720 headlight/wiper switch assembly ?

DREWSDIME

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It should work. I used a variable delay wiper stem and added the variable delay box. My wire harness was only for the mist or non adjustable delay so I had to add wires to the stem. Works just fine. The 4x4 didn't get the variable and I think not the king cabs. Any model STs had them. 

It should work. I used a variable delay wiper stem and added the variable delay box. My wire harness was only for the mist or non adjustable delay so I had to add wires to the stem. Works just fine. The 4x4 didn't get the variable and I think not the king cabs. Any model STs had them. 

Where is the box located? I saw one of these switches at the yard and was going to get it but held off until I could verify it would work.

To have a variable delay you must get the 'amplifier' box. It's slightly above and to the right of the steering column under the dash. Looks somewhat like the interior lamp timer and the fuel pump relay.

2238135_f248.jpg

To have a variable delay you must get the 'amplifier' box. It's slightly above and to the right of the steering column under the dash. Looks somewhat like the interior lamp timer and the fuel pump relay.

2238135_f248.jpg

I looked around for something like that but I didn't see anything.. All I saw was two round silver electrical components. Almost like relays or something but round. One was twice the size of the other located in a plastic clip that held them both. Slightly to the left of the column.

I am having a helluva time finding one for mine. I can find non-intermittent all day long for cheap, but seems intermittent ones like mine are hard to come by. Even new reproductions.

You guys should invest in a service manual for your truck. Either Haynes or Chiltons. Although it can be vague in some areas mine has come in handy several times.

Thanks for the info I already have several manuals and you cant find this information in a manual, thats why Im asking here I knew someone had done it already

The FSMs are good though. They would show the wiring and location of all these parts, how to remove them etc..

I need a little help with the extra wires. The wiring diagrams I've looked at are a little weird.. either that or I'm not reading it right... I need to figure out where these 3 extra wires need to go. On the harness I've got 3 green wires. On the wiper switch, I've got 6 wires. Let me grab some pictures for reference.

42329566_zps1db16168.gif

• Like 1

This is what the harness and plug from the donor truck looks like:

2013-05-11_22-42-46_508_zpsb629fa6f.jpg

This is what the harness looks like on my truck. Missing 3 wires.
2013-05-11_22-42-26_853_zps601210b9.jpg

And here are both sides of the plug coming off the turn signal switch.

2013-05-11_22-42-03_977_zps8775e0ad.jpg
2013-05-11_22-41-49_991_zpsa50b4a67.jpg

I don't see these colors on the wiring diagram.. unless.. L is Light? hmm.. looking again.

2013-05-11_22-42-46_508_zpsb629fa6f.jpg

The wires and plug at the very top of the picture   are the wiper controls I think.Black, Black/White, Brown, Blue/Yellow, Blue/Red and Brown/Red all you need do is add a jumper wire from the adjuster to the amplifier. I think this what I did.

The adjustable intermittent wiper wires go through the turn signal plug, therefore the wires if you have them will be there in the harness with the proper plug, otherwise you will have to wire it yourself, I have never done it myself, as that is not even on my top 100 list of things to figure out, because the regular intermittent setup works for me.

I've got all the wires at the wiper amp plug. Those are all good.. I'll take another look at this and see what isn't working at this point. The thing throwing me off were the wire colors.. I still can't confirm I've got the right diagrams.. But I'll confirm it.

Turns out... the intermittent wipers work just fine. The missed matched plug is actually for the turn signals. Or that is what is currently not working. That would explain the discrepancy with the wire colors and the wiper schematic. Going to dig into the turn signal diagram now.

I got everything working. Here is the post I made in my personal thread:

I've been working on installing intermittent wipers on the truck. Ran into an issue with a plug that had extra pins.. the whole time I thought it was the wiper plug but turns out it was actually for the turn signals. Old plug had 3 wires on a 4 pin plug. New one had 6 wires in a 6 pin plug.

After finding out that the wipers were actually plug and play (harness had the extra wire for the wiper amp already), I found the turn signals weren't working. The plug with the extra pins was for the turn signals. Out of the 6 wires, 3 of them were the same as the other connector so I just connected them together. I didn't want to spice any connectors in so I depinned the old connector and crimped the wire into the spade connectors and taped then up. That way, if I ever need to go back.. or a future owner needs to replace the switch they can simply switch right back. (Future owner, you can thank me later.)

2013-05-19_16-07-55_608_zps3ce5f813.jpg

2013-05-19_16-07-59_495_zpseb158584.jpg

2013-05-19_16-07-28_943_zpsdc5db723.jpg

After that, everything worked just fine. Here is the end result:

2013-05-19_18-39-09_10_zps8a8c255f.jpg

2013-05-19_16-37-49_423_zps43c79dce.jpg