Happy 521 Day!!

4perrev

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had mine from '78 through '86. Rebuilt the L16 with new rings and valve seals. The rod bearings were real bad but couldn't afford new, so took the ones out of my retired field car (510) they weren't as bad and used them. Eventually I replaced the tired L16 with an L20B that was luckily, for me, from a car so it had the 200mm clutch release bearing collar that I knew nothing about anyway. The heaters are crap for Ontario winters so I threw out the glove box and installed an air conditioner heat exchanger in the opening. (about 5 x bigger than the stock one) I found it in the dump and used a blower fan from a '57 (something) It had 4 225/75R14 truck tires, fiberglass front fenders, a '55 Chev gas tank in the box, tied down with bungee cords. Halogen lamps two pair of hi beams so 6 in all. Pretty skookum for the late '70s.  Alternator mounted on the driver's side because the bolts sheared off in the block. 510 buckets. Tranny froze in 4th found another for $20. Replaced the king pins twice and finally said fuck it and left them. Changed the oil and filter on a Sunday, drove to work Monday and the oil light came on in the parking lot. Filter blew open, split all around the base. Complained to Canadian Tier they gave me new oil and filter. Drove home, oil light on filter blown... wtf. Took oil pump out and the pressure relief was jammed with a small bit of aluminum casting. Scratched it off, complained to Can Tire got new oil and filter for free... problem solved. Driving around one night coasting down hill, step on gas and motor revs up and no go. Flywheel bolts all sheared off. The L20B sat in a snow drift all winter before I installed it. The crank bolt holes got rusty, bolts torqued up tight but weren't snug against the flywheel. Removed motor, drilled out bolts with Black and Decker, bought a tap and 6 oversize grade 8 bolts, holes not very straight but it held. Head gasket blew twice before I thought about it being warped. Ran a 210 head from the 510 while fixing it. Nissan dealer said it wouldn't fit. I drove it down there and the parts dept manager called the mechanics out to see it running. I lultzed.

She was my best friend through some bad times in my life. Great time now. So happy 5/21 everybody who loves them!!!!

Damn Datzenmike that was a great story. That's the kind of stuff that makes this all so good. Since I bought my truck, I have had nothing but good time wrenching, scrapping parts and meeting people along the way. This is much better than the sportbike scene!

Started this as a 521 appreciation. Didn't know it was going to go dirty on us!! You guys need to get a room.......Motel 6 perhaps. The do let the lights of for you!