Project Chump Truck/Autocross Truck D21

HRH

Sweet!  No problem, glad to see Mike walking around better too.  That's tonight?  Well crap, late nights at NAPA, I'm missing it.  I'm all excited though.  Got a new helmet today.  Found out there are a few other entries in HS now, so I may have may work cut out for me, depending on what PAX index I get.  Looking forward to racing again though.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gracie III did awesome today!!  Got 1st in H Stock class, beat out a mini and a Subaru.  Not that exciting, but I pulled some pretty damn decent times.  Regy couldn't quite catch me in his Z, but he also has 205/70 15s of crappiness on his poor Z, whereas I have 215/60 15s.  Once we get him some new tires and better suspension, the Z should kick ass.

The first runs dropped and then kept being close.  Kept getting 56.2s and 56.9s.  Pulled it out on the last run with a 55.28!!

• Like 1

Matt - Thanks for taking the time to post all this. I was wondering all day how it was going for you guys. Sounds like you had a great time, although I don't know how hot it got there. I'd like to think you will both come home and start working on your 510s, but I suspect in reality you will be working on your truck and Reg on his Z, getting ready for the next autocross.

Len

No problem Len!  It wasn't too hot.  90s but a nice breeze blowing.  And I am doing jack nothing except playing on the computer watching episodes of Roadkill on youtube.  I'm plenty tired.  But I do have a big shit-eating grin on my face.  Can't wait to see the actual results, in fact, I'm going to go check the site now to see if they've been uploaded yet.

Don't worry Len, I'll be workin on my 510. All the z needs is money thrown at it, which probably isn't gonna happen for a while. I think we need to get your 510 ready for next month. It will be a good way to blow off harvest steam. I know that's all I'm going to be thinking of all harvest.

• 1 month later...

So I finally weighed the chump truck today.  It weighs 2920 at the scales.  That's with me and the dog in it.  Weighed the dog and me and some 8 bottles of iced tea I had from the store, which comes out to 211 pounds.  That's with roughly 3/4 tank of fuel.  No spare tire or spare tire mechanism, no rear bumper, but rear 1" tow hitch.

So that means the truck weighs 2709 +- 20 pounds since the dump scale oscillated between 2900 and 2920.  It's actually lighter than I expected.  Think my '97 hardbody was a bit heavier actually.  Of course it did have a rear bumper and door panels and probably a few more crash improvements being it was right before they were moving to the Frontier.  And as we all know, versions of cars only get heavier with time. (Except the Miata, they've been really good about that.)  Think the new ones are only 50 pounds heavier than the old ones.  More if you have the power retractable hard top, but hey, it's a power retractable hard top.

Next in line today is slotting the top ball joint bolt holes in an attempt to get some camber back in the front tires.  Wish I had a camber gauge right about now, but oh well.

Oh no, they're all gone.  It's almost neutral, but still slightly positive.  I should be able to get 1/4" out of the upper ball joint.  Of course I haven't calculated that, but with the WAG theory, it should throw me enough negative to do some good.  I was going to have Joe mill the rod that mounts it to the frame, but we decided slotting the holes is a better start for negative camber.  I'll figure out a way to lock it out after I slot it though, don't want those things moving.

I also started removing things.  E-brake bracket assembly, floor sound deadening, jack holder and spare tire rod (those have already been removed).  As of tonight, I've removed a full 15 pounds of material from the truck, all from the cab, so that's a plus.  I may swiss cheese hole saw the inner fender liners too.  Trying to just remove stuff first, I'd prefer to keep it as unmolested as possible, but I want to rid the truck of at least 100 pounds of weight, as much in the front as possible.  Don't think I can relocate the battery unless I want it in the bed, and that promotes methhead stealing, so it will probably stay where it is.

OH YEA ritard moment :blush:  I forgot for the hardbody they moved the location on the uppers outside the shock tower! DUH! I haven't plotted the hardbody front suspension, but the early king pin and 620/720 ball joint stuff have really bad postitive camber with body roll issues and horrible roll center etc. Not sure if it will be a problem or not, but I'd keep an eye on upper ball joint binding too after its slotted. keeping it locked down all i would do is get those locking flanged fasteners they seem to work a little better than flat washers and lock washers here's a link in case your like  :confused:  :confused:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-head-flange-cap-screws/=o8olzw

Yeah, my Datsun guru was all, "You're going the wrong way!" when I told him I wanted to grind the mounting bar, and I was like, no, I'm not! :D  Then we went out and looked at his 720 vs. the D21.  I forgot they were on the inside of the frame on the 620/720s.

You know, I see a problem here.  I searched all over youtube, but I don't see one damn video of a turbo Z24.  Other than stupid Chevy Cockoliers.  I may do some pull and save turbo investigation tomorrow.

You know, I see a problem here.  I searched all over youtube, but I don't see one damn video of a turbo Z24.  Other than stupid Chevy Cockoliers.  I may do some pull and save turbo investigation tomorrow.

There was a turbo'ed z24 at Canby this year

Started slotting with good results, other than I need a bigger air compressor that can keep up with a full-tilt air tool.  I also need some 8mm washers as the slot is big enough, the lock washer gets trapped a little on the side and doesn't lock as well as it should.  Flat washer will solve that.  I'm thinking about making a keeper tab to go between the ball joint and the edge of the control arm to keep it from moving.

controlarmslots1_zps8a298ea5.jpg

controlarmslots2_zpse5088db3.jpg

controlarmslots3_zpse61adf55.jpg