Wheel scammer?

Stolen brings up a good point but again its pretty easy to check that I think. The shipping address matching the payment info is a pretty universal standard. As far as theft of funds is concerned cashiers check is actually safer in that respect. Someone could have robed cash right before showing up to buy them and you'd never know lol. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting to see all the misinformation in this thread. Let me set a few things straight. I will start my saying I manage the back office of a community bank. My department sees check fraud on a regular basis. Any crackhead with a computer and printer can create authentic looking "cashier's checks" that would not be detected by the front line staff and would get tossed around the system for days before it is returned as counterfeit. Unlike cash, there are no standards when it comes to checks. Often times the check will have a combination names, routing numbers and account numbers that don't match up but are good enough to pass through Fed to another bank. And when that check comes back, the person that deposited it is on the hook. A check is a contract between the payor and payee. The bank is merely the middle man. If you do take a check, give it two weeks before you even think about sending your wheels. And as has been already stated, if the check comes for more than what you asked, tear it up and find a new buyer.

• Like 5

Update. Found a buyer off ratsun. Other guy doesn't want to use PayPal. I imagine that his goal is to "buy" wheels from out of town and then resell them. Since I don't have his name or anything it makes it hard for him to be tracked. The Google number is probably a throwaway.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Just had this happen google voice, asked him to call directly instead of text, also mail money order.  I am passing on this one all the people have been very helpful post this thanks. I am just just trying to follow grass root motor sport rules to build my rig.

Best,

• 2 months later...

WTF? Two people complaining the OP is a scammer???

Wheel Scammer ??? that's you.  I paid you for the wheels on 8/30/13, its now 9/26/13 and no wheels.  I asked for my money back and no responses from you.

I have now filed a claim thru paypal.

You are the real wheel scammer.

RTB is a scammer. I paypaled him 8/23/13 for a manifold and carbs. He is nolonger responding to my calls or email.

Scam for sure.

Read the CL warnings. Checks, cashier personal or whatever are easy to fake and you will think you have the money in the bank until weeks later the paper trail ends and you bank takes the money back.

Or the check will be more than the price and he'll ask for the extra $ returned via check. Then you're out the extra money, thewheels anda scammer has your bank routing number, checking account number and full ameand address.

Check out http://www.clarkhoward.com for tips about this stuff

Well the two people complaining have next to nothing for post count, so we probably don't know them.  Does anyone know RTB and vouch for him?  Looks like he joined about the time this thread was started and only 97 posts.  Something's up.

And again, before buying anything off ratsun, pm another member or two and ask if the fellow has a good rep.  For instance, I always send what I sell.  Except for when Skib thought I sent him bum dual SU carbs because I packed paper towels in the float bowls so they wouldn't bang around during shipping.  He didn't take them out before trying to start it.   ;)

• Like 2

I will find RTB, I have his real name and phone number....here it is for anyone else who has been cheated, no robbed, by him
Gabriel Vidal.  913-536-4646.  He is in the Kansas City area.   I trust people, especially car guys, so this has me very angry and I will use resources to get even fix it with RTB, (even if it costs me a lot more than the $430 he stole from me.

Mike I know you didn't mean that as a threat and it's a common enough saying.

Well the two people complaining have next to nothing for post count, so we probably don't know them.  Does anyone know RTB and vouch for him?  Looks like he joined about the time this thread was started and only 97 posts.  Something's up.

Then again they are also noobs and may have simply and honestly bought from someone they don't know and trusted them.

Wow, I'm hoping there is a good explanation for this level of irony....

And again, before buying anything off INTERNET FORUMS, pm another member or two and ask if the fellow has a good rep.  

This is why I like paypal and credit cards. Don't get you shit you paid for? File a dispute and get your $ back. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with this type of thing in a loooong time, hopefully never again.