scrapping a car in pieces?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on who you know.  Generally the rule of thumb is whole vehicles need a title.  Chunks of metal do not.  So if the car is cut into 5 pieces, generally no one is obligated to ask for titles.  Most moron methheads will not bother to cut a vehicle into 5 chunks as it takes a bit of time and effort.  They usually try to sell it piece by piece or roll in a whole shell, which then usually isn't accepted.

Maybe they're more resourceful in GA, I don't know.

thieves around here do this, steal a car and cut it up then sell it for scrap, no one apparently asks questions, idiots 

Yeah, I usually see that in the Honda market. Shit is crazy here. 

Maybe they're more resourceful in GA, I don't know.

You would be surprised man. 

A friend of mine was cleaning up his property and decided to scrap a few cars. He called the recycle center and had a container delivered, all they asked him was to remove the windows, tires, and the majority of the interior,"plastics-carpet-upholestry" ect.

Been there, done that.  I dunno about 5 pieces. Tkae a WHOLE day and a couple packs of cutting discs. Cut small pieces, make it no longer known as a car.. then bring it in.  Or call a back yard scrapper to come and take it, to do it...

Yeah, I usually see that in the Honda market. Shit is crazy here. 

You would be surprised man. 

I've been messing with old cars for about thirty years and for most of those years Georgia was host to a multitude of title services that advertised in the back of Cars and Parts and Hemmings magazines. It was (is?) very easy to get a title for a derelict vehicle in Georgia....? I knew an Air Force E-5 circa 1990 who was driving a gorgeous '55 Chevy tudor post. He said it had sat abandoned on a farm next to his dad's back in Georgia for years. One day dad pulled it from the neighbor's farm to his, had the VIN run and got a title for it.

I know that some states (mine included) have relaxed their own laws regarding abandoned/derelict vehicles in the last few years so maybe those GA title services are no longer necessary.