MN to WA, Datsun style.

I plan on making a road trip in the 240z half way across the country to go get my woman and her puppy. I live in Minnesota (mpls) and will be going straight to Washington.  Along the way  I believe I will be going through some mountain roads on my voyage.  now I have heard several different things on driving in the mountains with a car with a carb. let along a car with three carbs.    I am trying to make sure I make it though them damn mountains to get my woman.

the car has a rebuilt l24 in it. bored to a 2.7l, comp cam (280 lift 460 duration?)  mallory electric ignition, header, twice pipes. high comp, built valve train,  new triple weber 40 dcoes, holley red fuel pump, holly adjustable fuel pressure regulator.  

the car will get:  new performance radiator, thermostat, fluids, plugs,u-joints, a once over of all the nuts and  bolts.

I will have back up : oil, coolant, water jug, tools, flares, scissors jack, full spare, fix a flat, spare belts.

I am not worried about things breaking more about the tune and how the car will handle with all that thin mountain air!  this drive will be a 24+ hour drive (two days min) I am looking to make this as smooth and as headache free as possible.   This is were I turn to Ratsun and it's wonderful members. What are some types for mountain driving? what steps or tools could I bring along to help make the mountains a little more friendlier to my car.   I could totally be wrong and my car could run great when I run into them. BUT KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. so I want all the knowledge I can obtain! 

If you have any little piece of info that could help me or be beneficial to my trip, please leave some kind words as they would be greatly appreciated.

this is my first "road trip"   I just want to have a good understanding of things I might run into, or experience on my way!

said car I will be taking  :   015.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you bring flares? Is that so you can change to deeper dish wheels along the way? :rofl:

No real experience with elevation changes for carbs, but I would recommend a cigarette lighter cell phone charger if you don't have one. Would suck to be on the road with a dead phone and no way to call for help.

There was a member who drove from Seattle to Long Beach and broke down a bit along the way. Posted to Ratsun from the roadside for advice and even got a member to show up and help wrench.

Good luck on your journey.

do you have good insurance that covers towing? Tools, wrenches, plyers, screw drivers, sockets, duct tape, fuses, GPS system.  But maybe you can't bring that much because Zs don't have much room and also you have to pick her up and maybe she has a lot of stuff, may want to touch base with her. also maybe hook up some mech. gauges (voltage, temp and oil pressure).  Bring some cash, in case places don't accept credit cards or ATM is out. Good luck.

If you are going I94/I90 the hills/mountains  you will encounter aren`t really high enough to make much difference.. The mountains west of Missoula are pretty steeep but not really all that high elevation wise.. The Cascade Mts East of Seattle are total cake, your car wont even notice going up them.

We traveled to Wyoming from western Washington on more than a few occasions and i have never taken a 100% dependable car so i can tell you if what we drove can easily go up those hills ,,, anything can.

If your going through Butte early in the morning go to the conveniace store over by the airport and get yourself a few pasties for the road....It`s like a dry beef stew in a pizza pocket thing ,, although written out it sounds not so good,, it`s a total om nom nom

And,,,,,, where in Washington are you going to?

Why would you bring flares? Is that so you can change to deeper dish wheels along the way? :rofl:

No real experience with elevation changes for carbs, but I would recommend a cigarette lighter cell phone charger if you don't have one. Would suck to be on the road with a dead phone and no way to call for help.

There was a member who drove from Seattle to Long Beach and broke down a bit along the way. Posted to Ratsun from the roadside for advice and even got a member to show up and help wrench.

Good luck on your journey.

Would you believe he meant emergency Road Flares?  You know those cruddy red things rolling around in your trunk with spikes in their butts. 

I know you are pulling our legs, but there are an unbelievable number of literate minded if not illiterate readers in the classic sense [just read some of the recent posts] looking or lurking here and I didn't want to confuse what passes for a mind inside their skulls.

• Like 1

I have taken a 521 over Tioga pass in California, with no problems, other than loss of power. 9943 Feet above sea level.

The same 521 has towed a light 16 foot boat, with a Mercury in line 6 135 hp outboard up to Timberline Lodge, about 6000 feet with no problems.

I do not think your Z will have any problems caused by the altitude.

make sure your fuel pump and filter are good. bring a bottle of bleach in case you run into snow or ice, pour it on your back tires, it will help with grip(sounds odd, but works better than anything I've ever seen or heard of). make sure all your fuel lines are secure and not brittle or breaking up. might want to bring a few spare feet of vacuum and fuel line, don't take up much space and will be really handy if you happen to hit something a bit too sharp. also, bring a bottle of brake fluid. can be used as clutch fluid in a pinch, and unless you drive this daily you wont know if yours burns through it while driving or not(my 510 burned thru clutch fluid for a while, master was going out but not quite gone yet, only leaked when I pushed the clutch in so I never figured it out until it was too late, no puddles under my car or anything.) other than that, have fun!

If your going through Butte early in the morning go to the conveniace store over by the airport and get yourself a few pasties for the road....It`s like a dry beef stew in a pizza pocket thing ,, although written out it sounds not so good,, it`s a total om nom nom

CornishPastry_x3c9us.jpg

Awww yeah! Called a Cornish Pastie in the rest of the world. Good stuff!

As for advice. Get a AA membership with a 100 mile tow. It is relatively cheap insurance at $100 a year.

• Like 1

Alright guys Thanks for the replies!

My car does not leak  or burn any oil.
I have AA card and if it does come down to it. I have access to a tow. 
It is also good to hear that most think the mountains wont be a problem for the car.
all the original gauges work in the car.

I will have a nice small tool bag on me.
included in the bag are: tools, bulbs, belts. booster cables, spare fuel filter.

other misc stuff:  fluids( oil, coolant, brake fluid)  full size spare/ scissor jack. small cooler with drinks and snacks. camera,go pro hero 2.

I will also be going straight to Seattle to pick the two up, then we will most likely  be off to Everette to visit her mom and sister. 1 month to this day I leave on this adventure!

If you are still over here on the weekend of the 8th and 9th of June there is a all Datsun car show in Canby Oregon and you could go from there,, up to the 84 and east till i82 then up to the i90,,, easy peezie.

Pics from last year.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/32609-canby-2012-are-we-there-yet/page-74

I will also be going straight to Seattle to pick the two up, then we will most likely  be off to Everette to visit her mom and sister. 1 month to this day I leave on this adventure!

When you make it up to Everett send me a PM! i would love to check out your z in person!

also thanks to everyone who has gave me some ideas on this subject.  my trip is going to be delayed for a bit,
the woman needs to wrap up some court before she can leave! hopefully that will be sooner then later! this gives me
more time to collect parts to slap on before the trip!