71 510 Goon aka extended extended cab RIP 620

I got this truck when my brother was out west with me for a bit, and fell in love with it. Heres a photo of it when I got it.

I think i've done enough to justify a build thread.. ha

614854_10151160481885730_1488896671_o_zp

Was misfiring really bad, so we got it home and rearranged the plug wires into the right order and started firing right again.

Had a hitachi on it when I got it, took it out for its first road trip as my brother and I went on. Ended up driving it to Medford for parts from Eugene... (after only having it a week) had some throttle sticking issues and a couple other little hitachi problems. Got this photo on that drive down!

329598_10151180817555730_1303096190_o_zp

So much rust.... oh man so much rust!

Drove it like this for about 4 months before I decided to start making some changes.

(plan on updating this soon, so stay posted!)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

After I had the truck for a while, started learning about this truck better and realized that these wedge/spring/wtf is this pieces between the axle and the frame was not stock.. The PO had shimmed them in to lift the truck... So I knocked those out and found some steelies to throw on it for the time being. gave it a nice stance but it needed moar loar.

So I bought some lowering blocks and dropped it 3" to where she sits now.
FTL_4363_zps286864dc.jpg

Next thing was the motor... it was well on its way out when I got it, but it finally kicked. Just ran into the ground far too many times. So I found a new heart for her from Good ol' EagleAdam. Replaced it and got it running and now she purrrrrrs B)
FTL_2123_zpsb7111caa.jpg
Heres the new one!
FTL_1828_zps0b220039.jpg

...Well until.....

..Until I blew a head gasket....and As everyone told me, DO NOT DROP THE TENSIONER, I ended up dropping it. fuck...

Adam was down for the weekend and helped me fix my head gasket, which is much appreciated.

Once we had the head pulled, put studs in all the intake & mani. Made life so much easier in reassembling this. wow..

Before
FTL_6220_zps4fb9c037.jpg

After

FTL_6223_zpse4ed4d5c.jpg
Replaced

Heres a few more photos from the day.
FTL_6208_zpsed5c95ca.jpg

FTL_6243_zps2f2fa8e4.jpgFTL_6244_zps5677a82a.jpgFTL_6248_zps9f14f7a3.jpgFTL_6249_zps3ceda667.jpgFTL_6254_zps5717f380.jpgFTL_6258_zps1ce39fd5.jpgFTL_6263_zps200df8f6.jpgFTL_6264_zps03248fae.jpg

Tried starting it after, realized we didn't prime the oil pump...... just kidding.

But seriously, started right up, then died. Tried a few more times, still nothing. once we get the timing adjusted right, i think we will be back in buisness until something else breaks.... :thumbup: 

this guy...... all lolz

but being cereal i dont see a vid of it running 

I haven't gotten it running yet. My dizzy was 180, I had to modify a couple wires to make it work. We set it back to the correct spot and now I have to go back and correct those errors. Taking a Datsun vacation for a couple days to get caught up on work so I don't loose my job. Never good to get burned out!

So This cab has terrible rust. I mean almost unsafe bad...Today, it turned into unsafe bad...I had previously shimmed some cardboard behind my seat (so I didn't accidentally drop stuff out of my cab!). So while driving it today, from the whole in the cab, some how the cardboard caught fire... So i pulled over in time to get out and by then it caught total fire :crying:   Pulled my belongings out and poured a jug of water on it.......So now i have now seat & headliner and i think its time for a new cab. Ohh what a day. ill post a photo soon.