I could use some Datto advice! (pic heavy)

Hey guys! I'm an enthusiast, not new to cars or projects. I've had about 5 s13s, my current s14, and my s12 project...but I stumbled across something that I can't say I've had much experience with.

I love Datsuns, I've always wanted something older like a 510 or a Z...but in particular, a wagon.

I found this 810 on Craigslist and it sounds great, though it definitely needs some work (go figure, right?) so I thought I'd post some photos and such that this guy has sent me and get some feedback from you all.

Let me say that this guy is legit, he's really cool and had been very straight forward about the car - not trying to hide anything. I just want to see if you guys think it would be a worthwhile project, or if I should keep looking for something a little better.

Anyway, here's the pics:

datsun810201.jpg

datsun810209.jpg

datsun810223.jpg

datsun810222.jpg

datsun810221.jpg

datsun810220.jpg

datsun810219.jpg

datsun810218.jpg

datsun810216.jpg

datsun810215.jpg

datsun810214.jpg

datsun810213.jpg

datsun810211.jpg

datsun810210.jpg

datsun810202.jpg

datsun810203.jpg

datsun810205.jpg

datsun810206.jpg

As you can see it's in pretty good overall shape, but it has some rust issues. He says the underbody was coated, so there's no floor or rail cancer (I've asked for photos of the underside as well as door jams, interior shots, and other common rust spots, which I should get today).

He's asking about 3 grand with some extra stuff to toss in, and said he can point me in the direction of a man with a replacement grille lol. 

What do you guys think? I appreciate the help!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My first thought when I saw the pics was $1000-1200 based on what needs to be fixed and/or replaced. Then I saw his price - yikes! For $3k or anywhere near it, I hope the thing runs like a dream, has a super nice interior, new tires, etc. In other words, everything except what we can see is very nice.

• Like 1

Hey thanks for all your input guys! 

You were all on the same line of thought that I was pretty much...I felt like the price was a bit steep and wanted to talk it down, but like I said he's going to send me some more pics soon, so I was going to wait to "lowball" him until I saw what the interior and underside looked like.

thisismatt - thanks for that link, I just emailed him and am waiting anxiously on a reply...I was prepared to spend about 3k on a good 810 wagon, and between his price and getting it sent here on a truck, that would be about what it would cost. I REALLY like that one...the roof rack is sick! Hopefully he gets back to me and still has it.

Well he says it don't run unless he charges the battery and pours some fuel in the intake lol.

I haven't heard back from him yet. I really hope I do though, I like the brown one better than the yellow one though.

http://m99.photobucket.com/albums/Eternally_Defiant/810%20wagon/

Here's a photobucket album with all the pics I've gotten so far. Interior actually looks pretty good!

It'll definitely need two front fenders and the right front door. If I can get that stuff...and maybe a few fresh dash parts...I'd buy it for the right price

I'm also getting a start up running vid tomorrow so I can see how that is.

Thoughts?

I'm certainly going to try and talk him down, but I'm sure I'm going to be overpaying just a bit....unfortunately that's how it is with old Datsuns on the right coast. They're hard to find, harder to find cheap, and next to impossible to find them cheap & clean.

I'd love that brown one, but the owner emailed me back saying it's up in the air whether it's actually for sale or not pending some family issues.

i'd say if you like it, go for it. I remember what prices for dattos were on the east coast when I was out there 3 year ago, when 7k for a beat to shit non running 280z was not uncommon. if you don't wanna come out to the west side, I don't think that'd be a completely unreasonable price. if you come out here tho you can find much better for cheaper, just may end up being the same price to get it back in the end

i'd say if you like it, go for it. I remember what prices for dattos were on the east coast when I was out there 3 year ago, when 7k for a beat to shit non running 280z was not uncommon. if you don't wanna come out to the west side, I don't think that'd be a completely unreasonable price. if you come out here tho you can find much better for cheaper, just may end up being the same price to get it back in the end

I'm totally agreed. I'd love to be able to search the west side and find a car in better condition for less (as I've seen with multiple Craigslist searches), but as it's been said I'd prolly spend about as much just to get it back to me.

Plus I kind of have this issue with buying a car i've never actually seen. At least this one I can drive and have a look at it before actually forking over the cash. If it's a Cali car I gotta ask for tons of pics and go on faith, yknow?  Prolly wouldn't be a big deal, but it just makes me a tad uneasy.

this car is on Ratsun already....

so I've heard! if it's been here before and it's in this state...well apparently it hasn't been too well cared for lol

It's been well cared for I'm sure they all rust like that. And no these cars are not easy to find I would know

well I suppose I shouldn't have said that so finitely. I'm sure it's been cared for, I meant moreso to say it hasn't gotten to someone who has been able to go the extra mile for resto.

In any case, I'm pretty certain I'll purchase this car if I can get it for the right price, and then you guys will be seeing a lot more of it.

• Like 1

The seller has been doing internet "research".And everything he reads is true.Rare-ity doesn't make up for condition when there are no real parts sources.

If anything, rarity has no bearing on a car with no source for parts. Could be the rarest car in the world but if I can't find the parts to restore it or maintain it...it's got little value.

I'm willing to overpay a bit, because I really want one and you guys have been extremely helpful in helping me find stuff, even before I've bought it!

I'm gonna have fun finally being part of the Ratsun community.

Hint:

If you go to look at it and buy,take TWO VEHICLES.One that you are in and the other pulling the trailer.Have a friend with teh traler stay a couple blocks away and wait for the deal to be concluded.Then pull up.If the guy sees the trailer right away-he knows you want it bad.