between the side windows.):

18" pieces of E401 are in stock. You can come in to p/u or I
can send in the mail. All I need is a Credit Card. Let me know. You can call
909-874-3040 & ask for Joe Jr. Thank you. Joe

jjfab@linkline.com

Will,

Yea haha, at the time that was all I had available. Now it's sitting on all of the same 13" Riversides. 

Oh awesome! Sure that was helpful after you already drove that far haha.

I can't thank you enough, the company I was trying to contact in New Zealand won't respond to my emails.

I'll send him an email tonight, I appreciate the help so much. 

Thomas

• 3 weeks later...

Small update

Getting things together for plating and received some rubber grommets/pieces for the floor and firewall.

Next steps are to order a paint for the underside of the car, as well as some more rubber pieces including door seals, a trunk seal (PS: 510 trunk seal is not the same and neither are the trunk shape between the coupe and other 710 body styles), more floor plugs, and lastly some sound deadening.

Steering is getting figured out and the box is getting cleaned and a new seal installed at the moment. Installing an idler arm in the next few days and then I'll need to figure out what I want to do for control arms and tie rods since Ermish racing has some that look like they're made for lowered cars with their modified steering knuckles and control arms, which I plan to send off soon. Center link will be ordered as well and I'll have a brand new steering setup, which the car hasn't seen since it was bought back in '75.

No pictures at the moment but I'll post some once there's some more visual progress. 

On 4/13/2020 at 5:24 PM, shakotan710 said:

Small update

Getting things together for plating and received some rubber grommets/pieces for the floor and firewall.

Next steps are to order a paint for the underside of the car, as well as some more rubber pieces including door seals, a trunk seal (PS: 510 trunk seal is not the same and neither are the trunk shape between the coupe and other 710 body styles), more floor plugs, and lastly some sound deadening.

Steering is getting figured out and the box is getting cleaned and a new seal installed at the moment. Installing an idler arm in the next few days and then I'll need to figure out what I want to do for control arms and tie rods since Ermish racing has some that look like they're made for lowered cars with their modified steering knuckles and control arms, which I plan to send off soon. Center link will be ordered as well and I'll have a brand new steering setup, which the car hasn't seen since it was bought back in '75.

No pictures at the moment but I'll post some once there's some more visual progress. 

Loving the build! Makes me have more aspirations for mine! I've been looking for door and trunk seals for my 710 so I'd be curious as to where you source them from.

1 hour ago, angel6er said:

Loving the build! Makes me have more aspirations for mine! I've been looking for door and trunk seals for my 710 so I'd be curious as to where you source them from.

Hey,

A door would just be from looking around craigslist and other secondhand parts websites, I'll be sure to keep a look out and inform you if I find anything. 

I recently ordered a 510 trunk seal hoping that it was at least a bit similar to the 710 coupe and it is NOT. So, I'm going to try my hand at a 710 sedan trunk seal since it should at least be the same molding. I have a friend that has a 710 2dr sedan and once "shelter-in-place" has been lifted I'll go and see if we can just buy those instead. They seem to be readily available on eBay from Thailand. 

• 4 weeks later...

Floor plugs are in. I’m going with the Wurth stone guard spray as my undercoat. This stuff is typically used for European cars and should hold up well over the long run. I had to do some minor sanding in spots that were overlooked and applied the spray and the paint took on a really good texture and cured properly. (Sanded down to bare metal, no in-between pics) This was also applied under the car where all the plugs go so that when I go and spray all the undercarriage I don’t need to go back out and pull all the plugs and interior. Everything can just be carefully masked off. 

aWh6loQ.jpg

FPDz17j.jpg

fLrVJ9Q.jpg

WjDqfjy.jpg

Sound deadening ordered and some has shown up. I purchased a kit from CarBuilders in Australia. 

Was told that the steering box is getting finished up this week. Went ahead and bought a center link and just need some tie-rods and steering should be covered. 

Pulled out all the front suspension and that should be going in to start the rebuild/repaint sometime this week.

xbJ1hfS.jpg

DgcW22t.jpg

• Like 1
19 hours ago, DARIN 510 said:

I have a friend with spare 710 parts. Don’t know if your interested and where you are located. 

Darin,

I might be interested. I'm in Davis, CA and would be willing to travel or pay for shipping on specific parts. Send me a PM and let's set something up!

Thomas