Project Chump Truck/Autocross Truck D21

HRH

Dang, that looks like good eatin' Len! :D

That may be what Mr. Snake was thinking about us. I think Reg might have saved me from getting chomped on, two days in a row. With my eyesight and hearing, I'm like Mr. Magoo around these guys. They are probably buzzing away at me and I'm oblivious.

Len

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so I got a lot done today on the truck.  Pretty much buttoned up all the loose ends.  Some not as much as I'd like, but good enough for now.  Shackle bushings will need a more permanent solution, they probably won't last long without decent sleeves considering how chewed up the h plates were.  I'm uploading photos now, I'll do descriptions later.  You can probably figure it out anyway.

backview1_zpsfac5aa12.jpg

oldbushings1_zpsc639ca70.jpg

shackle1_zpsdff66a78.jpg

oldbushings3_zpsd7d77453.jpg

newbushings1_zpsec80708f.jpg

newbushings2_zpsbd93e840.jpg

emptysprings1_zps78ed5dcc.jpg

oldshocks_zpsb72776c0.jpg

bushingsshocksin_zps6cdcd02a.jpg

Found some frame damage.  It's not too bad.  Should be able to straighten it easily enough.

framebend1_zps9462b96f.jpg

framebend2_zpsfb69c5a8.jpg

framebend3_zpsc760c9bb.jpg

frontshocks1_zpscf9ec574.jpg

shockholes1_zps79c85f71.jpg

[/url]

My cool plan is foiled due to old shitty shocks.  No more Mr. Nice Guy!

IMG_5438_zps8b1694de.jpg

IMG_5439_zpse3b42dab.jpg

Last but not least, I adjusted the ride height in the front so I'm not hitting the bumpstops quite so soon.  Should work a lot better through the corners now.

And holy crap, here we go!  I'm finally back to feeling the confidence of tackling the 510!  She's rough.  Going to get rougher before she gets done.  I need to strip the engine bay so I can paint it.  Just washed most of the dust off her, it's 94 outside, should dry pretty quickly.

eleanorlives2_zps6ea54b75.jpg

eleanorlives1_zpsdd931633.jpg

• Like 1

Awright, back to the 510! Waiting with bated breath for the KA build thread. Or are you still going with the KA? I daydream about a KA,  but now that my 510 is running, I can't stand think of making it non-running for even a brief period of time. I think I'd have to get a second 510 to do a engine project on.

I almost went to Spokane via Cheney on Saturday, so I could tell you it is time to work on your 510. But I didn't need to. You read my brain waves or something. So I had extra time to wander around Pull n Save in the rain. I found a pickup it looked like someone was trying to pull the head off of. They got the the cam sprocket and most of the manifold bolts. It looked like the two under the manifold stopped them. That peanut head you got from me for Reg was the same story. Everything was off but the lower manifold bolts, then I came along and grabbed it.

Len

Haha, nice.  A wobbly socket makes short work of those.  I have one for just such occasions!  And yes, the plan is all three of us caravaning to Canby next year.  It will be the epic Spokane area road trip!  And yes, still doing KA.  Debating whether forced induction KA, or just regular KA so I can drive the damn thing.  Lots of work to do for sure.  At least I may actually get started on it again though.

cool - just got  93 d21 and know zilch about it except the brake lines are so pitted they leak but we got  section replaced yestrdy - lots sa rust but I like the truck

its a 93 d21 auto sitting for 6 years- used t have a 76 datsun many yr ago - liked it

Is there a thread forum sit especificlly for the D21?

thnx

I am just n of you in Nelson bc, the video looked fmiliar - Spokane!

cheers

goota chase a gas leak too :(

There's no section for D21 specifically, but I try to pepper a bunch of stuff in here and there.  Automatic huh?  Well, at least the rear end gearing is desirable for a stick transplant!  D21s are pretty simple.  In fact, I'd argue as simple as 620s as far as the basics.  Even the EFI is pretty rudimentary.

cool- why do you call it a chump truck?

say, my water pump pissed out a qt of fluid the other day and got noisy a bit- I poured a pint of snake oil in and it seems to help- is it still going to die?

Not famiiar with this machine but sure like it- it was parked under a tree for 6 years so th fan blew a cloud of twigs n diust on me lol

Scraped the oxide of the dist cap contacts- plugs look good and newish- cant get at the filter so just changed the black oil w  wallymart  5/30

This d21 93 is automatic and seems skookum- like the OD button for braking

Rusty underneath- we had to replace one rotton line

and today with a friends help we removed the l fr fender and banged a big dent out then patched the rot hol w epoxy

motor seems strong and runs cool

hard to find thtranny dip but finally did and it looks good

like your videos

so long for now from nelson bc

nice truck, those rear springs make me nervous :w00t: , but then again i have never had to replace a set of them yet either (im sure thats fun too) so im sure its just oodles of fun when one breaks (while on the road doing 60, twice the fun, i bet it would cause the autonomous reflex where your butt-cheeks attempt to grab the seat of the truck through your jeans even though it just isnt possible with current Newtonian physics) im sure theres a scientific word for that sensation hehe

Anyways keep it up, your doing better then me i think, i managed to destroy my trucks interior im not sure why though, i took my dash out, ripped the vinyl off and about half way through thought...hmmm why am i doing this....meh what the hey! (proceed to go back to ripping and sanding)  :thumbup:

Well found a slight problem with the truck!  Been chasing a water leak for a week or two.  Thought I finally found it, the rear heater hose at the block fitting.  So I replaced the hose, guess what?  Still leaking!  Finally got my whole head under there to realize it was water leaking from the intake manifold.  So off comes the manifold here in a bit and I'll replace that gasket.  Didn't use any sealant which was a mistake.  Those little water ports below the intake ports are fairly problematic unless you put just a little rtv around them.

So after a long hiatus, I finally registered for autocross after a break of about 3 years.  Which means I better hurry up and fix the truck tomorrow!  It's next weekend, the 21st.  Len, if you read this, you ought to egg Regy on to take his Z out there.  If he fixes the brakes. :)  

Haha, check what I have from pull and save!  Got a mess of parts.  Swaybar I didn't have, power steering setup that hopefully works, a fan shroud, and a couple of extra upper control arms.  I'm going to shave down the mounting bars so I can actually get some camber in the front.  All for $78. :D  Now I just have to get the power washer out and go nuts with cleaning.  This shit was greasy beyond belief.

psparts_zps916bfd56.jpg

So spent yesterday and a portion of today working on the D21.  Seems like everything is normal now, which is good.  Slathered the crap out of the intake gasket and rebuilt the TBI.  It actually looked beautiful except for a little bit of seepage from one of the gaskets.  Also, the original plate gasket for the upper halves is much thinner than the oe gasket.  As a result, you have to redo the fast idle cam.  Not a big deal, just threw me that it was idling higher when I started it back up.  Though half of that was the big vacuum leak because I forgot to reattach the vacuum booster line.

mollyhelping_zpsfec9998e.jpg

Molly helping.

tbi1_zps8744ca64.jpg

tbi2_zps91ad085c.jpg

tbi3_zps2862b792.jpg

There are two little pedestal rings that the injectors sit on.  Don't loose those when you tap them out of the housing!

look at those shiny new bar links, i just did mine a few days back, used my leg to lift a crowbar holding the stabilizer bar then slipped the link in with my hands.

I am also bad about leaving tools under the hood sometimes, the best one was when we left a whole roll of paper towels in the engine bay and they survived a 15 mile drive. lol

Reg said today there was autocross this weekend and you were going to run your truck. I'll pester him to take his Z and run it. He has a really bad cold but for his sake I hope he recovers by the weekend. I'll probably have the cold by then. I've got a scratchy throat, but was blowing dust out of combine radiators today. Too early for cold symptoms even if Reg did infect me.

I should have gone to Pull n Save Saturday. Instead I went to the swap meet at the Fairgrounds. Pretty much a wasted day although entertaining. About the only thing I saw that tempted me was another old dead 32/36 Weber,  but it had the weird water choke that I know nothing about. I need to read up on the water choke. Probably should have bought it just to keep my other dead Webers company.

I'm hoping your truck runs well this weekend so you can get on to the 510 KA install. Waiting with bated breath for that build thread. I just hope it is complicated enough that I don't get any illusions of trying a KA myself. I CAN'T do anything to disable my 510 now that it is finally running. But maybe another 510 will turn up behind a barn that I can use as a project car.

Len

I'm hoping this weekend goes well too, but tell Regy he has to stay away if he has a cold!!  No getting me sick! ;)  I have a little bitty water issue.  I've solved the leaking antifreeze problems, but I can still smell it.  And it seems the water level is veeeeeerrrryyyyy slightly going down.  I'm beginning to think the heater core is just oozing because after beating the shit out of the truck on a daily basis, if it was a head gasket, I already would have superheated the water and caused something to fail.  However, I might just yank the spark plugs tonight and double check I don't have anything awry.

So tonight I tried the hail mary and put some Bar's Leak in the radiator.  Hoping it will find any remaining leaks and stop them, and if not I'll loop the heater hoses and bypass the heater core and see if that improves.  I probably should have planed the head, I'm still worried about that.  But then I keep thinking even a small crack should be letting exhaust gases back into the cooling system.  And I can't get the truck to over heat.  I've had it on the freeway at 95 for 5 miles (keep in mind it's a 4 speed) and it doesn't budge an millimeter over half gauge.

I'm driving it to work all the rest of this week.  Hopefully it will either stop, or break to the point where I can fix the remainder of what needs to be fixed, if anything.

There's an 80 210 at the valley PNS, I need that steering box for a spare!!  Almost picked it up but was too busy getting hardbody stuff.  Just needs the three bolts off and the pitman arm castle nut.  If you happen to go there and grab it, I'd gladly pay you Len. ;)

It's supposed to be in the low 90s the next 5 days, so it will be a good test of your cooling system. I doubt it is anything that will suddenly get a lot worse and leave you stranded. But certainly worth checking the coolant level at home and again before you leave work. When the head gasket was going bad on my 510, I was checking the radiator on both ends of the commute. When it got so bad I needed to add coolant to make it to work, and add more to get home, I knew it was getting dangerous to keep running it.

I don't have Reg's cold yet, but don't know what the incubation period is for normal cold viruses. I spent part of the day blowing dust and chaff out of another radiator. My plan is to keep my sinuses and lungs so full of dust the viruses can't get a toehold.

If I get to P&S I'll try to get the 210 box, but I may not be there for awhile. I'm guessing we will be starting harvest toward the end of next week, so I'll likely stay home and rest this weekend. Then 2 1/2 weeks of harvest so no P&S. I still don't know how long cars stay in the yard at P&S. It seems like at least a month, maybe longer. Always a chance of days off for rain during harvest, although I don't want that. I want harvest to get here and get it over with as quickly as possible.

Len