Project Chump Truck/Autocross Truck D21

HRH

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was bsing with my Datsun guru and we figured it out.  If the throttle valve is closed, not much air is getting through right?  So the mixture would be rich.  They put that decel cut in there to help keep the cat lit during decel to keep up with emissions.  It is, after all, Nissan Anti-Pollution System - Z.  Not only is there that, but there's also the air valve that injects fresh air at a metered rate into the exhaust pipe to help the cat light off.  It's on anything mid-90s Nissan with obd-I.  I think obd-II was when they got rid of that due to having better technology.

So I'm all ready for this next autocross.  Got the truck pretty much ironed out.  I got shorted two bushing sleeves in my Energy Suspension kit, so I had to reuse an old shitty shackle.  Might fix that before then, or might just leave it.  It's not horrible, just the original shackle has some worn off the top where it was rubbing, so it's not perfectly round.  I did pull the poser move and ordered a whole bunch of stickers off Amazon instead of getting them at events like you're supposed to.  But I'm on a time crunch, and I don't think I'm likely to find a King Diamond concert anytime soon.  I'm hoping they arrive in time.  Going to plaster the rear window to give it the right 80s vibe.  We have a King Diamond logo, a Slayer logo, a Ministry logo, and a Megadeth logo to top it off.  I'm soo going to enjoy beating some fancy cars this next weekend.  Muah hah haaaa!  :devil:

(Oh yeah, and a Judas Priest sticker to pay homage.)

• Like 3

Stickers!!!!  :D

IMG_5661_zps96122b12.jpg

And I listened to Slayer all day, and I'll probably listen to it on the way up to autocross, while raining blood from a lacerated sky!!!! :D

IMG_5669_zps98cfb3ca.jpg

Some new graphics from Creepy Cruiser!  Thanks Todd!!  I'm sure they will intimidate many expensive vehicles.

IMG_5663_zps3bc6a206.jpg

Replaced the drag link (center link) tonight.  Not the best idea before autocross, but it seems to be pretty darn close.  Good enough for rat truck purposes.  I'll check the alignment again later.  Tie rods didn't move any, and the bar appeared to be just fine as far as dimensions.  Of course, it doesn't take much to affect toe.

IMG_5665_zps32836654.jpg

IMG_5664_zpsc8d38f36.jpg

NOTE:  This entire drag link (4 balljoints) was removed with only a hammer.  Pickle forks are for hacks.  The old drag link was removed in a manner that I could still use it, should something be catastrophically wrong with the replacement piece.  Hammers don't split boots if you're careful.  Naturally it was from NAPA, so it was perfect.  ;)

IMG_5662_zpsd007e2ac.jpg

IMG_5667_zpsefec61d2.jpg

IMG_5668_zps1bde856a.jpg

I WILL DOMINATE AT AUTOCROSS TOMORROW!!!!

• Like 2

Well, I posted some pretty good times.  Had a problem with hitting cones though.  Only had one clean run the entire time.  51.7.  I had a 50.4 with two itty bitty cones.  Dammit!  Waiting to see what the overall results are, think I still beat a good number of people.  The camber made things ever so wonderful, didn't have nearly as much problem turning.  In fact, I didn't have any problem turning.  However, I do need more power.  This was a more sweeping course and if I had a bit more get up and go, I probably could have shaved some time off.  The last 1/4 of the course was flat out in third gear, with a little lift in one of the slaloms.  Tried my damnedest but just couldn't get around faster without whacking a cone or two.

New plan:  Use the 240 KA24DE I have for the chump truck.  Continue on with the plans I ditched for the V6 510.  Think it may just go that way.  Right now, the 510 is not on the list of getting done quickly.  Having too much fun with the D21.  Another 60 hp would be very welcome.  Might actually make it fast! :)

• Like 1

Fucking computer!!!!  Hit backspace and it dumped all I had put in here!

Anyway, continuing now with autocross pictures:

IMG_5673_zps660a3970.jpg

First thing dad asked: Why are there all those stupid stickers on it?  I replied, psychological warfare Dad, makes it that much better when I beat someone.  :D

IMG_5675_zps13184692.jpg

I even removed the windows to save weight today.

IMG_5674_zps8a2b10fb.jpg

Dad and the FJR next to the race truck.

IMG_5677_zps00836f54.jpg

IMG_5678_zps6fa8b524.jpg

IMG_5680_zps10c21458.jpg

IMG_5676_zpsf0827523.jpg

Sweet Z with a Rebello built motor.

IMG_5681_zps6430e1b1.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Matt - I was wondering how things were going for you today. Sorry it didn't go as well as you might have wanted. There is always next month (isn't there an October autocross?).

"Continue on with the plans I ditched for the V6 510." Huh? I missed hearing about this one. My reoccurring fantasy is a VG30 in my 510. Nothing exotic, just a plain VG30. But my new rule to live by is "DON'T do anything to make the 510 non-running, at least not for more than a couple of hours". The headlights on the 200SX quit during harvest so I've been daily driving the 510. And it is waaay cool!  You've seen my 510 and know how bad it is, but it is still cool to drive.

Not to give you a bad time (well yeah, I guess I am), but of the five 510s I know of (you, me, Reg, Rod, Brenden) it is me, the old really slow guy who has the only running one. That seems really weird somehow. I don't understand it myself. Anyway, I want to keep the 510 running, so I guess I need to find another 510 for the VG30 fantasy.

Len

:rofl:  Totally Len!  I'm having way too much fun with the other stuff.  I really hope I get the 510 finished eventually here, but I'm having difficulties envisioning the finished product.  And if I make the truck even faster, you may have to buy my 510!

Well damn, didn't beat the Boxster, he got me by a full second this time.  Raw time, finished 50 out of 65 cars.  If I would have had the 50.4 clean (got two cones) I would have been about 6 spots up and I would have beaten the Boxster.  Alas, it wasn't meant to be.  Oh well, still fun!

It briefly crossed my mind I should buy your 510, but immediately thought of several reasons why that isn't a good idea. I'm chronically, painfully cheap, and you have some fairly expensive suspension bits on your 510, so it is out of my price range. Considering how long it took me to get the L20b and dogleg into my 510, I'm not sure I would live long enough to do a serious swap like a KA or VG30. But the main reason is, I'm not going to be the one to take away HRH's only "real" Datsun! :P That sounds to me like a good way to get banned for life from Ratsun!

I think it is cool you are taking the autocross truck project along the way you are. But it occurs to me anything you do to the truck you could do to your 510. And I'm pretty sure the 510 would post much better times due to lighter weight and better suspension. If you built your 510 primarily for autocross, you could probably even leave the quarter panel the way it is. Keep in mind I'm not bitchin at you to fix your 510, just a bit of nudging (to do the right thing). Anyway, you'll have all winter to ponder and work on it.

Len

Haha, thanks Len, great minds think alike!  I was just running the numbers between power output given the various possibilities of motor choices and weight ratios.  The 510 is by far a better choice for autocross despite loving the hardbody.  Thus, it makes more sense to put the smaller motor in the truck, and actually do the VQ30 in the 510.  Minus some additional V6 transmission weight and drivetrain beef, it would basically have the same power-weight ratio of a WRX STI with a basic 189 hp VQ30.  Not sure on the torque ratio, but considering it is .5 bigger, I'd likely score a marginal win on that front as well.  Which means it would go like a bat out of hell.  And that would be fun.  I could also update it to the newer intake, which gives an additional 30 hp. :)  (After '99 Maximas.)

I need to shit or get off the pot though.  The 510 has been down too long.  If I can get the engine bay painted, that would be the best, then some newness will shine and I may be more motivated to finish it.  Right now, it's a shitpile of work, even without the bodywork.  The red truck is currently down, which is annoying me.  With inventory going on this week, I'm not going to get anything done on her before next weekend and I'll probably be wiped out by the weekend.

I need to find a job that pays the same and works 40 hours/week!

I did that, but it had already lost all the form data.  Booo!  Anyway, finally figured out what I'm going to do.  The turbo will be saved for the KAZ24, the white truck will get the KA24DE, and the 510 will get the VQ.  That will satisfy all angles I think.  Now I just need more money and more time to do it all quickly.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Alright, haven't updated this in a while.  Finally got the red truck finished, just as the white truck started having some braking issues.  So I just put it up on the back slab and yanked off all the wheels.  Rear brakes looked fine, front right caliper is getting weak I think, pulling hard to the left under hard braking.  So took a look this morning, looks like calipers and pads.  Rotors I had turned a while back.  However, I did find something worse!

I just replaced the upper balljoints at the same time I moved them inboard to gain more camber.  I also installed a front sway bar.  Apparently it's really really close under full compression, and moving it a quarter inch was a little too close.  It doesn't hit the balljoint, but it does hit the rubber.  So I need to redo that and go with the dropped spindles and figure out camber with something different.  I can always lengthen the lower control arm I suppose.  May not need to with drop spindles though.  From what Creepy has told me, I may have more than enough camber, but we shall see.

autoxbrakes1_zps129cff9a.jpg

autoxbrakes2_zps78aa4225.jpg

autoxbrakes3_zps76056742.jpg

autoxbrakes4_zps13efac59.jpg

Oh baby, that gives me some ideas!  And yeah, 3 degrees of negative camber is definitely the goal.  I'd like to find out how they did that.  I almost wonder if they lowered the mounting point for the upper control arm, thus moving it past lateral where it would move up and go shorter on compression, thus giving the negative camber you need to corner.  The upper arm is shorter already but is angled below 180 degrees so it actually goes positive as the suspension cycles.  I don't think it has enough movement to go past 180 and start adding camber on compression.

Torsion bars are a definite must.  For starters an extended cab truck would have stiffer bars for 2wd and that would be easily modified.  I need to research into that.  And as much as I'd like to do the KA head, you know, a high compression Z24i head wouldn't be that bad.  And it would certainly be within the rules.  Still, I have to beat a V8 car if I build it for EP class.  Kelsey's Thunderturd weighs 3000 and has about 250 horse.  I'd definitely need some high compression to equal the torque, but I'd be down on hp any way you look at it.  I could still do V6 option, but I'd rather just do some head work and not have to change anything.  Autocross is fun, but I'm on a budget.  If I can get the suspension where I want it and some sticky tires, I may be able to win without the extra power.  I mean, I'm only 300 pounds off a Miata, and I have a buttload more torque.

While I was talking to Regy, I thought of it!  Spacers for the upper control arms!  Like a bumpsteer spacer, but instead inbetween the upper control arm and the upper balljoint.  I just need to see how much I need to move the upper control arm past 180 degrees where it would start adding negative camber on compression.